CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reloading Fiocchi Hulls
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:59 pm 
Utility Grade

I have tried reloading 12 gauge and 28 gauge Fiocchi hulls and have the same problem with both. The crimp goes too deep and creates a hole in the center. I have tried to adjust the MEC 9000, but it doesn't help. I have used the figure 8 wads on the 12's and loaded them to the Hogdon recipe for Fiocchi's and still doesn't work.

Does anyone reload 12 or 28 gauge Fiocchi hulls? If so, what have you found that works best?

Post subject: Re: Reloading Fiocchi Hulls
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:22 pm 
DELETED

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:53 am 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Use either a Federal wad or a Windjammer wad and a bulky powder and your problem will be tollerable. They load fine, assuming you mean the purple hulls. I've never loaded 20 ga Fiocchis, I couldn't tell you anything about them for sure, but I bet a longer wad and bulky powder is the answer there too.

BP

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:12 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

For my Fiocchi 28 ga hulls (and Nobel Sports hull since it is the same), I use a load from Hodgdon:
Fiocchi Target Hull
19.5 gr HS-7 (or WW 571 since it is the same powder)
Remington PT-28 Wad
Winchester 209 primer
7/8 oz of shot (which I reduce to 350 grains)

I had to reduce the shot charge to get a good crimp, so my load ends up being between 3/4 oz (328 gr) and the 7/8 oz (383 gr) called for in the recipe.

Note that this load exceeds the maximum for NSSA registered Skeet (338 gr). It is fine for my local club matches, however, and gives me a good load for the Nobel Sport and Fiocchi hulls.

The only problem I have with these hulls is the very low brass (steel), which will occassionally catch a sharp edge at the extractor cut, and fail to seat fully because of the tear the edge causes. I don't expect to reload these hulls too many times anyway.

NAHC Life Member
VA State Shooting Association Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor in Rifle, Pi$tol, and Home Firearm Safety
NSSA Level I Instructor
NSSA Official Referee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:00 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I've reloaded a lot of the Purple Fiocchi 12 ga, they hold up pretty well. The biggest problem I have is finding the Fiocchi 616 primer around here. My best results has come with Green Dot and the Clay Busters 3118 Red or as they call it their Red 8 wad. I tried the Federal clone but the fit with Red 8 was better. I have had no problems with crimps on my MEC Grabber once things were set. I have been sticking with the Remington hulls of late as ther are so many Gun Club etc. all about and I do not have to have a supply of the Fiocchi 616 primers on hand.