CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: cheddite 209 primers load data
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:08 am 
Field Grade

I just got a sleeve of Cheddite primers and can't find any loadind data for my application. 1 oz., AA hulls, Clays, CB1100. Anyone have a pubished data for 1150 or 1200 fps. Thanks for any help, Lord knows I need all I can get.

Post subject: Re: cheddite 209 primers load data
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:47 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

I think it is safe to say you can use Winchester Data (W209) with your combination, if you keep it down to 1200 feet and one ounce. They are supposed to be interchangable as far as recipes are concerned, but I don't know that I would use them in a typical max pressure situation with Winchesters.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:08 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

http://www.hodgdon.com<=click here to get to Hodgdon's website.

A quick look at my 2004 Hodgdon Basic Reloaders Manual I found a few 1 1/8 oz loads. No 1 oz loads. One Win AA 7/8 oz load with Int'l Clays.

The it seems to be right between Win 209 and Fed 209A looking at the 1 1/8 oz data.

NRA Life
NSCA Life + Level 1 Instructor
ATA Annual

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:03 am 
Crown Grade

I know it's the "wrong" answer but with all my sissy loads I have absolutely no issues with interchanging a Cheddite primer anywhere a Winchester is called for. I load one ounce loads that are in the 1150-1200fps or so.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:50 am 
Field Grade

I figured I wasn't going to blow anything up using the Win 209 and 15.3 of Nitro. Made some and shot um today. Nice recoil, fairly clean, patterns good. What more can you ask for. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:58 pm 
Diamond Grade

Since I had trouble finding any loads with Cheddite primers, I contacted Cheddite directly. They recommended doing everything the same as with the Win 209 primers...EXCEPT...they suggested using 1/2 gr less powder. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:06 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

I think indeed Cheddite primers are about 1/2 a grain hotter than WW primers, in 12 ga. Maybe more in 20 and 28!

BP

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:57 pm 
Field Grade

Half a grain of all powders??? That doesn't make alot of sense because some powders call for a lets say 28 grain charge a half a grain is pretty small change. But for nitro 100 .5 grains is a big difference when the charge is only 15 to start with. I guess I'll have to call France.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:41 pm 
Field Grade

I agree with Burnt Powder, Cheddite is hotter than winchester. As a rule of thumb, I have always compared them with fed 209A and still took into consideration the overall load.

I have interchanged primers for a long time with good results.. One must just be informed about what they are doing. Always compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges and then go a little to the safe side. Always look at the psi of the original published load. Determine the amount of room between safe and unsafe, double check the info and then make your decision. If published data is pushing 11500 psi, then I would stick with that. If published data is 9700 then I would look at similar or less hot primers. Just don't get to hung up on the exact match if you are catious and base decisions on known,recorded data. Study load tables. Compare similar components with similar results. You'll be fine.

Red Baron :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:09 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

after doing a little research on the subject, since i use a bunch of cheddite primers, the best that can be said, is that SOMETIMES, WW-209 primers generate more pressure than the cheddite, and SOMETIMES, the cheddite generates more pressure than the WW-209! :?

for lower end loads, one should not have a problem. as pressures get near the five figure range, a recipe from a reputable source should be followed precisely! :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:04 pm 
Field Grade

Exactly!!!! What I was trying to say with a lot less words..

Red Baron

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:10 am 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

If you guys think EVERY brand and type of primer ALWAYS is exactly the same and ALWAYS performs exactly the same in EVERY application to within 50 psi of published presure or so you are either very naive or very ill informed. Heck, just the difference in the depth of crimps and number of times a hull was been reloaded makes more difference in presure that the difference between a WW 209 and a Cheddite primer more times than not! That is precisly whay we tell folks to keep back from the high end of chamber pressures becausse primers don't always perform the same, some hulls are stiffer and smaller than others, some crimps are deeper than others, I could go on adnausium. If you stay in the 9500 to 10,000 psi load range you can pretty much use any primer you happen to have other than 209As and magnuum CCIs without any danger. Primers aren't rocket science! And if you saw how they were made, you'd be surprised they are as uniform as they are.

BP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:56 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

dittos for BP

i consider any 12 ga. load that clocks much over 9000 psi to be unacceptable. i have a 10000 psi limit for small bores. differences in crimp depth can elevate pressures, and i crimp pretty deep. :wink:

as BP also said, there are NO hard rules for one wad or one primer to always produce more or less pressure. DISCRETION is a wonderful thing. :D