CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Old Shotgun shell Valuable??
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:07 am 
Field Grade

I was recently given a .30 Cal ammo can full of old Remington Kleenbore 16 and 20 guage shotgun shells. No boxes. mostly 4 and 5 along with a few slugs both 16 and 20. Is there any "collectible" value to these things? I have around 75 16's about 50 20's.

Post subject: Re: Old Shotgun shell Valuable??
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:29 am 
Crown Grade

Those aren't really collectable, too common. You might find someone willing to give you $10 for the whole can full of them but that would include a couple of bucks for the can.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:34 am 
Field Grade

That is about what I figured but it never hurts to ask. I guess I'll have to buy a 16 so I can shoot them up! :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:41 pm 
Crown Grade

Now, THAT'S a plan!!! ;)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:34 pm 
Crown Grade

Hello carpfisher! Well the term "Kleenbore" has been around since the late 1940's/early 1950's. Now if these are paper hulled shells yes they do have some value, and usually bring a buck a piece, ($1.00) at the auction sites under collectible ammo. Now again if these are paper, #5 shot is a little on the rare side, they might bring a little more. Now if you can find some empty "Red & Green Remington" boxes to put them in at one of the auction sites you could double your price. Those full boxes usually go from $15-$30 depending on the condition of the box and shells. (Empty boxes don't bring much. $5-$10.

Now if these are plastic hulled shells from the 60's or 70's about .25 cents a piece, might as well shoot them. Go over to www.gunbroker.com or www.auctionarms.com and look under collectible ammo- Remington. this might help you.

Yes I have a full set of those old paper shells, 12,16,20,28, and .410, cost me about $85 with shipping and almost 5 years of looking to get the right condition I wanted.

Regards Dave

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:51 am 
Field Grade

Winchester,
They are paper hulled shells. Thanks for the information and advice. Maybe I'll invest in a few boxes instead of a new gun. Da##, I thought I had a good reason to get a new gun! I need (want!?) new trap gun so if I can get a few bucks for the stack I can add to the new gun fund.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:03 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

Buy the gun! Shoot the shells and save! You will be a happy guy. :D :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:23 pm 
Crown Grade

Hello carpfisher: I should have mentioned this on my first post since these are old paper shells!!!!!!

You will want to look ar each shell carefully before shooting them if you do. Look for:
1) any corrosion on the brass, it may have a green tint to it, or be heavy enough to actually have a "bump" when running your finger nail accross it.
2) look at the paper where it meets the brass, the paper should not extend beyond the brass or look "swollen".

Brass with corrosion or swollen paper hulls may NOT BE SAFE to shoot. Swollen shells have a real big tendancy to get STUCK in the chamber. Us old duck hunters loved it when plastic hulls came out, no more "wet" shell problems!!

Regards Dave

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:01 pm 
Field Grade

Winchester,
These shells are museaum perfect.
I ahve a fair amount of experience with paper shells. One of the ranges I used to shoot at always seem to ahve a good supply of the Federal Papers and I reloaded them for quite a while. I still have a paper grocery bag full of them.
I was thinking about some of them up with all this paper shell talk. The are kind of neat. I even have some old Polish shells. I don't remember where I got them but they are pretty cool with the Polish eagle on them. Being of Polsih heritage myself, I like having them around. I would really like to find a full loaded box of them somewhere.