CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 3 Barrel Shotgun
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:08 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello, I am new here and what prompted my joining was seeing a very interesting shotgun at my grandfathers house. He said his unlce brought it back after WWII. I did not have a digital camera to take a picture, so I will describe it. It was a three barrel shotgun, two on top, one on the bottom. Some of the firing mechanisms were made of gold. It had beautiful etchings in it all around the stock and around the trigger. It had three triggers. This is the information i wrtoe down off of it.

WILH
System F.W HeyMSuhl

DRP No. 60215

Sicher

The report was it was from Germany. I will try to post a picture as soon as possible.

Thanks guys,

Lissa

Post subject: Re: 3 Barrel Shotgun
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:09 pm 
Utility Grade

Oh and there is a hunting scene engraved on it in Gold too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:44 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

Sounds like an imteresting gun. Try to get close up photos of the proof marks on the barrels and barrel flats.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:09 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

Frans W Heym was located in Suhl Germany from 1865 to 1945. He was, and is, a maker of very high quality guns. After World War 2, he located in Munnerstadt, West Germany.The 3 barrel shotgun is a little uncommon, although not unheard of. Are you sure the bottom barrel is not a rifle calibre.That would be more common. For some time. Heckler & Koch, imported Heym guns.. Bushrod

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I think it is probably a German made "Drilling". That would be 2 shotgun barrels on top (side by side) with a rifle barrel on the bottom centered between the 2 shotgun barrels. Look at the gun carefully and see if the bottom barrel is smaller in diameter and if it has "rifling" marks inside the barrel while the shotgun barrels will be smooth inside the barrels.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:40 pm 
Utility Grade

The bottom barrel is a rifle-- I should have made that clearer.

Any ideas as to the value?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:33 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

A very detailed description of your gun would be necessary to put a value on it. Factors such as condition,age,gauge & caliber and engraving make these old drillings very hard to value. The proof marks will tell us much but the chambers may have to be cast to determine what caliber the rifle tube and shotgun chamber legnths are. Heym built some very nice guns. However, the company spanned so many years it would be very difficult to value the gun without having it in hand. They would have to be very experienced hands,at that!

Many of these old drillings had short 12ga,16ga,14ga or 11ga chambers and obscure rifle cartriges. Also, many were only proofed/designed for black powder. This relegates them into the non shooter group of collector guns unless one wants to make their own ammunition. I ran into this problem with my English 246 Purdy SxS. Ammunition that was still available cost $100+ each or $1200 for a full box of ten! :shock: I was lucky to find some empties and sent them off to California to have a guy load them for me. Without that ammo my gun would have been worth much less than it is with the ammo.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:56 pm 
Utility Grade

Thank you all very much for your help.

If I may, there are two other guns about which I would like to ask:

1) A Merident Firearm Co. hammerless single barrel twelve-gauge shotgun.

2) A Nitro Hunter 12 gauge choke, nickel plated, twist-steel. This gun is at least 100 years old, belonging to my grandfather's grandfather. It has a ram's head mark.

I looked all over the net to see if I could find out anything else about the Heym, but I didn't see any which had three triggers for comparison.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:26 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

The Meriden Firearms Co was organized By Sears & Roebuck to Manufacture their own guns in 1905. They operated until 1918. The gun could be a single barrel trap gun. Does it have a solid raised rib? The Nitro Hunter was a trade name made by either Crescent Firearms or Stevens..... Unlike the first gun, these guns have very little value.. Bushrod

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:16 am 
Field Grade

[quote="Lissa"] This is the information i wrtoe down off of it.

"Sicher"

This was above the Safety Button!? It means safety in German
It's an abreviation of "Sicherheit".

P.S. If you want the most complete info I have been able to find on these Heym guns .....http://www.germanguns.com/index.html

Dietrich Apel has a reprint of a prewar Heym catalogue that may be of some interest to you. Other than that you won't find much since all the records from Heym were lost when the Russians got into Suhl.

I can't wait to see the pictures. Some of these can be worth a pile. Wish I owned it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:27 pm 
Utility Grade

I will post pictures soon, probably next week. Grandpa wants to sell the gun, so I'll be looking for places to post the info. I'm sure there's probably somewhat of a limited amount of buyers for this sort of gun.