CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cutting down Benelli Nova stock?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:58 pm 
Utility Grade

Greetings everyone!

I am looking to buy a shotgun for my wife. We're thinking of getting an adult gun and cutting down the stock b/c the youth guns all seem to have very short barrels.

I have a Benelli Nova 12 ga. and my wife can shoot it fairly well, but stock is of course too long. But, she does like several other things about this gun, including the synthetic stock, balance, weight, etc., so we were wondering whether we could purchase her one and shorten it up....

Has anyone tried to cut down one of the stocks to make it more small-person friendly? The stock itself is hollow (designed to accept a mercury recoil reducer) so it ought to work. :?:

Any thoughts or advice on this plan?

Absent this, any thoughts on another viable option?

Post subject: Re: Cutting down Benelli Nova stock?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 10:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hi Rangerez:

You've put your finger on one of the few drawbacks to the Nova (other than the love it/hate it cosmetics). the stock doesn't really doesn't lend itself to shortening. If you do cut down the stock, you'll lose the molded channel that the hand-removable recoil pad snaps into, so you really lose the recoil pad as well. You could probably work out a way to get slip-on pad properly placed on the shorter stock, but it's a one-way conversion and if it gets screwed up you're not only out the stock, but the whole receiver of the gun. Since getting a replacement receiver would be tough and expensive (possibly as much as a new gun), I'd judge this to be a questionable proposition at best.

As far as alternatives go, since she likes the syn stock, check out a Remiington 1100 Synthetic Youth 20Ga (around$450 in my neck of the woods). Other good choices in youth guns: Rem 870, Beretta 391 or Benelli Montefeltro short stock would all be good options, in increasing order of $$. Another alternative would be to buy a 12Ga 870 and restock it with a dedicated youth stock (Cabelas has Hogue offerings for less than $40).

Good Luck,
John

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 11:09 am 
Utility Grade

Very good points, John. I have a machining company locally who could address the recoil pad issue by filling in and tapping out a "plug" for the hollow stock, then placing on and grinding down to fit a new recoil pad. But you are very right--this is a get it right or lose the gun proposition and that is probably more risk than I am prepared to take.

I am leaning toward an 870 12 ga. with a new youth stock--that preserves the barrel length I want yet addresses the length of pull issues. I'll check out the Hogue offering. Thanks!

Ed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hi Ed:

Cabelas stock number SD-22-5877, order code 870. $37.99 on Pg 420 in the 2003 Fall Master Catalog, or online at www.cabelas.com .

See ya,
John

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:57 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Ed:

I've just found out that I passed you some info that is only half-accurate. I was doofing around the Benelli website and sure enough, there on the Nova page, is a statement that you can shorten the stock on a Nova 20ga. Of course I had to haul out my 12 & 20 and have a look... My 12 is exactly the way discussed earlier in this thread, but the 20 has a clever duplicate molded-in recoil pad channel, so it appears that you could cut an inch from the stock and still be good to go. You learn something new every day, I guess... Let me know if you decide to go that way, as I'll be interested to hear how it works out.

John

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:25 pm 
Utility Grade

John:

Thanks for that info! She might end up with a 20 after all since she is unlikely to hunt geese anytime soon. I'll let you know down the road what we go with and how it works out.

Ed