CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Whats the best powder for reloading?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:06 pm 
Field Grade

I have just started reloading and i would like to know which powder is better for reloading 12 gauge with 1 1/8 shot unique or clays

Post subject: Re: Whats the best powder for reloading?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:19 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

dear claybuster
if your question is of the two powders you mentioned, unique is better suited for heavy hunting loads in the 12. clays is ideal for light to medium target loads. clays has a very good reputation, and is one of the "standards" at the clay target field. clays also requires SUBSTANTIALLY less powder to get the job done :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:42 pm 
Limited Edition

Depending on what you're loading for,cheaper is better...
I was using Red Dot for 1-1/8 trap loads-just started using Promo,I can't see a difference in performance-Did buy a bag of shot with the $$ saved not buying the same amout of R.D. Good luck. Shane

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:30 pm 
Diamond Grade

I like Green Dot for trap loads, (1-1/8 oz at 1200 fps) and 700x for Skeet loads, (7/8 oz at 1200 fps).

Some of the reasons that I like GD is that the volume of powder helps to fill the case better for a little better crimp in the Hulls that I am using (Top Gun).

Once I start on my supply of STS hulls, it might be different, I don't know.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

It all depends of what velocity range you looking for in the those 1 1/8oz loads. If your wanting to load 1275-1300fps 1 1/8oz sporting clay loads than Unique is a pretty good choice. If your wanting loads in th 1200-1250 range than GreenDot is without a doubt my favorite. It's soft to shoot and not crazy priced. If you want 1150 loads than RedDot or Promo is what I use. Mostly what I shoot anymore are 1oz loads and use Promo for about 60% of them and GreenDot in the other 40%. For the $$ Promo is pretty tough to beat in anyload up to 1250fps.
RedHawk....The STS hulls have a little more capacity than the Top Gun but I'm sure you'll still like the GD your loading. I load both hulls and it works great.

Tim

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:19 pm 
Limited Edition

redhawk-what measure of greendot are your trap loads ? I did a bunch of handicappers--22.5 grns.what a shove they pack.I'd like to stick with 1-1/8 loads but haven't seen a minimum ammt. Shane

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:16 am 
Diamond Grade

ClayBuster15 wrote:
I have just started reloading and i would like to know which powder is better for reloading 12 gauge with 1 1/8 shot unique or clays

Of the two choices you ask about, I have only used Clays. I can't say enough good things about it though, it is a fine powder, and the only one I use now. Try a pound of each if you want to compare, before investing in a big jug.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:28 am 
Diamond Grade

SAS98M wrote:
redhawk-what measure of greendot are your trap loads ? I did a bunch of handicappers--22.5 grns.what a shove they pack.I'd like to stick with 1-1/8 loads but haven't seen a minimum ammt. Shane

It averages out at about 21 grains.

I use the MEC bushing #34, which throws from 20.5 to 21.5 grains depending on who knows what?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:39 pm 
Limited Edition

Redhawk,I'm using that 34 bushing also-dropping 22.4 grns. I've had a dehumidifier goin' in the basement all summer-could be humidity related...Shane

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:36 am 
Diamond Grade

SAS98M wrote:
Redhawk,I'm using that 34 bushing also-dropping 22.4 grns. I've had a dehumidifier goin' in the basement all summer-could be humidity related...Shane

I do my shotshell loading in my pole barn out at the family shooting range, so the humidity is whatever the humidity is, which is usually pretty high here in SW Michigan.

I do put the powder back in it's container when I am done for the day and screw the lid down.

I understand why I get one grain variation charge to charge, that is the nature of measuring a flake powder with any volumetric device attached to a press where there is bumping and thumping going on, but I do not understand why you should be dropping an average of a full grain more that I am.

Have you weighed 10 charges or so in a row to ascertain an average?

It could be humidity I suppose, or a different lot of GD, and I suppose a dimensional difference in the bushings. :?:

It's a puzzlement. :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:02 am 
Diamond Grade

A full grain difference with the same bushing from one person to another dosnt overly surprise me. There's alot of variables. Powder lot #, the way a person cycles the machine, powder baffles, machine leakage, even the differences in individual bushings. I have two #35 bushings that drop .8 different on average with GD when used in the same machine with the same powder lot#. Thats why is so important to always use a scale when loading. If not for safety for peice of mind in knowing what your actually dropping.

Tim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:42 am 
Diamond Grade

I agree to that.

However, the fluctuation in powder charge that I am experiencing-about 1 grain- does not seem to effect the ballistics much. I have chronographed this load and the hi/lo extremes amounted to about 35 fps for 10 shots 3 feet from the start screen.

That is why I don't fret about it.

Once I get the velocity I want, I do the patterning and tweak it in to get a good even pattern and then chrono again.

It takes about 50 shells to know what is what, but it is time well spent.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:02 am 

International Clays seems to be the most widely used.

That and the DOTS.

:)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:23 pm 
Field Grade

I use Promo with claybuster ounce wad in AA shells.. for handicap I use green dot with an 1 1/8 once wad in AA also very quick and not much kick for a handicapped shell.. Ive used this same load for years and have had very good luck with both loads..

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:04 am 
Field Grade

Hands down, clays is the better one!!!!! Very clean and very reliable.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:06 am 
Field Grade

Hands down, clays is the better one!!!!! Very clean and very reliable.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

Alliant was promoting a new powder at the Grand... It is called CLAY DOT... Measure is about the same as Int. Clays. Most all of their powders are something DOT. I asked the Alliant man " You guys make powder for the military, right?"... " Yes" he replied, I asked" So do you call it Iraqi Dot?"... he wasn't humored.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:37 am 
Field Grade

I just reloaded and shot 100 rounds of 1 1/8 oz, 1200 fps shells using Hodgdon Titegroup. For me, the drops were much more consistent than with Clays. With Clays, my powder drops are +/- .3 grains. With Titegroup, they were virtually right on the money every time, 17 grains with a MEC #19 bushing. To get 1200 fps with 1 1/8 oz, I used Gun Club hulls, 17 gr of Titegroup, Remington TGT12 wads, Win 209 primers and Remington #8 Magnum Shot. Titegroup is less expensive, $12.95 per pound vs. $12.95 per 14 oz for Clays, and I use 1.4 grains less of it to get 1200 fps than I would if using Clays. So I can load about 80 more shells for the same money using Titegroup. The recipe in the Hodgdon manual calls for Rem Fig 8 wads, but my crimps were too deep, so I called Hodgdon and asked if I could use TGT12 wads, and they said it was okay. Pressure in the 1200 fps loads with Clays is 11,300 PSI. With Titegroup, it's 9,900 PSI. Both are safe, but the Clays load is pushing the envelope. Also... using all Remington components, or all Winchester components, you can get up to 1255 fps with 1 1/8 oz Titegroup loads. You can't do that with Clays. 1200 fps is the max for 1 1/8. In 1 oz loads, you can get up to 1345 fps with Titegroup, 1290 fps with Clays. So... it is more versatile, more consistent and less expensive than Clays. BTW, I shoot a gas Semi-auto, and Titegroup burns just as clean as Clays, as near as I can tell. One more thing... I am using TITEGROUP not TITEWAD!! http://www.hodgdon.com/data/shotshel/ti ... -super.php

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:18 am 
Presentation Grade

Any one use winchester superfield? I was thinking about switching over from my Aliant powders I have been loading 12ga 1 1/8oz at 1200fps with red dot, and unique and for my 20ga I would use unique or herco for a 7/8oz 1200fps load. I was looking at the load data for the WSF powder and I like what I see, a lot less powder and faster loads I want to load my trap and sporting clays loads at 1350fps and the data tables show that I can do that with both AA hauls and Sts hauls with minimal change and also useing the exact same wad, primer and powder with a mec #29 bushing where as before I had to use a #32 with unique for 1200fps and a #29 with red dot. That is quite a bit less powder to drop and I can also use the WSF for my 20ga and get a 1200fps load with a #17 mec bushing instead of a #24 with the herco and unique. I just like that I can use the same stuff for all my loads not saying you can't with the Alliant powders I use but if they don't have a data table for it so I won't load it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Rochester wrote:
I just reloaded and shot 100 rounds of 1 1/8 oz, 1200 fps shells using Hodgdon Titegroup. For me, the drops were much more consistent than with Clays. With Clays, my powder drops are +/- .3 grains. With Titegroup, they were virtually right on the money every time, 17 grains with a MEC #19 bushing. To get 1200 fps with 1 1/8 oz, I used Gun Club hulls, 17 gr of Titegroup, Remington TGT12 wads, Win 209 primers and Remington #8 Magnum Shot. Titegroup is less expensive, $12.95 per pound vs. $12.95 per 14 oz for Clays, and I use 1.4 grains less of it to get 1200 fps than I would if using Clays. So I can load about 80 more shells for the same money using Titegroup. The recipe in the Hodgdon manual calls for Rem Fig 8 wads, but my crimps were too deep, so I called Hodgdon and asked if I could use TGT12 wads, and they said it was okay. Pressure in the 1200 fps loads with Clays is 11,300 PSI. With Titegroup, it's 9,900 PSI. Both are safe, but the Clays load is pushing the envelope. Also... using all Remington components, or all Winchester components, you can get up to 1255 fps with 1 1/8 oz Titegroup loads. You can't do that with Clays. 1200 fps is the max for 1 1/8. In 1 oz loads, you can get up to 1345 fps with Titegroup, 1290 fps with Clays. So... it is more versatile, more consistent and less expensive than Clays. BTW, I shoot a gas Semi-auto, and Titegroup burns just as clean as Clays, as near as I can tell. One more thing... I am using TITEGROUP not TITEWAD!! http://www.hodgdon.com/data/shotshel/ti ... -super.php

X2 for TiteGroup...good consistency and extremely clean. I've tried a bunch of different powders and now use it exclusively!

Caesar Guerini Ascent 12ga 32"
Remington 11-87 20ga 28"

NSCA #621387
NSCA Level 1 Instr
NRA Rifle Instr
NRA SG Instr

https://sites.google.com/site/shootinwithscott/