CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Where to buy Bismuth shot?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:57 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hi,

I'd like to buy a bottle of #5 bismuth for hunting this fall. But no one handles it in my area.

The only place I've been able to find it on-line is at Midway. Is there anywhere else that might have it available at a little less cost?

Thanks
Dale

Post subject: Re: Where to buy Bismuth shot?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:56 am 
Crown Grade

Ballistic Products sells it.

$84 for 7lbs. I don't know if this is less than Midway. It's expensive stuff.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/bpi/1products/components/shot/bismuth/bismuthshot.htm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:47 am 
Crown Grade

Cabela's also carries it, at least they did. If I remember correctly it is a jaunt to Cabela's for you but they have a special for their Cabela's Club Visa card holder's on October 6-9 that gives triple points on the Cabela's cash program. If you don't have a card, you can get on there and get a coupon for $10 off that day's purchase. There is also a deal going on until Friday where you get a $25 coupon for every $100 of purchases up to a coupon value of $150. I got to get down there by Friday, I have some items to get and could use the coupon towards other purchases the next week when I know I'll be there again.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:59 pm 
Diamond Grade

Also Precision Reloading.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hi,

It's about 3 1/2hrs for me to Owatonna from here in the hinterlands. Besides, SWMBO REALLY gets nervious about me going there for some reason 8) . I just don't understand why. :wink:

I guess I'll order some from Balistic Products. It's a couple of dollars less. And since I will use it in my Muzzleloader exclusively, it should last me several seasons of Pheasant hunting.

Thanks a lot Guys!,
Dale

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:24 pm 
Crown Grade

Yeah, it ain't much closer for me but I have to go to the Cities for work on occasion and fortunately tonight is one of them. It is only another 45-60 minutes down to there so I'll run down in the morning and be back in the early afternoon. A 7# jar lasts me about two season as I use it mainly for 16 and 20 ga loads. My significant other doesn't mind me stopping in, I have a special "toy" account that I canuse as I please as does she. I forced this idea on her when we got married so we could each have some mad money for spontaneous purchases.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:49 am 
Diamond Grade

Hunting is an expensive hobby. The difference between hunting with bismuth or steel that doesn't work very well, is maybe 3 or 4 dollars per hunt. It is better to spend the extra 3 dollars and have shells that work like lead used to.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:07 am 
Limited Edition

Have you guys ever patterned Bismuth? I did 3 years ago, and have to say that I CHOOSE to stick with steel for ducks over decoys.

Every shell I patterned had nearly a 50% shatter rate. I don't know if I had some older shells or what, but the shot seems to break apart. Its like shooting shrapnel rather than pellets.

When I hunt big geese, I shoot Hevi-shot, but for ducks over the decoys, I've had pretty good luck with steel. Cost is a concern for me because I will probably shoot close to a case of steel between myself and my dad. (I hope anyway)

Good luck.

TBS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:19 am 
Diamond Grade

I have patterned both hevi shot and bismuth through my polychoke with excellent results. Both throw good tight patterns through my gun with good even distribution. Bismuth on full and hevi-shot on skeet. I have used both, along with TM, on ducks and geese. They are very effective and blow steel away. I have even hunted the same areas under the same conditions in back to back weekends using steel one weekend and one of the better alternatives the next. NO COMPARISON. Steel is a pathetic substitute for lead. The only thing I will use steel on for hunting is very small birds like quail, snipe or doves in a non-tox area and as a swatter load for ducks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:38 pm 
Limited Edition

Tanner,
I've heard of people having trouble with bismuth shattering in the past but have not seen or heard of any recently.

I have had no problems with bismuth shattering and would say that I've been loading it for 3 maybe 4 seasons.

Of all the three non-tox i've used, i like biz the best, and have had the least amount of cripples with it.

If your're truly shooting decoying birds try a 3/4oz of biz #6 in the 12ga running about 1425, it's lights out (take a 7/8oz lead load and use 3/4 biz, same volume) PB powder works the best for me, with a AA 12L (Rem TGT12 also) wad, in an sts Hull (Gold of course).

Zeek,
thats the best analogy I've read in a long time. Your right whats 5-10 more bucks.

I wished we could get some TM etc to load up.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:26 pm 
Crown Grade

I have been looking for TM to load also, is it not available for reloaders yet? From the specs it looks like it should load just like lead, density/hardness wise.

The places already mentioned for Bismuth purchases are the only ones I know of as well.

Jeremiah

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:30 pm 
Crown Grade

I too haven't had a problem with bismuth pellets shattering in a number of years, since well before Winchester loaded it. I'd guess Tanner got some old stock as the newer stuff is pretty malleable. Federal did announce to offer their tungsten polymer shot for reloading but quickly dropped the whole line as there were some trademark questions and it wasn't a hot enough program to fight over. I got one bag of #6s and verbally, some reloading data. It called for BP's Multi-Metal wads and plenty of spacers rather than lead components. These wads are rather thick as they are also used for steel shot and I'd guess the project was scrapped before much load testing was done. I have heard some brand of tungsten/polymer was available over seas but don't know if it is true nor if there is load data available. I find steel to be more than adequate in the 10 and 12 gauges to any reasonable range for me. A BBB pellet will exit a snow goose at 60 measured yards and with a matched load should put at least 3-5 pellets in the body which is good enough for me.