CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yildiz Shotguns
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:32 pm 
Field Grade

I am wondering if anyone has experience with, or opinions of, Turkish made "Yildiz" O/U shotguns?

Post subject: Re: Yildiz Shotguns
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

there are quite a few posts on these guns...just do a search on Yildiz and you'll find alot of reading....I was finally able to purchase a Yildiz 12 gauge today(actually I got a freind to get it as there are none her locally)...I'm looking forward to shooting it...I've heard plenty of good reports on these guns from those that own them and the price can't be beat!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:02 pm 
Field Grade

Did you buy an entry level model of Yildiz, or a upper model. I have not held one yet, but I hear they are "cheap" looking and feeleing, any truth to that?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

I went and looked at them with a friend of mine that shoots a browning and winchester o/u....he was impressed with the feel of the gun, as I was...it feels nice and looks real nice IMO...nice wood, locks tight, and shoulders well...it's very light and I'm sure it kicks pretty hard, but that's to be expected...listen, it's no $2000 gun for sure...but IMO it's more than worth the money....I havent heard anything bad about them from other owners...I bought the SPZ ME which cost me about $420 including tax...there is another more expensive model but the only difference is the scroll work....the model I got has 5 chokes, 28 inch vent rib barrels, chrome lined bores, single selective trigger, selective ejectors, and is able to handle up to 3" shells...I'll be using it for bird hunting, and I couldn't be more pleased to finally have found one...I looked at them a month or so ago and when I decided to buy one they were all sold out...apparently they can't keep them on the shelves...some people may turn their noses up at them but I'm more concerned with how it handles and shoots...and so far it's gotten very positive reviews in those categories from owners...I'm not looking for an image, I'm looking for a gun to hunt with...check out yildizshotgun.com and look at them for yourself....I've got nothing against more expensive guns, they're beautiful and worth the money, I just went another route.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:44 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the input, I can't seem to find anyone up here in Canada with much info or experience on them.
They sure look good on the website, although the website isn't the best.
How would you compare them to a Stoeger Condor O/U?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:17 am 
Field Grade

I had to drive to Houston two weeks ago to pick mine up because they were sold out here in Austin, and San Antonio at Academy (which I think is the main dealer for them). I took it out for opening weekend for dove in south zone TX and I couldn't be more happy with it. Has a bit of a kick throwing off your second shot if your trying to hit two birds in one group, but I'll fix that by getting a better recoil pad. There are a bunch of hunters that come out for that opening weekend with very nice guns, so I saw a bunch of Citori's, and Ruger Red Labels. As Pharmr mention the more expensive ones are great guns, but it's the shooter not the gun that brings birds down. I had my limit in 30 minutes, while the Citori's and Red Labels were out for 2hrs +. The only thing that rubbed me the wrong way is that the choke tubes screwed in kinda rough. I bought another modified tube made by Briley, and it had a much nicer fit. The tubes that come with it aren't bad, they shoot great and fit in correctly, but the Briley tube seems to go in easier that the original ones. As far as how it compares to a Condor I'm not sure because I've never handled one, but I would definetly recommend shouldering a Yildiz a few times to see how you like it, along with many other O/U's so you can see which one fit's you the best. If you don't like the way it feels, don't buy it. I got a Browning BPS for xmas one year, and I did terrible shooting because I didn't like the way it shouldered or swung. I bought the Yildiz and a Benelli Nova, both which I like the way they shoulder and swing and I seem to be shooting much better. But hell, it could all just be in my head, who knows. If you can get both guns side by side and compare them at one shop I'd do that so you can easily see the pros and cons.
Happy Hunting!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:51 pm 
Limited Edition

Neum,

Where did you go for opening weekend? I was down by the Pharr P.O.E. and didn't see anything. I think between myself and one other guy we got ten birds. Talked with a bunch of guy's down there and hardly anyone got their limit.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:29 pm 
Crown Grade

jason forrest wrote:
I am wondering if anyone has experience with, or opinions of, Turkish made "Yildiz" O/U shotguns?

I don't own one, but I've handled several. For a cheap O/U, they shoulder nicely and could be a great lightweight field gun.

I believe the only importer of Yildiz shotguns in the USA is Academy Sports & Outdoors, a sporting goods chain found primarily in the South. They are importing 2 versions of an O/U in 2 gauges - 12 and 20. Both models have aluminum receivers with strengthening inserts. The fancier model has scroll engraving and nicer wood and sells for under $600. The base model is among the cheapest O/U's you'll find - $386.

I have noticed that the underlugs are not very deep - there isn't much "bite" to the lockup. I've also noticed that there is gun to gun variation in quality.

However, based upon the number of positive owner reviews, the Yildiz may be a genuine bargain.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:13 pm 
Field Grade

New-n-TX, I have family land that I go to east of San Antonio. There's a lot of day lease land around there so there's sunflower, corn, and milo all over these places and it attracts 'em like a magnet. I'm just lucky enough to have a place that right smack in the middle of all the day lease's.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

WinM12 is right...Academy is the only importer of the Yildiz. I contacted Yildiz in Turkey about this. The Academy stores are located in Oklahoma and Texas, all states along the gulf coast to Florida and Georgia. Jason, you might check out some of the earlier posts on the Yildiz. Check out "I went shopping for a O/U yesterday."
Chris...who still has not found another Yildiz to buy.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:20 am 
Field Grade

thanks,
I am up in Canada, and Yildiz is unheard of up here. Even the largest chain stores haven't seen or heard of these guns. Luckily, through a friend, I know someone who is importing 12 into Canada this coming week. I hope to point a few to get an idea of the fit.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

Jason,
Glad to hear you are going to get to see and feel of one! Hope you get a chance to purchase one too. Mine has well over 1500 rounds through it now and I would not take for it. I had a Pachmayer recoil pad installed on it and have a recoil reducer for it that I have not installed yet. I haven't decided if I want to yet. Keep in touch with us and let us know what you think and decide.
Chris

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:35 pm 
Field Grade

I hope to see the Yildiz tomorrow, but did get to see a similar gun today.........the Stoeger Condor Supreme. I like the way the Stoeger fit, but the finish and wood to steel gaps were brutal. I think I will wait to hold the Yildiz before I make a decision. Of course the gun store claims all these entry level guns are junk.

How does a recoil reduce work, I might be interested in one of those?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

I bought a lanber 2097 that is in this price range.It was tight at first but i put some good grease on it and about 300 rounds through it and it is sweet.You might want to cheak one out.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:08 pm 
Field Grade

Chris,
I finally got my hands on a Yildiz, and was very impressed. I believe it is a much nicer gun than anything I have seen in that price range. I have ordered myself a SPZ M for delivery ASAP.

I felt that the gun had a fairly sharp recoil. I see you are considering a recoil reducer, and pad. Have they worked for you? And where did you find them?

Jason

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

Jason,
The recoil pad took care of all the uncomfortable recoil. I have bought the mecury recoil reducer but have not decided to install it yet. I probably will in time but the gun really doesn't need it. The gunsmith wanted $90 to install the reducer, so if it goes into my gun, I will do it myself. The gunsmith told me that it had to be in perfect alignment with the bore, I don't buy it. I shoot 3" 1 1/8oz steel when hunting and 1 oz for skeet and sporting clays in my Yildiz. IMO, if you just have the recoil pad installed, it will take care of it for ya. Pachmayer, makes a waffle type recoil pad that is all black for $15. that is the one I like and recomend. Your gunsmith will probably charge between 45 and 60 to install it. If you have never used the gunsmith before, ask to see some of his installation jobs before leaving your gun with him. While you are having the recoil pad installed, be sure and have it installed at your desired length of pull.
Chris

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:29 pm 
Field Grade

I bought a Yildiz 20ga O/U about a month ago and took it out today and tried my hand at a couple rounds of sporting clays. I like the way the shotgun handles and swings. I am not an experienced clay shooter. I hunt. My favorite quail/pheasant/dove gun is a Browning A5. I did poorly, but enjoyed the experience with my first over/under. I think it is a lot of gun for the money. I plan on patterning the gun and then shooting some hand thrown clays before trying sporting clays again. The shotgun loosened up a bit (less stiff) and handled nicely. The wood seemed a bit dry when I bought it, so I applied linseed oil which improved the finish. I am going to shorten the length of pull a bit and change out the anemic recoil pad with something better. Overall a nice shotgun.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:04 am 
Field Grade

How do you know when the length of pull is correct for you on a gun?
Is it just a "feel" issue, as it has never crossed my mind before?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:28 pm 
Field Grade

Mostly it is a "feel" issue. For hunting, you decide what clothes you will be wearing and then see if you can cleanly swing your gun up to your shoulder without catching on your clothes, to shoulder it and fire it. We all have different length arms so guns are made for the average length of arm. If you ever shoot something like a Chinese SKS you will see the length of pull is shorter for a shooter of a shorter stature. A good ball-park measurement is to place the butt in the inside of your elbow holding the shotgun at it's wrist and see if you can reach the trigger without stretching your hand forward. That will get you pretty close. The rest is "feel".

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

Jason,
The LOP, (length of pull), is easily measured, like Tbaus said. However, I will elaborate on it a little farther. Bend your right arm (if you shoot right handed) and extend your arm across your chest...lay the gun butt on your arm with the butt in the bend of your arm. stick your trigger finger out straight, touching the trigger. If you are going to be shooting mostly clay targets, then you want the trigger to fall right on the first crease (crease is where you finger bends) of your finger. If you mostly hunt waterfowl in cold weather, wearing bulky clothing to keep warm, you will need the trigger to fall directly in the second crease.
Now in my case, I shoot alot of skeet, sporting clays and waterfowl hunting. So I have the LOP on my Yildiz set at the second crease. This is my preferrence. Keep in mind that the heavy clothing will increase your LOP. Also keep in mind that for SOME shooters, shortening the LOP can cause the stock to recoil into the shooters cheek bone...Ouch!
Chris