CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: HINT: How To Remove Dimples From 870 Express - (PICS)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:23 pm 
Tournament Grade

Let me put out a word of caution.

While I haven't heard of anyone using the socket method having bad result's, I had a very near fubar. To start with, my mag tube was out of round from the dimple's being pressed in. Using a 17mm Crafstman socket, I was actually able to straighten it out. The farther I drove the socket in, the better it got until it was finally perfectly round. One thing I would recomend to help take some stress of the joint where the tube is brazed into the reciever is to have someone hold it on a bed while you hit the socket. That way it's not clamped down solid and has some give. It seemed like a good idea to me.

But now the not so good. I was hitting it in little by little, and pulling the socket back out. Then it seemed like the dimple's weren't getting pushed out. So I looked in the tube and I was actually shearing them off. :? Well I was at the point of no return, so I had to keep going. When I was nearly done, the socket got stuck. I almost didn't get it out. I thought I was screwed and tattooed. :shock: It took what seemed like for ever to get the socket out by clamping vise grip's on it and hitting them with a hammer. I finally got it finished, but from shearing the dimple's off, I ended up with very sharp edge's inside the tube. I had to dremel the heck out of it. I'm sure I dremled more than if I just dremled the dimple's to begin with. What's strange is from the outside it look's like the dimple's are still there.

If I ever do another one, I won't do the socket method. I will buy this swage tool for $20, or a reemer type tool that Midway sell's.

http://www.xssights.com/NewProducts/index.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Wow, as has been previously stated, if you break the joint it's going to cost $$$. Get a dremel. I did mine in 5 min. Make sure you plug the reciever end to keep fileings out and go to town.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:22 am 
Tournament Grade

Has anyone here tried pressing the dimples out?

This guy made a cool tool that apparently worked great to remove the indents by pressing them out. Anyway, it seems to be a lot safer than hammering a socket into the tube.

Removing Dimples on Remington 870 Magazine Tube

I think I might give this a try on my 1100, if I can find pieces that will fit.

"Dad, when I grow up I want to be a diver..."
"Nonsense son, no-one has ever done both."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

It's just all about the correct size socket. At first you can use a bit smaller. Never use a socket that would barely fit the tube even the dimples removed. That's why you tap the rest with a punch.

DON'T screw it up with too big socket and too much force.

If you look carefully my pics, you'll see the socket is a bit smaller in outside diameter than the tubes inside diameter. SHould have stated it earlier.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:00 pm 
Field Grade

Just did mine in anticipation of receiving a +2 Wilson mag extension in the mail next week. Was a little uneasy about it at first, but once I got going it was quite easy. Socket was tight going in, but came right back out easily once the dimples were out. Checked a shell and it easily slips past the where the dimples were as does the follower. Looking forward to installing my extension next week!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

How do you guys keep the mag extension from coming loose?

Post subject: Re: Re: HINT: How To Remove Dimples From 870 Express - (PICS
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

jb1911 wrote:
How do you guys keep the mag extension from coming loose?

Barrel clamp.

Integrity. Some folks have it, some folks Don't.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:48 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have never removed the dimples, but if someone wanted to do the socket method, a pawn shop is a good place to go for a socket. You can often find the off brand ones in buckets for 25 to 50 cents each. If you know what diameter you want you should be able to get one for next to nothing. I have one Remington 11-87 where the dimples were drilled out.
I find it hard to get one of the old style spring retainers to go into the tube. It should work, but it is not as easy as putting one in a tube that orginally had that set up. Some game rangers would ticket you if you do not have a retainer installed when you have a required plug in the magazine tube. The strange part of that situation is if you made a plug out of a dowell that was the standard plug length with the extra length of whatever your magazine extention was and had it inside your tube with the extention you should be legal. You would have to take off the clamp and the extention tube to take it out so even though a ranger would give you a real hard look you meet the requirements of a plug that requires some effort to take out. This all is from the days when some people would leave their guns unplugged and take off the magazine cap to drop in a little dowell and put the cap back on if they saw a ranger. Some rangers are so hung up on trying to catch someone I had one use his little checker up the magazine of my Mag-10 which by its gas system design cannot hold more that two rounds.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:55 am 
Field Grade

Nightfisher wrote:
Just did mine in anticipation of receiving a +2 Wilson mag extension in the mail next week. Was a little uneasy about it at first, but once I got going it was quite easy. Socket was tight going in, but came right back out easily once the dimples were out. Checked a shell and it easily slips past the where the dimples were as does the follower. Looking forward to installing my extension next week!

Got the extension on and verified operation by cycling 6 shells 5 times with no hint of a misfeed either when loading or cycling. I was a bit worried because I can still feel a slight bump where the dimples were, but it does not seem to have any ill effect. Now I itching to get to my buddies range and put it to a real test!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:54 pm 
Field Grade

No feed issues or loading issues at all after testing at the range.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:48 am 
Tournament Grade

I guess poor people got poor ways ,I just put a wad of paper towell down the mag tube

and used my chain-saw file to file the nubs away .

YMMV Bob

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:22 pm 
Field Grade

bobbyjack wrote:
I guess poor people got poor ways ,I just put a wad of paper towell down the mag tube

YMMV Bob

If you say so. I don't have 2 holes in my mag tube from grinding out the dimples.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

Nightfisher wrote:
bobbyjack wrote:

YMMV Bob

If you say so. I don't have 2 holes in my mag tube from grinding out the dimples.

Damn right. You can also put the dimples back in with a prick punch if you want to.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Nightfisher wrote:
bobbyjack wrote:

YMMV Bob

I don't have any holes and I ground mine out with a dremel.

Integrity. Some folks have it, some folks Don't.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:13 pm 
Field Grade

liljake82 wrote:
Nightfisher wrote:
bobbyjack wrote:

YMMV Bob

All I'm saying is that could have been said in a way that sounds less like someone trying to be a prick.