CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington 11 48 Won't Cycle (sort of)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:07 pm 
Field Grade

Hey..my vintage 11 48 16 gauge has an issue with target loads. It cycles, chambers and ejects after firing just fine. Only problem though is it seems the bolt doesn't come back far enough to recock the trigger. I just had a competent gunsmith go through the weapon to be sure all was right inside. He said it may be malfunctioning because the gun might not like light loads. I heard some of the old-timey shotguns have a reversible recoil spring. One side up for light/target loads, the other side up for heavier loads. Anyone know anything about this???

Post subject: Re: Remington 11 48 Won't Cycle (sort of)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:29 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

At some point, Remington went away from a "reversible friction ring". Try putting a little oil (3-n-1, what ever) on your mag tube. In hot (active as well as temp) dove fields in south Alabama in the late '60s, many is the time we had to go to a vehicle and get oil off the dip stick to help a "dip-stick" who didn't prepare his A-5 .

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:50 am 
Crown Grade

quote:I heard some of the old-timey shotguns have a reversible recoil spring. One side up for light/target loads, the other side up for heavier loads. Anyone know anything about this???

:arrow: I'm not really sure but I think the early model 1148 did have that feature but I know my late model 12 gauge (60's) didn't. As advised oil the mag tube also make sure your action bars are oiled up good, that was the trick to getting my old 1148 to run on lighter loads even though I seldom used anything lighter then a 1 3/8 oz. duck load. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:13 am 

I have 3 48s. 2 in 12 Ga. and 1 in 16Ga.
None have the adjustable or reversable spring. Clean & oil the mag tube as has been suggested here. Also, try running some heavy loads, high brass through it to see if that will free up the action some. If none of that solves the problem, you may have to designate that gun as a heavy load only gun.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:38 pm 
Diamond Grade

I had a 11-48 in 28 ga. that I recently sold.

It would not cycle with 3/4 oz loads and I thought that the friction ring was reversible, but when I looked it over I saw that it was not.

A little light lube on the magazine tube was what it took to make it work right.