CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My PMC Ammo Review! (00Buck & Slugs)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:17 pm 
Field Grade

This is tactical ammo (for me) so I think this is a good place in the forum for my post.
Today I bought and shot some PMC 2-3/4" oz. rifled slugs and 00 Buck.
Now this isn't a very scientific review, but it may help you decide whether or not to buy this ammo if its on a shelf right in front of you for a good deal.

The ammo was cheap ($1.95/box of 5) so I didn't have very high expectations for it. But in the end it surprised me.
On the box it also says "Made in ESP" Anyone know what ESP stands for? I thought PMC ammo was made in S.Korea.

The first one was the rifled slug. On the box it states that the velocity is 1600fps. Unfortunately I dont have the tools to verify that rating.

It also says that they are hollow points, but the hole in the center of the slug doesn't go deep enough IMHO to do any real mushrooming.

I was shooting this ammo from a 12 gauge Winchester 1300 "Defender" 8 shot, 18" non rifled barrel that is brand new and is full choke. Iron sites.

From 25yards I basically could hit almost dead center of my target.

Behind my targets there was a tree that fell about a month ago. The tree was approximately 5" thick and these rounds were going through it with ease.

I didn't go further back because it was starting to downpour and lighting was striking near by, I blasted my rounds and got out of dodge. :shock:

2nd are the PMC 2-3/4" 00Buck shot (9 pellets). The velocity on the box says "1325fps".
at 20-25 yards I was getting good groups and the pellets were spread out evenly. The entire size of the shot group was about 9"-12" wide

On the top of the 00 Buck shell, it has a clear window type of thing so that you can see what the actual buck shot look like. They seemed to be very round and smooth. Which Im sure has a positive effect on aerodynamics and pattern of shot.

All in all, I am very very happy with this ammo. I like it just as much as the Winchester Super X slugs and buckshot. Its also about half the price! It also had a little less recoil than the "Win. Super X" Buck and slugs.

I recommend this ammo to anyone that wants to shoot accurately and not spend a lot of money.

I would also like to say that Im sorry for my Shotgun terminology. I am new to scatter guns so Im not really well versed in the "lingo".

Thanks for reading and I hope it helped you in some way!

Last edited by 1300_Defender on Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: My PMC Ammo Review! (00Buck & Slugs)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:28 pm 
Limited Edition

If I am not mistaken ESP means Spain (Espana).

-Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:47 am 
Field Grade

mewall wrote:
If I am not mistaken ESP means Spain (Espana).

-Cheers

Yeah, thats what I was thinking. But wasnt sure.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:20 am 
Crown Grade

9 to 12 inch groups for 00 buck at that distance is not bad at all...

slugs are awesome tools, sometimes too awesome, but i had an acquaintance that "deepened" the hollowpoint on his slugs for more expansion...

mmmmmmm...

in any case, thanks for the review...

"It all comes down to going down the dark holes after monsters. That's what it's all about, when everyone else is huddled around the campfire somebody has to go out in the dark and fight." –Reverend Db

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:48 pm 
Site Sponsor

PMC was originall a company based in the Philipines.

CaCrusin 8)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:15 pm 
Field Grade

870pilot wrote:
i had an acquaintance that "deepened" the hollowpoint on his slugs for more expansion...

I guess that's an option. One would have to know how deep the slug is and all. As Im sure you know the back of some slugs slope in like a bowl.

So drilling too deep would cause problems.

Also, the exit wounds of that tree were plenty big for my taste. If it were a soft "zombie" I cant imagine what type of devastation it would have.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:37 pm 
Crown Grade

:shock:

the only way i would drill a slug is if the slug was out of the shell and i reloaded my own... sorry... two for two in the negative...

and yes, four out of five crime scene investigators report that the current crop of zombies are of the "soft" variety...

indeed, plenty for me

"It all comes down to going down the dark holes after monsters. That's what it's all about, when everyone else is huddled around the campfire somebody has to go out in the dark and fight." –Reverend Db

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:56 pm 
Field Grade

I recently settled on PMC Low-Recoil 00 Buck as my tactical HD round of choice. It kicks about the same as Remington Managed Recoil, it groups better, and Natchez sells it for $1.89 a box (vs $2.50 for Rem).

ESP is Espania - Spain.
Isnt PMP made in Phillipines or S. Korea?
I sometimes get the two (PMC and PMP) mixed up.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

Quote:
i had an acquaintance that "deepened" the hollowpoint on his slugs for more expansion...

I have to wonder........ why would you want a 12 gauge slug to expand? Isn't the hole it leaves in human flesh big enough? :(^

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

Quote:

I have to wonder........ why would you want a 12 gauge slug to expand? Isn't the hole it leaves in human flesh big enough? :(^