CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: favorite duck load?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:01 pm 
Field Grade

3" 1 1/4oz. #3s winchester dryloks 1400 fps. Gonna try ultra shok 1450 fps and rem 1475 fps. same load different brands.

Post subject: Re: favorite duck load?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:38 pm 
Diamond Grade

O.k., I realize I went a little overboard, or rather, I will go a little overboard when I use them, but earlier this year the Kent TM nontoxic turkey load was $15.99 at Cabelas on-line, so I bought a couple boxes - even tho I don't hunt turkeys... :wink: :twisted:

They are supposed to be #5 pellets, but I opened one up and compared the pellets to two different brands of #5 lead and they're noticeably bigger, maybe a #4-1/2? Even so, I counted more than 250 of them in those 3", 1 5/8 oz, 1330 fps loads.

From the charts and tables I've seen, this load should achieve over 95% clean kills on mallards at 40 yards through a mod choke (assuming it's performance is pretty much the same as lead). I am really lookin' forward to October. :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:45 pm 
Limited Edition

Hevi-shot #6es 3" 20 gauge with an improved choke.

I can't wait until september 1st.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It depends on the shooting conditions. What type of shots and what ranges.

"I dare do all that may become a man; Who dares do more , is none"
Bill S.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:17 am 
Presentation Grade

Researcher,
Yes, TM does run slightly oversize. You'll find it really hammers the ducks. The 'turkey' load used to be one of their 'waterfowl' loads, but they decided to rebrand it. Same shell, different box.

My personal favorite load is Kent's TM 2.75" 1.25oz 5's @ 1400 fps. I've found this load patterns well and, more importantly, kills mallards effectively out to 50 yards or so.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

I use a bit of everything (Tungsten Iron, Tunsten Matrix, Bismuth, steel), but I would have to say that my 'standard' duck load is a handload of 1 oz steel #3s at 1500 fps in a standard (2 3/4") hull.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:12 pm 
Utility Grade

Good quotes on this page!
Is for a 12 gauge; 2.75", 1 1/8 oz steel, #2s, 1375 fps (Remington) load enough for duck? Or perhaps out to a ballpark figure of yards?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:41 pm 
Presentation Grade

It really comes down to the kind of ducks are you shooting and how far away you shoot your ducks. Obviously, shooting teal at 30 yards is a different load and choke proposition than shooting mallards at 40 yards.

If you get ducks inside of 40 yards, they just aren't that hard to kill. At normal decoying ranges (20-40 yards), steel #4s, #3s or #2s (provided they are choked properly) will take care of most any duck killin’ business you have. Obviously, it is better to use smaller pellets on small ducks (to maintain good pattern density) and larger pellets for larger ducks (to maintain ample pellet energy) but generally speaking any of these steel shot sizes would be a good starting point for ducks over decoys.

As a side note, it doesn't take a 12-gauge 3 ½" or even a 3" shell to kill ducks. A 2 3/4" 1 1/8-ounce load will kill any duck you're after if you are using the right pellet size for the duck size, if it is choked appropriately for the distance, AND provided you can put the pattern on the front end of the duck!

As far as load velocity, get loads in the 1,300 to 1,500 fps range and neither you nor the duck will ever know the difference. Many in the high-velocity crowd don't agree with me on this but the facts speak for themselves, you just don’t need super high-velocity loads to kill ducks!

For chokes suggestions, take your IC, LM and Mod., with your shell/load of choice, and head to the pattern board to see which one works best in your gun at the distance you shoot your birds. Out to about 30-35 yards the IC will probably work best, at 35-45 yards the LM may be the top performer and from about 40-50 yards the Mod. might be the one to go with. The ONLY way to find out is to pattern them!

Normally, I shoot steel #4s for small and/or close decoying ducks and later in the season when I'm shooting mostly mallards I shoot steel #2s. Steel #3s are a great all-around duck pellet, but many times I can't find them so I go with some combination of #4s and #2s, like having #4s in for the first two close shots and following them with a #2 for the last longer going-away shot.

I'll give you a few pattern numbers from my gun so you can see what you might get but you still need to pattern your gun/chokes/loads because they may differ.

Remington 870 SP 12-Gauge 3" w/ 28" barrel and factory flush Rem-chokes (patterns average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, and in-shell pellet count average of five).

30 YARDS IC
Sportsman Steel 2 3/4" 1 1/8 oz #4 steel (218 pellets) – pattern 181 (83%)
Sportsman Steel 2 3/4" 1 1/8 oz #2 steel (139 pellets) – pattern 120 (86%)

40 YARDS Mod
Sportsman Steel 2 3/4" 1 1/8 oz #4 steel (218 pellets) – pattern 150 (69%)
Sportsman Steel 2 3/4" 1 1/8 oz #2 steel (139 pellets) – pattern 110 (79%)

Nothing special here, a Remington 870 with factory chokes and Remington 2 3/4" Sportsman shells. But as you can see from the pattern numbers, those are dead ducks as long as I do my part and put the pattern on the front end of the duck!!!

Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:21 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks a million, Joe. It says that the 12 gauge chokes are "cylinder bore". People also say that the Mossberg is initially light ammo sensitive; so I'm trying to find #4 - #6 lead for target practice. Hopefully that's heavy enough.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:23 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

My all time favorite duck load was the Super-X 1 1/4oz Lubaloy lead in #6 or #4. Alas, those days are gone.

Today, in 12ga, I like 2 3/4" Hevishot #6 from my A5 Mag for most ducks over decoys. last season I tried #6 Kent Fast steel for teal and it worked well. I used a factory IC choke to get good patterns at 30 yards.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:47 pm 
Presentation Grade

rightbutleftcoast wrote:
Good quotes on this page!
Is for a 12 gauge; 2.75", 1 1/8 oz steel, #2s, 1375 fps (Remington) load enough for duck? Or perhaps out to a ballpark figure of yards?

welcome to shotgunworld and it is nice to see someone use the search function. Your above load is a good choice for 40yds and less duck hunting. I remember a day many years ago using these same shells. Remington called them express magnums at the time. I had a big flock of canada geese come into my decoys. these shells killed my limit out of that one flock. Today remington calls them sportsmen loads. Great shells for in range duck killing. Another good shell is the Kent fast steel 2 3/4" 12ga 1 1/16oz #2 load. Your gun makes a difference on what to shoot. The search function is your friend

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:30 am 
Presentation Grade

1 1/4 ounces of Magnum #5s at 1,330 fps in a Peter's Blue Magic shell.

But, alas...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:53 pm 
Tournament Grade

Back in the day, Lead #5s were incredible.

Today for 12 gauge, I like Kent #3s in the 2 3/4" or 3" depending on the situation. If lots of teal around in the early season, then Kents in # 4s. In my SP-10, Remington and Winchester high velocity in # 2s (I'd shoot # 3s or # 4s if I could get them).

Alberta Al in Saskatoon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:38 am 
Presentation Grade

alberta al wrote:
Today for 12 gauge, I like Kent #3s in the 2 3/4" or 3" depending on the situation.

Alberta Al in Saskatoon

I couldn't agree more. I use the Kent Impacts in #3 for all creatures great and small...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:58 pm 
Diamond Grade

:lol:
I have a feeling those weren't exactly the Kent #3s he was talking about, Rubberhead.

Back when TM was $1.30/shell I used #5s on ducks and #1s on geese. I suppose for mixed hunting #3s would make a lovely compromise. I once killed a hen green wing teal with the 2 oz load of #3s in my 3.5" chambed 870 Supermag. Talk about overkill! :oops: I then proceeded to poke holes in the sky with the remaining two shells in a vain attempt to bring down her colorful mate. Double :oops: :oops: - that was in my second season as a duck hunter, the fall of '05. Not that I think an airborne greenwing is an easy shot now-a-days! :shock:

-Dave

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:21 pm 
Presentation Grade

Researcher wrote:
:lol:
I have a feeling those weren't exactly the Kent #3s he was talking about, Rubberhead.

-Dave

Thanks Researcher. It was kind of a joke Dave.

Since overkill is way, way better than underkill I use the #2 steel version of what he's talking about for duck hunting when shooting a steel capable gun. Hunting the saltwater, we can expect anything from teal/bufflehead/ruddies to blacks/cans to the occassional oddity like snow geese and brant:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:21 pm 
Diamond Grade

Interesting goose pic! I don't think I've ever seen a brant around here. The Minnesota hunting guidebook mentions them, but we don't harvest very many in the middle of the continent.

-Dave

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:39 pm 
Tournament Grade

Yep, Fasteel. #3 shot hits harder than #4, and patterns better than #2 shot. I'll only shoot #2s if I run out of #3s these days. TM is nice, but expensive for the volume of duck hunting that I do. I do shot TM and hevi-shot a few times a season through my Model 12s. I wish someone would make a 10 gauge load with #3 or #4 shot.

Researcher - teal, woodies, and bluebills were the ducks of my first season (1970).

Alberta Al

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:13 am 
Crown Grade

Forty years ago, my favorite duck load was Federal 2 3/4" Magnums with 1 1/2oz of #5 (lead) shot. :wink:

Today, my go-to load seems to be Remington 3" 1 1/4oz #3 steel.
I do have a couple of flats of Remington Nitro Mag 2 3/4" 1 1/4oz steel #4 that I like for the early season teal.
I've tried the Hevi-Shot, and the Rem HD loads....wasn't all that impressed, especially for the $$.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

Mudpack,

Back in the day, I shot a pile of Federal Premium magnum copper plated loads. Those were great loads. All were 2 3/4 inch shells. Didn't need long shells back then.

I did get a brief flash of the old duck load days, when I first moved up to Canada. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven when I found out you were still able to use #3 and #5 lead loads (any one remember Canadian Superior?). That was short lived, as the Canucks were just slower in adopting steel for waterfowl.

Alberta Al