CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: sarasqueta shotguns?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:18 pm 
Presentation Grade

Ive been looking for a nice reasonably priced sxs I have no experience w/ them and Ive seen these sarasqueta shotguns and they look nice but how are they mechanically Ive heard some nice stuff is coming out of spain and thats where these r from so anyone have any info opinions or otherwise theyd like to contribute? thanx

Aaron

Post subject: Re: sarasqueta shotguns?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

I like to know the same thing ive got my eye on one.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:41 pm 
Crown Grade

There were 3 different Sarasqueta companies that imported guns to the USA from Spain during the 1960's and 70s. They were: Felix, J.J. and Victor. Of the three, the Victor Sarasqueta guns were generally the highest quality. Be aware that the Spanish guns of the time were built to a price - the cheap ones were not nearly as nice or as well made as the higher grade guns from the same manufacturer.

I believe Victor Sarasqueta has long ceased making guns - and I don't know if any new Sarasqueta guns have been made in some time.

My father owns a 12 gauge Victor Sarasqueta SxS that he custom ordered to trap gun specifications from the factory in the mid 1970s. It's a wonderful gun, but some internal parts (sears, etc) were not properly hardened and wore prematurely. Today, there are no spare parts available. If something breaks or wears out - you will have to have components made by hand. Today's cost for such hand labor can easily exceed the original price of the gun 30 years ago.

Depending upon which Sarasqueta company made the gun, and what grade gun it is - I've seen prices range from $200 - $1500.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:52 pm 
Presentation Grade

Stick with the ones made by Victor. Soft parts can be hardened, firing pins can be bushed. I have a 20 made by Victor Sarasqueta for Stoger back in the early 50s, excellent upland bird gun. Don't know how many rounds through it. I shoot clays with for bird season warm up, no problems with the gun. Never had any problems with soft parts and my firing pins are bushed. Do know that some lower end Spanish guns had soft sears.