CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: al 391 urika vs. teknys
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:14 pm 
Utility Grade

I am definately buying a beretta 391 I just don't know what model to buy, right now I like the look of the teknys and it's silver reciever, but I've read about some issues on this forum with the sights and such. Please help with my decision.

Post subject: Re: al 391 urika vs. teknys
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:30 am 
DFW Dominant Predator

The problem lies with the Gold Teknys Sporting with the removable rib. Possibly resolved by now :roll:
The Teknys Field has no such problems.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:30 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

I have the AL 391 Urika Sporting 20 ga. I'm not that fond of the silver reciever and neon sight and the little green and blue spoty things myself. But to each his own!

BP

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:03 pm 
Limited Edition

I just bought a 391 urika optima sporting gun and really like it. In fact I went out and bought the trap model today.

You can almost buy 2 guns for the price of the teknys. But it is what ever floats you boat. I say more is better.

You can't go wrong with the 391 Urika Optima.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:50 am 
Limited Edition

I too am trying to decide between the Teknys Gold Sporting and the Urika Gold Sporting in 30" Bbl. The Teknys comes w/ built in recoil reducer in the stock. I think the Urika will handle one, but must be purchased for about $27. Also the Teknys has a 10x10 rib whereas the Urika shows a 10x8. Typically the Teknys will have nicer wood, although my Teknys Field model has developed a blush in the laquer finish where my cheek touches the stock which I've improved but not totally fixed w/ steel wool and thinned tru-oil. Are there any other differences I've missed? There is about $200 difference in cost.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:43 pm 
Limited Edition

Recoil is not an issue with the Urika. I put a Limb Saver recoil pad on mine and it is very soft shooting, heck it was soft with out it. I would not spend the extra money for the fancy recoil reducer that goes in the stock, it is not needed.

If you want "LOOKS" get the Teknys. There is nothing wrong with "pride of ownership".

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:52 pm 
Limited Edition

Recoil in itself is not an issue for me as I'm a large guy. What I'm wondering is if the extra recoil reduction will reduce the barrel jump enough to allow quicker acquisition of the second target. Also would the extra weight in the stock better offset the 30" barrel?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:05 pm 
Limited Edition

With 1 oz loads going @1235 fps there is very little recoil. I do not shoot doubles but I feel there is not enough barrel jump to effect a second shot. If that was a concern porting the barrel would be the ticket.

Just my .02 worth.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:06 pm 
Limited Edition

Thanks for the advice. I'm leaning towards the Urika Gold Sporting as the bells & whistles can be purchased and added on if desired. What I really should do is find a 30" Barrel and use it for clays on my Teknys Gold Field. The barrel seems to be scarce as a separate unit.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:30 am 
DFW Dominant Predator

Quote:
What I really should do is find a 30" Barrel and use it for clays on my Teknys Gold Field. The barrel seems to be scarce as a separate unit.

Check with your local Beretta Dealer. See if they will order one for you and cut you a better price than Beretta MSRP :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:24 am 
Tournament Grade

Here's the deal. I bought the Teknys Gold Sporting and yes there is a difference. It has a larger diameter stock which allows for a large 8.3 ounce recoil reducer. It also comes with a quick change Gel pad system, and interchangeable ribs are supposed to be available.

Now everyone read carefully before you jump my reply!

Having said this the re-coil is definetily less than my standard 391 Urika because of the extra weight of the gun itself; and the large factory re-coil reducer perfomance and weight which is too large to fit in any other 391 model standard stock.
If I could do it over again I would opt for the much less 391 Gold "not Teknys" because you can always add a recoil pad of your choosing, 2. The interchangeable rib options are not even available from Beretta as of date. And the difference in re-coil does not justify the price.
But it does shoot well. Good luck and maybe I will be posting it for sale soon so lookout.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

But the Teknys Gold Sporting looks so cool...the Gel-Tec recoil pad on mine is blue to match the enamel inserts...probably the best looking auto I've ever seen. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:44 am 
Limited Edition

FYI, I tood a deep breath and went w/ the Teknys Gold Sporting. I'm headed to the clays range to run a hundred through it this am. I shot a tournament yesterday, so I should have an immediate comparison between my 28" vs the new 30". The dealer had 3 new in the box and one had stand-out wood. I just had to have it. Might as well go shoot as the wife likely will be pretty mean until she gets over it.