CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Heritage Arms Rough Rider .22LR/.22MAG combo
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

Does anybody have one of these? If so, can you give me a review?

Post subject: Re: Heritage Arms Rough Rider .22LR/.22MAG combo
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:25 am 
Tournament Grade

For a little more money, I'd go with a Ruger Single Six.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:53 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have one and it has served me well. Fits my hand better than the Ruger but no ruger fits my hand. Have shot a lot of shells through it mag and lr and no problems. Bluing isn't the best and some has started to wear. For the money it is a nice little gun.

"I dare do all that may become a man; Who dares do more , is none"
Bill S.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:29 pm 
Tournament Grade

jaybones wrote:
For a little more money, I'd go with a Ruger Single Six.
How much is a Single Six ?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

I can get a Rough Rider for $170.00 or I know of another place where I can get one for $140.00 both are new. I'm not sure what the one that is $140.00 comes with though. I will have to check it out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

mossbergman15 wrote:
I can get a Rough Rider for $170.00 or I know of another place where I can get one for $140.00 both are new. I'm not sure what the one that is $140.00 comes with though. I will have to check it out.

Some models of the RR are made with an alloy frame, some are made with a steel frame. The steel frame costs a bit more and from what I've read holds up much better. The alloy frame is not available in all states. Also some models have adjustable sights, some don't. I considered buying one once and read a lot of user reviews. Most owners seemed happy enough with it for the price. My take was, as a weekend plinker it's a decent, fun gun for a small investment. It has a good safety, they're pretty accurate, and they're good trainers. But if you plan to shoot a lot, (or get hooked and start to shoot alot after you get the RR), you'd probably be happier with a better made revolver and the Ruger Single Six is a popular choice. The RR is not a junk gun, plus you get the 22 Mag cylinder (although 22 Mag ammo is pretty expensive). I'd be guided by my intended use as there are many good 22LR pistols out there.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:35 am 
Diamond Grade

A gunsmith friend of mine can't say enough bad things about the rough rider. He absolutely hates them. He does gunsmithing out of his own shop, but also works at a local sporting goods store where he is the firearms dept manager. They started carrying the Heritage Arms rough riders due to some contract with a distributor. He is pissed about it. I don't know if they are really that bad, but the Ruger is by far a better made firearm. Just a note, dual use .22lr/.22WMR revolvers aren't always the most accurate. The two bullets aren't the same diameter. But if you shoot a handgun the way I do, you'll never notice.

Salmoneye wrote:

Bullet diameter on the .22WMR is .224 inches...

Bullet diameter on the .22LR is .222 inches...