CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winchester 1400, Jamming issues
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:38 am 
Utility Grade

Im about to buy a 1400 for 120, it's in ok condition but he says it wont shoot low brass shells because it jams up. is that a good price and is there any thing i can do to fix that problem?

Post subject: Re: Winchester 1400, Jamming issues
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:52 am 
Diamond Grade

Ordinarily, $200-$275 would be about right to pay for a 1400 in good condition, but this one doesn't sound as though it's in good shape. I suggest that you post your repair questions in the Winchesters only forum. Someone may have some ideas for you.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:05 pm 
Field Grade

I'd buy it. You can get get more $ than that for the parts if you decided to strip it down.

The jamming problem is usually a cleaning issue. Most of these guns have NEVER been taken down and cleaned. The 1400's gas system is inside the magazine tube, and for some reason that scares the heck out of the owner.

Find a exploded break down of the gun. Take it apart and clean it up. Check the gas piston for pitting... odds are, it's filthy and starting to pit. Clean it and put it back together before ordering parts. The 1400 will cycle very light loads, and should function even with a slightly pitted gas piston.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:02 pm 
Diamond Grade

I recently bought a very used 1400 for $145. Although I've redone it, all it really needed was a good cleaning which cal-boy aready mentioned. And very accurately I might add in terms of the gas piston. It's actually very easy to remove the gas piston assembly and clean so don't be intimidated by that. You can get a manual and drawing for it off of the Win website.

User Manual
http://www.winchesterguns.com/manuals/index.htm

Drawing
http://www.midwestgunworks.com/merchant ... model-1400

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:25 am 
Crown Grade

Heck I have the cheaper version of this shotgun, the winchester 140. I have never had any problems with it. if you pass on this deal let me know, I would buy it. especially if it has the winchokes :D My 140 has a fixed mod choke.
But as been said a good cleaning should solve the jamming issuse.

Mike.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have a Win 140. It jammed on a duck hunt. So I cleaned it. I got it from my Dad who shot it when he was on skeet and trap league teams. It had been shot for about 15 years and had never had the gas pisting cleaned. It really was dirty :lol:

It turned out to be a lot easier than I had thought it was going to be. It shoots superbly now. In fact I think it cycles faster than it did before.

Download the ownwers manual from the Winchester Repeating Arms site. It is in adobe.PDF form. Print it up and you will be in business.

Winchester 1200 12 Ga.
Winchester Model 37 20 Ga.
Winchester Model 140 Ranger 20 Ga.
Baikal IZH-27 20 Ga.

Proud to be a Rakkasan!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:10 pm 
Diamond Grade

1400 cleaning instructioons - I posted this a long time ago

That’s it. I can’t stand it any longer, isn’t there anyone over there in America who can take one of these guns apart. I will now attempt to explain the procedure, but first I will just confirm we are talking about the same gun. A Winchester 1400 or 1500 12b 3 shot semi auto. If that’s the case I will cast my mind back 10 yrs and explain. If I have made a mistake please correct me.
Take off the forend and barrel, then take out the trigger group.
With the gun butt down on a table or bench with mag tube vertical put a screwdriver in the spring just below the piston and press the spring down towards the receiver.
With the other hand round the mag tube push on the action bar to push the pin out of the piston, if it won’t move prize with a screwdriver gently, it’s only the spring pressure that holds the pin in.
Let go of the action bar and put free hand over the end of tube and release pressure on screwdriver till it is free then with care take out piston and spring remembering which way in the piston goes.
Put action bar aside and turn gun upside down, if the cocking handle and plate are held in by a small screw remove screw then with thumb and forefinger press in the firing pin slightly and twist cocking handle forward till rear of plate is clear of firing pin.
The plate can now be removed from the ejection port with a bit of fiddling around.
The bolt will now slide out of front of receiver.
If there is no screw it is the later type so just press in the firing pin.
All that is left is the ejector spring that is held in by a pin at the back of the receiver. On later models it is held in by a small clip and screw at the front that needs a jewellers crosshead screwdriver.
Assembly is reverse order

I hope I have this right and author accepts no responsibility for errors

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:22 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Hello Dave.

I thought that you were a Super X-1 guy. Next time you are over here to shoot I will bring my B 2000 so you can help me clean it.

Good to see you posting here.

"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers." Aldo Leopold

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:38 pm 
Diamond Grade

Hello Spencer

I have upgraded - must be 15yrs ago I had 1400 my first real semi + two for spares which are impossible to find over here.- took a lot of prizes with it but I wore it out.
Afraid I need those six lucky numbers now to come over again.

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:39 pm 
Crown Grade

DSPUK wrote:
Hello Spencer

took a lot of prizes with it but I wore it out.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

You must have shot the snot out of it for it to wearout!!!!!!

:lol:
Mike.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:54 am 
Tournament Grade

I had a 1400 with the same problem.. I also have a High standard that does the same thing, seems with low brass due to the fact that the bolt drops a bit when extracting the shells the low brass ones are bent just enough to make em stick.. but I found that with AAs its not as bad.. just when shooting the cheaper stuff.. :?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:17 pm 
Diamond Grade

md_beatt

Shot it to death - in the end it wouldn't load if the gun was pointing to sky -never did find out why - just ran it over and claimed on insurance (joking) :D

LR -- I have a High Standard Selectomatic? with cutts and selecta choke - that fails to load at times and I can't find out why - hasn't had a lot of use but don't shoot it because of eject/load problems - are you saying use high brass based shell?

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:30 am 
Tournament Grade

I use eithe mdeium brass or AA shells, seems the AA are more durable than the winchester cheapies ya get at wally world... :?