CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best O/U Shotgun Under $450 (New Cost)
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 9:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

OK guys, I need another shotgun about like I need another hole in my head, but here's my question anyway. Who knows, I just might find room in the safe for another gun or two.

What is the best buy on a 20 gauge O/U shotgun with 28" or 30" barrels with choke tubes for under $450? I want suggestions for new guns only. Tell me your experience with the gun you recommend. How long have you had it and how many rounds have you put through it? What problems, if any, have you had? Any service or repair work needed? Have you checked both barrels to see if they shoot to Point Of Aim? How far off are they? What does the wood look like? Workmanship? General appearance? I don't want something that looks like a fence post.

Yeah, I know I'm asking for a lot, but since I don't HAVE to buy another gun, I can afford to be choosey. :lol:

Post subject: Re: Best O/U Shotgun Under $450 (New Cost)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 4:34 am 
$450 for a new O/U???? Sorry for that kind of money---you can't be choosey-----DREAM ON.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 4:56 am 
Presentation Grade

Stoeger and Baikal (sp?) are about your only choices I have the Stoeger Condor in 20gauge and 12 gauge bought them on sale at Dick's Sporting Goods for $279.00 3 years ago and they have both been through several thousand rounds with no problems.Gordon Setter has had good success with the Baikals.Mine hit where I look.The plus side to the Stoeger is the availability of choke tubes it uses the same tubes as WInchester/Mossberg 500?Browning Invector.Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:32 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hi,

I too have a Stoeger Condor. Had it for 3 yrs now. It's a good value gun. I've had no trouble with it, and I treat pretty roughly at times. i.e. duckboats in the rain and sleet, pheasents in the thick stuff, and grouse in places that no sane person should be. So it has taken a pretty good beating and the nicks and dings don't bother me :) .

If the thing lasts me 10yrs and breaks, I'll use it for a fence post and get another :lol: . I would like to try a Bakail sometime though. I think they might be a good value also.

Dale

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:52 am 
Limited Edition

Although I've moved up to a 686 Gold E, I would still highly recommend the Baikal for someone looking for an inexpensive O/U. I have a 12ga and .410 and they both served me well. I won my class in the .410 and came in 7th in class at our state sporting clays shoot this year shooting them.

Social Shooting Club Life Member
NRA Life
NSCA Life
NSCA Certified Referee

Last edited by dervari on Sun Sep 21, 2003 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 3:47 pm 
Utility Grade

to dervari, the Baikal 410 is that a 26" or 28" barrel?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 4:30 pm 
Presentation Grade

Buy the one that fits.......hehehehe :lol:

I will just list the ones I can recall off the top of my head.

Lamber (CDNN)
Baikal (CDNN)
Stoeger
Tristar(CDNN)
Gazelle
Khan
Diamond

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:50 pm 
Limited Edition

i saw a Fausti this weekend for 399 at Dicks
also have seen the Stoegor Condor for 299 there as well,
not a big fan
save your money,
i waited and saved for my weatherby, trust me u will be much more happy. IMHO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:32 pm 
Utility Grade

Whats a weatherby? or Who is a weatherby?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

This is a Weatherby http://www.weatherby.com/shotguns/shotguns.shtml

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:44 am 
Tournament Grade

I think the baikals IZH-27s are a great value for an O/U. I have put almost 4 cases of shells through mine and hunted dove in the rain. It has not failed me yet, and I know 1000 shells isn't a lot, but it's a start...I would definately recomend the IZH-27. I hear a lot about the "spanish O/U's", though I don't know anything about them, I can't even remember the name of them. I typed that because I figured some one else would know what I'm talking about and post the name and any comments, cough* cough* hint* hint*.

Also, I'm sure pumper will be here shortly to tell you his fire pin breaking story, so I'm gonna say this before hand...My firing pin has not broken, and locally I have yet to hear of anyone's firing pin breaking, that's not to say what pumper says is a lie, I would never say that. I just think it was a rare occurance.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:47 am 
Tournament Grade

P.S. my IZH-27 cost me $369 + tax of course. I got the blued reciever, because it was the only one that had in 12 gauge at the time, but you can get the nicer looking nickel reciever for usually $20 more. If they had had that gun in the 12 gauge I would have purchased it instead, but I'm a compulsive buyer and could not wait for the reciever :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:30 am 
Limited Edition

My IZH's firing pin broke, but it was in part because I accidently dry fired it. The part was only $10 or so, and my 'smith installed it while I waited.

NRA Life
NSCA Life
NSCA Certified Referee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:03 am 
I bought my IZH27 from CDNN in Texas for $340.00 plus shipping. This is about the cheapest thing going with removable chokes. The quality of the gun is okay, very basic. The wood is surpizingly nice. The blueing is not to deep but is okay. It was extremely stiff and locked up quite a bit at first. I used a little bit of valve lapping compound to loosen up the fit of barrel to receiver and now it almost never locks up. When it does a bump with the left hand under the receiver opens it up. Other things were sawdust in the action, gunk in the barrells ect. This one really needs to be cleaned before use.

If you want a fun gun that you are not afraid to take out and use this is the one! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 7:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Stoeger or Baikal are both good choices.

I've shot a friend's Baikal and it fit me well. He shoots 23s, 24s, and will soon get a 25 in skeet with it.

Another guy at our range has a Stoeger. The finish is better than the Baikal but I haven't shot it. He shoots in the 20's with it but hasn't had it that long.

Given that the chokes on the Stoeger will be more available with the cross over from other makes, I'd lean towards it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 7:18 pm 
Limited Edition

Equismith wrote:
Given that the chokes on the Stoeger will be more available with the cross over from other makes, I'd lean towards it.

Trulock Chokes has every choke you'd ever need for the Baikal...flush, extended, ported....

NRA Life
NSCA Life
NSCA Certified Referee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 8:35 am 
Field Grade

I bought a Stoeger Condor a few months back, from Dick's 299.00 USD. I have the 20 gauge, 26'' model and have put about 400 rounds through it so far. Mine has performed well and given me no problems. Be aware that for $300.00 you will be sacrificing almost all aesthetic value... the wood will not be very good and the wood to metal fit will leave something to be desired. Other than these issues, it seems to be a quality firearm. Using hindsight, I feel like I got a good deal and would purchase the gun again.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:44 am 
Utility Grade

I just bought a verona and it looks like a nicely fit shotgun with nice wood nice checkering interchangeable chokes laser ingraving etc. the really nice part is that the gun is new and the price was only $500.00 not bad for a Italian quality shotgun, I actually think I stole the gun at that price. I am interested in your opinions of these guns.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Me thinks someone (Ulysses) is stirring the pot a little. :P :lol: :lol:

Skeet aren't hard to hit, just easy to miss....!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

So stir the pot--everyone needs one loaner/extra shot gun. My pair of try guns (daughter's friends, wife's friends, folks at work who'd like to try a clay game etc) is an an 1100 Remington and a low cost O/U. Light loads, cushy recoil pads, etc.

In the low cost O/U space:

Our current favorite--Academy Sporting Goods--Yildiz, the remaining inventory is being closed out at very low prices: just at $400.00 with tax and a case of shells.

Balanced nicely, ejectors, single sellective trigger, 5 chokes and Briley is said to be tooling up for after market flush chokes.

The two URL below show what the gun is like. Academy's version is plainer that the one on McNab and does not have the sling swivels shown on the Yildiz website.

It shoots well, it is a bit light 6.5 pounds, but when handled next to a Spartan or a Stoger there is no comparision. When fed 1 oz. ligth target loads it breaks targets nicely and it may follow me to Idaho for Chukar hunting.

http://www.macnab.co.uk/gun.php?gun=yild_spec
http://www.yildizshotgun.com/Overunder/spzme.htm

Happy Shooting!