CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 20 gauge duck & goose load
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:50 pm 
Field Grade

I have never hunted waterfowl before. My only bird hunting experience is dove & quail. My son is 10 years old and has an oppertunity to go on a duck and goose hunt through a local hunt club that is offering a youth hunt. He has a Beretta 3901 RL in 20 gauge. The load I am considering for him to use is the Remington 20 ga. 2 3/4" 1 oz load of #6 Heavy Shot. Should I use #6 shot or #4 shot. The hunting will be over decoys and no pass shooting will be done. I had considered using cheap steel loads but I want him to have the best chance at geetin a duck or goose. He has shot sporting clays and skeet before and I will have him practice more before he goes out hunting. Are there any other loads that I should consider? I like the 2-3/4" 1oz load because it does not have much more recoil than the 7/8 target loads he is currently using.

Post subject: Re: 20 gauge duck & goose load
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:26 pm 
Diamond Grade

If I had to choose between 4's and 6's for a combination duck/goose hunt I would use the 6's and limit the goose shots to close in shots over decoys. The 4's in hevi-shot 20 gauge are better than any goose load of any gauge in steel but wouldn't have enough pellet density for ducks. I would bet that you would wound some ducks with a few large pellets. Other than reloading 5's, the ideal would be to bring both 4's and 6's and change out when some geese are coming in.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:26 pm 
Limited Edition

#6es will smoke birds dead out to 50 yards +. No need for #4s if you are ONLY shooting ducks and no geese are about. If the geese are about #4s will do everything you need out to 50 yards. I'd shoot the #6es for a combo hunt a limit the shots to 30 yards on geese. I am going to shoot hevi #4s 2 3/4" in my 12 gauge for everything this year. 8)

I can't wait until september 1st.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:32 pm 
Field Grade

I will limit his shots to 30~35 yards. It looks like the shot size will be #6. I understand the logic of having both 6's for the ducks & 4's for the geese, but on his first hunt I don't want him swapping out shells in a duck blind. His gun handling skills are very good, but I don't want to add that to the list of tasks he has to mannage. The choke tubes he has for his Beretta are skeet, improved cylinder, modified and full. I understand that hevi shot patterns tighter than lead and that you should use more open chokes. For shots out to 30~35 yards over decoys I was planning to use improved cylinder, should I consider skeet or modified. He will not be doing any pass shooting. I think that IC is the best choice but I don't have any experience with hevi shot and duck/goose hunting. I don't want him swapping out choke tubes in the blind either.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:32 pm 
Field Grade

I will limit his shots to 30~35 yards. It looks like the shot size will be #6. I understand the logic of having both 6's for the ducks & 4's for the geese, but on his first hunt I don't want him swapping out shells in a duck blind. His gun handling skills are very good, but I don't want to add that to the list of tasks he has to mannage. The choke tubes he has for his Beretta are skeet, improved cylinder, modified and full. I understand that hevi shot patterns tighter than lead and that you should use more open chokes. For shots out to 30~35 yards over decoys I was planning to use improved cylinder, should I consider skeet or modified. He will not be doing any pass shooting. I think that IC is the best choice but I don't have any experience with hevi shot and duck/goose hunting. I don't want him swapping out choke tubes in the blind either.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:54 pm 
Limited Edition

IC should be fine if you are NOT patterning his gun. I thought that the 2 3/4" #6es in my 20 gauge with the IC was going to be the best duck killer in the woods, but when I pattened it, it shot 19%. :oops: The 3 inchers patterned better with the IC. It was 68%.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:30 am 
Diamond Grade

Some of us have been having a problem with the "Skeet" chokes (.005) when using Hevi-shot. So unless you plan to pattern it and make sure that it doesn't blow the pattern apart half the time, use either a Cyl or IC choke. My Beretta 20ga is real bad with the Skeet tube.

tom

CH SeventhSun Dog Show Barbie (Barbie)
Elite's Sepia Thunder (Blunder)
Raindancers Chasin A dream SH (Meg)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:06 pm 
Limited Edition

blunder wrote:
Some of us have been having a problem with the "Skeet" chokes (.005) when using Hevi-shot. So unless you plan to pattern it and make sure that it doesn't blow the pattern apart half the time, use either a Cyl or IC choke. My Beretta 20ga is real bad with the Skeet tube.

tom

If I had a skeek choke, it must be really bad for saying how bad IC was. :?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:18 am 
Diamond Grade

goosehunter2118 wrote:
blunder wrote:

tom

If I had a skeek choke, it must be really bad for saying how bad IC was. :?

Goosehunter
Bear in mind that what we think happens is only a theory, and has not been proven.
As a plastic shot cup passes through a choke it will be "slowed" slightly by the drag caused by the restriction, but this same drag is not applied to the shot. With a choke of about .005 restriction the seperation of the cup from the shot colum appears to be slight enough that the cup catches back up and "slaps" the shot colum as it leaves the breach. It also appears that with more restriction the seperation is enough that the cup does not catch up. The cly choke (.000) of course applies no additional drag on the cup. This seems to only be happening with the Remington Hevi-Shot. A bunch of us at the "fuge" have been doing a lot of testing trying to understand this problem. With my BPS 12ga I am experencing this blown pattern about 2 out of 10 rounds. With my Beretta SP S 20ga it's about 3 out of 5 rounds. BugDoc (who posts on here) I think shoots a Remington 11-87 12ga, and reported seeing the problem about 1 out of 3 rounds.

tom

CH SeventhSun Dog Show Barbie (Barbie)
Elite's Sepia Thunder (Blunder)
Raindancers Chasin A dream SH (Meg)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:51 pm 
Limited Edition

bugdoc was the one that brought it up on the fuge, I think. It sounds really funky so to speak in theory, but it must be true. I remember bugdoc talking to remington and they had no idea what they were talking about. :? I am not rich enough to do test on "bad" loads and chokes. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:45 am 
Diamond Grade

I couldn't be happier with my patterns. I shot several and all were good. Skeet was the best.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:19 pm 
Field Grade

I guess that I'll have him stick with improved cylinder choke with hevishot shells.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:05 am 
Limited Edition

Good luck with the hunt. I'm glad to see there are still parents introducing young ones to hunting. Our numbers are dwindling. I take new people dove hunting whenever I can. I love the look in someone's eyes when 6 dove buzz the field from different directions!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

I've never shot hevi thru my 20 ga. citori but I've found that modified choke works best for me with the 12 ga. 870(no cripples :D ). I have shot Bismuth, TM and tungsten iron out of the 20 though and had the best results with the TM(tungsten matrix) and modified choke for mid range and IC for closer shots.

Like everyone else has been saying, you should buy as many different kinds of shells as you can and make a trip to the patterning board.

Hope this helps and good luck.