CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 391 Gas Port Cleaning Tool
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:36 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A couple of weeks ago I posted a question about a problem I was having with FTE (failure to eject) from a 391. I appreciate the helpful responses.

To make a long story short, it turned out to be caused by dirty gas ports, even though I had carefully cleaned them (or I thought I had). A hard carbon deposit had built up inside the ports, even though I had rodded them out with a stiff wire. I finally reamed out the carbon with a drill bit, and was amazed at the amount of carbon that came out. No more FTE. That's what I will be using to clean them from now on.

I found that a 7/64" or 1/8" bit will work. The 7/64 bit may be a little easier to use, but the 1/8 bit fits tighter and thus cleans better, but will not cut the metal if you turn it by hand.

You need to hold the bit with something other than your fingers, so you can twist it with a little force. I actually used a small electric drill the first time, but be careful not to cut any metal that way. I then held the bit with a small pair of Vice Grips and that works, but isn't real convenient. I found a Ryobi bit at Home Depot that is made to fit in a hex chuck, and that works fine. I also found that a standard 1/8" bit will fit in a scriber that I had (also available at Home Depot) with the scriber point removed.

Both bits are illustrated below. I plan to keep the Ryobi bit in "The Mother of All Gun Cleaning Kits" which I carry with me to all tournaments.

Post subject: Re: 391 Gas Port Cleaning Tool
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:50 pm 
Crown Grade

For $10 + S&H, you can get one with a fancy wooden handle :wink:

http://www.shotgunsportsmagazine.com/pr ... nches.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Humpf....I wondered why nobody sold one of those....

Oh, well....

But I wonder... that is a screwy description of the one at Shotgun Sports Magazine. It says "bleed holes in the gas cylinder". I've never heard gas ports called "bleed holes". Also, they describe it as a "punch". It looks like a smooth stiff pin, and that was what I had tried to use, without much success. The drill bit will actually cut the crud out when you twist it by hand.

Have you actually used one of the Shotgun Sports punches?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:02 pm 
Crown Grade

MrBen wrote:

Have you actually used one of the Shotgun Sports punches?

Nah - I just use "pipe cleaners" on the gas ports of my 1100s.

Maybe Santa will get me the gas port cleaner and trigger pin punches as stocking stuffers later this year :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:30 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Maybe it depends on what kind of ammo you shoot, but pipe cleaners just didn't do it for me. I had some pretty hard, stubborn stuff in there.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:11 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

For such jobs, and for uses they are made for, a pin vise is pretty hard to beat. I use one similar to the one below but is sold for cleaning cutting torch tips, or enlarging holes in tips. Works very well and has storage for bits in one end. $5.95 at a welding supply store.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:19 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Aha! Welding supply, huh? I searched for a pin vice at Home Depot and couldn't find one.

That's the ticket - a pin vice with a 1/8" bit stored inside!