CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Franchi 48-AL jamming shells!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:38 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a franchi 48-AL (recoil opperated) and every now and then it will jam a shell. Usually it will recoil and nip the empty shell casing on the way as it is ejecting out the side and sometimes the other unfired shell will get stuck down underneath where the shells are inserted above the metal piece. I have cleaned it but still happens. Any suggestions on cleaning it or other problems i mean look for would be a huge help since I am trying to get this problem fixed before the bird season opens in 2 weeks or so. Please Help!!!!!!!

Post subject: Re: Franchi 48-AL jamming shells!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:37 am 
Field Grade

If you are using target shells, try a hunting load. Also, I would oil the gun a lot and try again.

arkrivco

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:54 am 

On any long recoil operated gun make sure the magazine tube is lightly lubed. Make sure the friction ring is set correctly for the load being used. Also make sure the action/recoil spring in the stock is clean.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:12 pm 
Utility Grade

I have tried all of that but still happens. Just in case i am doing it wrong how are the 2 rings supposed to be placed?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:40 pm 

Is this an older 3" gun or a newer 2 3/4" only model? What are the specs on the shells you are having problems with and does it do it on different brands of shells with the same specs?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:57 pm 
Utility Grade

2 3/4" hunter al 48. Having trouble with almost all light loads, all brands. Heavy loads are fine. how about the friction ring and the compression rings. any tweaks or setup with these?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:33 pm 

My AL48 12 gauge 2 3/4" only only has one brass ring and one washer. For light loads have the washer ontop of the spring with the bevel side down (towards spring) then place the brass ring ontop. Make sure the magazine tube is lightly lubed. If you still have problems add a little more lube on the magazine tube.
Load versatility is the weak area for the long recoil design. Some guns will cycle the lighter stuff while others will not even if it's the same model.
One last thing, Is this gun broken in?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:42 am 
Utility Grade

yes the gun is many years old

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:17 pm 
Field Grade

My 12ga 48AL is 100% reliable with 1 1/8oz loads. Regardless of the friction ring position or amount of lube on the magazine tube, the 1oz dove&quail loads have not worked 100% of the time. If your jamming problem only occurs with light loads that may have answered your question. If it doesn't, "Troubleshooting Your Rifle and Shotgun" by JB Wood has a couple of pages on the 48AL that identify some parts that wear with age that can lead to jamming.

As a side note, my 20ga 48AL cycles the 7/8oz loads without a hitch even with the friction ring in the heavy load position.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:45 am 
Field Grade

cronic-Both my Franchi AL 48 12 gauge shoot not only 1oz. lead loads; but 1oz. steel loads as well. In fact, these guns eject the shell on these 1oz steel loads and throws them 15' away! The Benelli which I sold last year would literally dribble the 1 oz. steel loads or not eject them. Because I shoot these light loads(at Snipe) I liberally coat the magazine tube with Rem oil.

arkrivco

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:52 pm 
Field Grade

When the shells jam, are you sure you have the stock firmly against your shoulder? I have a 48 AL 20 gauge and the only time it ever fails to fully eject is when I get excited (at a dove, quail, etc.) and don't get the stock all the way against my shoulder. When this happens, the empty shell usually gets stuck partially out of the chamber and the next shell floats underneath as you described above.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:58 pm 
Utility Grade

no the stock is right against my shounder tight

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:58 pm 
Utility Grade

no the stock is right against my shounder tight. On my gun mag tube i have a silver ring and a bronze one with a black ring on the bronze one. is this right 3 pieces? Any sug on how to place these?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:07 pm 

That sounds right. See my last post for the setup.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:58 am 
Field Grade

Cronic,

I had the same problelm with my AL. At first it would eject high brass fine but no low brass. Then it would occasionally catch a high brass. Then it wouldn't eject anything.

I tried different ring positions and lubing the magazine. I lightly cleaned the action and oiled it. None of it worked. The final fix was pulling the entire action apart. Follow the Franchi instructions in the owner's manual. Take off the forestock, barrel, friction rings and spring. Pull the bolt and handle (1 pc if I remember right). Take out internal guts of the action by pulling the two action pins. I didn't take the action from the wood, but I pulled the trigger assembly with the two action pins. Soak it in solvent. I used rubbing alcohol because I had it. Other solvent would work too I'm sure. Give the parts a good wash down after a few hours soak. After they are wiped clean, let them dry and let the solvent evaporate. Put it all back together and lightly oil the moving parts with a light teflon lube.

After I put mine back together the action was much smoother and it hasn't failed to cycle even the lightest loads yet.

The problem on mine was a bit of dirt/crud in the internal spring mechanism for the trigger. It would cycle enough to reset the trigger, but not the last 1/4" or so to eject the shell. If you put the butt of the gun on the ground and push the barrel in with your hand you'll feel it. There will be the initial tension from the big action spring on the mag tube, then there will be a sudden increase toward the rear of the action from the second trigger spring.

Is your AL tough to open (initially) by pulling on the bolt handle? That was a giveaway for me too.

Thanks,
Rick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:05 pm 
Utility Grade

Is this a new gun?

Recommend that you try to lube AL48 with CLP Break Free...

Liberal use will only help!

Please advise of your progress!

Good luck...

"TexasBirdMan" :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:12 pm 
Utility Grade

Is this a NEW AL48?

Lube liberally with CLP Break Free...&... lube & then manually work & release bolt numerous times.

This will help!

Please advise us of your progress with your problem.

If you still have a problem call Benelli/Franchi & ask to talk to Paula Murdock. Customer service number is on their web site!

Good Luck!

TexasBirdMan :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:38 am 
Field Grade

birdman,

Mine was new when it was doing it. My dad bought it for my c.a. 1983. It sat in a box for ~10 years before I started using it. I used it a season with high brass until it was only sometimes ejecting them (it never did low brass), which was less than a box of shells. We had taken it to a gunsmith and he had no clue on it. So it was taken apart and put back in the box where it sat until a year ago. This time last year I pulled it out and started shooting it again. At first I tried breakfree in the action and mag tube. Then I cleaned the mag tube again with solvent, cleaned the mag spring, and any easy to reach parts in the action. Tried shooting again- no luck. I finally got it to work as above only once I cleaned it deep in the trigger assembly.

Now if it only had choke tubes it might be the perfect gun.

Thanks,
Rick

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:42 pm 
Presentation Grade

1.Download the manual.
2.Strip gun completely down. Every last part should be on your table. Clean with gun solvent.
3.Gently oil all parts and wipe off excess. Leave a heavier film along bolt rails and breech end of barrel on the outer sliding edges. Reassemble gun.
4.Brass friction ring and magazine tube should be dry per Franchi. This means NO oil.
5.Set governor ring on heavy load setting. If load doesn't cycle then revert to light setting.
6.If gun was stored for a year or more, a complete teardown is required. All the solvents would have evaporated and turned the old oil sludgy.
7.One guy above mentioned cleaning with alcohol. If this was common isopropol, it's 30 percent WATER. Water and steel/aluminum is a no-no. Gun solvent is the proper tool.
8.If it's grandpa's gun or dad's gun then follow tip number 6.
9.If the above doesn't work, order all new springs and friction ring. This gives the gun a tune up. Every spring in these guns is compressed at all times. Springs sag over time. Is the gun over 20 years old? New springs might be required. Enough said here.
10.Has your gun sat in a box for 10 years? Try step 2.

slomo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Though I have posted this many times, I will do so again.

I have a Model 48 that I bought over 50 years ago. Only one part has been replaced; an extractor. It was worn to a nub from a half-century of use. I don't oil the magazine but I do change the beveled ring's position when I change from light to heavy loads. This gun has been one of my favorites, raising two sons who used it often, also. I have never replaced a spring. I pull the trigger assembly once a year and clean it, lightly lube it with CLP. Then I wipe down the barrel with CLP.

I have a couple more newer 48s but don't need to use them yet. Methinks I will outlive this gun. I use a lot of 7/8 oz Remington loads in it. Never had a jam yet. Maybe I am lucky.

Anger is a condition in which the tongue works faster than the mind.

Why do people who know the least know it the loudest?