CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Difference between 209 primers
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

What is the difference between the Winchester 209 primer for shot shells and the 209 for muzzle loaders? Can the one for the muzzle loaders be used for shot shells?

Post subject: Re: Difference between 209 primers
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:53 pm 
Crown Grade

The difference is in the packaging. Those meant for shotshells are generally not sold in plastic blister packs while those sold as a black powder firearm ignition source are. I have also found the "shotshell" primers to be cheaper per 100 than the "blackpowder" ones.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:00 am 
Tournament Grade

uglydog wrote:
... I have also found the "shotshell" primers to be cheaper per 100 than the "blackpowder" ones.

This is what I was looking for. I would have thought the
'blackpowder" ones would have been cheaper. Thanks for the information.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:08 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Nope, they are about 2 times the money! Same exact thing, just in a regular box with a special sticker over the normal 209 description and a $5.?? a box price sticker. Unless they are dirt cheap, on sale, pass, get regular shotgun primers.

BP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:34 pm 
Presentation Grade

I am not a Black Powder shooter. But a friend of mine is and he told me about the modifications people were making to the flash hole in the breech plug because the standard 209 primer for shotguns were too powerful and pushing the powder, patch and bullet away from the plug face and affecting consistency in accuracy from shot to shot. Then In the June issue of Outdoor Life, there was an article about the same problem, and how Rem. was selling special 209 primers for the Black powder Shooters to prevent moving the charge forward. V/R TonyG

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:21 pm 
Diamond Grade

TonyG - I read the same article in OL yesterday. I've experimented with various primers in my ML to see which works the best. I figured the hotter the better. However, so far some old Rem 97s are giving me the best accuracy with CCIs a close second. When I use Fed 209Ms, my groups spread to 5" at 50 yards!