CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Struggling with handicap shooting
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:18 pm 
Utility Grade

Joined a local trap league recently - first time I've shot trap in 15+ years, and I am having a blast. Enjoy it very much. We shoot 25 from the 16, and then handicap based on your first score. Last week, one of my team members shot a 25 (I shot a 22) and I had to shoot from the 23 yard line. I shot an 11. Very disappointed. Last night, I shot my first 25 ever and was very happy. It was short-lived, however, when I realized I had to shoot from the 25 line. I shot a 13 and never felt comfortable. Any tips on shooting from the handicap range, say 23+ yards? I have a lot of room to improve.

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Struggling with handicap shooting
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:44 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

When you get it figured out, let me know the secret too! Seems like instead of getting better at the handicap distances, my short scores are getting worse to match! :cry:

BP

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:22 pm 
Limited Edition

A lot of new shooters at handicap will tend to ride the target a little longer then is necessary. You want to catch the bird on the rise and not the fall. Just shoot them like you do on the 16's, and don't think that it is harder farther back. Thinking in this game is when you get into trouble. Practice, which means just shooting more targets will make you more comfortable as you move back in yardage.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

MJ That's real good shootin there. As for tha caps I think you may hav been trying too hard. Just do what you did on the 16 all the way back to the 24 or so. I would want to know the load you used and the choke for both 16 and caps. As far as the caps you did bust were they smoked or chunks? That will tell the tale.

Really great shooting though, Keep it up!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:44 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the input, guys.

The chokes I have are CYL, IMP CYL, MOD, IMP MOD, FULL. I used the MOD for the 16 yard, and the IMP MOD for the handicap. (I have an o/u) The loads I used were;

16 yard
Winchester Super-Target
2 3/4 in
2 3/4 dram
1 1/8 oz
8 shot
1145 FPS

Handicap
Winchester AA xtra-lite target load
2 3/4 in
2 3/4 dram
1 oz
8 shot
1200 FPS

From the 16, all but three birds were really pulverized - what I thought were excellent hits. From the handicap, almost all of my hits were what I would consider a poor hit, with the bird just kind of fragmenting into 2-3 big pieces.

Thanks again for the help.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:03 pm 
Limited Edition

Shoot them the same as 16s. Don't be cautious!

Did you shoot the same barrel for 16s and hdcp? Sometimes O/U will pattern barrels differently. Improved modified should be just fine.

The 1200fps 8s is certainly enough to break any clay. Increased recoil may cause you to raise your head.

It is said that past 23yds a higher point of impact is helpful.

A game to practice is called a slider. The squad starts at 19yd line and shoot 1 shot then move back to the 21 and shoot 1 shot and then move back to the 23 and so fourth. When on the 27yd and ready to change you move to the next post 27yd line and shoot 5 shots moving forward back to the 19yd line. You will learn that you can shoot all the same.

Concentrate
Focus
See the target
Touch the target - fire!
Follow-through

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

OK lets look at this. You were smashing them on the 16 and then you used a tighter choke and less shot. You may have a poor patern with the IM and 1 oz load. Go back to what worked the best on the 16 and go from there. Only make one change at a time (ie Choke, shot load, shot size, Velosity + - 100fps) you will start to even up your 16 and caps score. I agree with above use the same barrell, I change from time to time but I try to keep it the same all day. I shoot 7/8 and 1oz loads all at around 1200, the 1 1/8 ma be hard to handle 3 - 4 hundred a day but they sure break them clays. It would more than pay off to pattern a few loads with a IM and full. I practice with X-Full and when I feel good I use it all day. Get back in the zone on the 16 and carry that with you to caps.

have fun

when ya shoot again?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:32 pm 

Killian's Red wrote:
A lot of new shooters at handicap will tend to ride the target a little longer then is necessary. You want to catch the bird on the rise and not the fall. Just shoot them like you do on the 16's, and don't think that it is harder farther back. Thinking in this game is when you get into trouble. Practice, which means just shooting more targets will make you more comfortable as you move back in yardage.

What he said. Once you realize the difference is just a little distance, you'll start hitting them harder. It's almost better that you can get a broader sight of the house and bird when you are farther back. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:01 am 
Utility Grade

pijonsmasher wrote:
when ya shoot again?

Normally every Thursday night, but next week is a bye. We're five weeks into a nine week league.

Thanks for the help. I'm going to practice next week since we've got a bye, and try out the suggestions.

Pijonsmasher...
You mentioned I used less shot. Does the oz. measurement mean that there is a less quantity of pellets? 1 1/8 oz. vs. 1 oz?

Sorry for the basic questions...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:27 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

MJinCP wrote:
Does the oz. measurement mean that there is a less quantity of pellets? 1 1/8 oz. vs. 1 oz?

Yes, you have basically got it backwards from what most use, which is one ounce from the front and 1 1/8 from about the 24 yard line back.

Rule of thumb:

1 ounce of 8's= 407 pellets
1 1/8 oz of 8's= 457 pellets approximate

The only real difference I see between caps and 16's, is the caps are harder to see for me. And when I have a hard time seeing targets I will invariably shoot in front of them.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:41 am 
Tournament Grade

Thanks TexasTon

MJ thats you answer. I would shoot 1 oz most often but if the 1 1/8 dont bother you and they work the best use 'em. On league shoots that is 50 or so targets thats fine but reg. will be 300+ targets a day @ 100 at a time.

Have fun your shooting great!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:48 am 
Utility Grade

When I was choosing the loads for my shooting, I was focusing more on the velocity than the shot. I thought I should have a higher velocity for handicap than at the 16, due to the longer distance. So, is the 1145 FPS velocity ok for handicaps?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:29 am 
Presentation Grade

for trap shooting over here i use 1/4 3/4 and full fined that ok.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:46 am 
Tournament Grade

At 16 yards I shoot my BT-99 with modified and I use 3 dram loads all the way. I have teid 1 oz loads at the same velocity though and they are fine in 7.5 shot. For mid yards I use IM choke and the rest the same. For 25+ I use F either in my BT-99 or my Model 12 and 3 dram 1.125 oz shot in 7.5. If I were to standardize it would be to use 3 dram 1.125 7.5s all over. As to one choke I'd use Full.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:29 pm 
Crown Grade

:o

Most new shooters have a slow swing on handicap targets. Try to speed up your swing just a little at first and continue to speed up as you scores improve. Your lead must increase a little to compensate for the longer distances.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:30 pm 
Crown Grade

Most new shooters have a slow swing on handicap targets. Try to speed up your swing just a little at first and continue to speed up as you scores improve. Your lead must increase a little to compensate for the longer distances.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:30 pm 
Crown Grade

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:06 pm 
Diamond Grade

Good point Otemeyer. I know I sometimes have a lazy swing, and it kicks the cr^p out of my handicap scores.

Funny what a couple of yards will do. I never think much of it when goose/duck hunting....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:48 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Most handicap targets are missed low and behind. Adjust accordingly.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:48 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Most handicap targets are missed low and behind. Adjust accordingly.