CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FN Auto-5 Acier Special
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:21 pm 
Utility Grade

My father-in-law just inherited a shotgun from an uncle. It seems that "Unc" was stationed somewhere in Europe around WWII and purchased several guns and had them shipped home. This particular Auto-5 DOES NOT have Browning Arms, Ogden Utah stamped on it anywhere. It does have made on Browning patent stamped on the reciever. The safety is a slide type in the front of the trigger guard. The barrel is marked "Acier Special", and has a very funny looking choke system. The gun is in overall fair condition. Serial number is 105505. Numbers match on barrel and reciever. Could you tell me any other information on the shotgun?

Eric Jenkins[/b]

Post subject: Re: FN Auto-5 Acier Special
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:38 pm 
Diamond Grade

My high school French is pretty rusty, but I believe that "acier special" means special steel.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:15 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

Irish, Your high school French has served you well. Acier special means special steel.

BigE, Your gun was made by Fabrique National in Belgium. FN made all the Browning A5s that were sent to the US starting in 1923 until they were produced in Japan by Miroku starting in 1976. The FN guns had different engraving and wood the the Brownings. Your gun may date from 1906 to 1938 ( may be exceptions). If you post the first few numbers of the serial number,we may be able to date the gun. Tell us more about the choke system. Is there an astrik marked on the barrel(* or ** or **-,etc.)? A detailed description is always the best route to any gun's history. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:46 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the help guys, I'll have to get the gun and inspect it again. From this post and from searching in the archives I kinda know what to look for now. I'll get back with you in a couple of days. Maybe I can take some pictures.

E