CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Various Old Shotguns
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The following entries are from the website of Ron Gabel. Ron is THE guy to see if you have questions on a pre 1930 shotgun. His website is at
www.gabelguns.com/

Question:
I have a side by side 16ga made by NR Davis and sons no ser# how do i find the value of this gun and who owns the co. now so i can contact them thank you!

Answer:
N.R. Davis and Co., Assonet, Freetown, Me. circa 1853-1917 made hammer and good quality hammerless shotguns selling for $65 in 1887 and marked "Rival". Also made guns under Sears, Roebuck brand names. In 1917 they merged with Warner Arms Co. changing their name to Davis-Warner Arms, they became inactive about 1921. In 1930 they merged again with Crescent Arms Co. becomming Crescent-Davis Arms Co. They were again purchased by J. Stevens Arms Co. in 1932. Stevens was absorbed by Savage Arms Co. of Westfield Mass. in 1936.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Question:

i have a neumann brothers double barrel 12 gauge side by side two triggers and hammers,i have searched for information on this and no one knows i just want to know how much is this worth and who sold them.

Answer:

Neumann Bros. shotguns were made by Neumann Freres, a Belgium gun making company from 1863 to 1957. They are not of great collector value and seem to go from $200 to $400 at auctions.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Guns marked "Royal Gun Works" were made in Belgium by Anciens Etablissments Pieper. These guns are not anything special.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
The "New White Powder Wonder" was made by the Crescent Fire Arms Co. if produced before 1919 and by the J. Stevens Arms Co. if it was made after 1919. Single barreled shotguns, such as yours, that are so marked were made by the W. H. Davenport Arms Company circa 1891 to 1910.

The trade name White Powder Wonder was used by a number of companies. It was used by the Cescent Fire Arms Company, The W.H. Davenport Arms Company, The Meriden Fire Arms Company - Fyrberg type single, and the J. Stevens Arms and Tool Company who produced them for Sears, Roebuck & Co. You can find additional info on these companies by searching my answers to previous questions.

-------------------------------------------------------------
The "Long Range Wonder" and "Long Range Marvel" shotguns were produced by the Crescent Fire Arms Company from 1893 to 1909, by the Meriden Fire Arms Company from 1910 to 1917 and by the J. Stevens Arms Company after 1917.

---------------------------------------------------------------
In 1976 production of the Auto-5 shotgun was begun by B.C. Miroku in Japan. This move was accomplished after 2,750,000 auto-5 shotguns were manufactured by FN in Belgium between 1903 and 1976. The Miroku version of the Sweet Sixteen is similar to the Belgium produced sweet sixteen and was introduced in 1988 and discontinued in 1992. I suspect this version may not have had the gold plated trigger used on the Belgium made sweet sixteen produced from 1936 to 1976. The retail value in good shape is about $300.00.

--------------------------------------------------------------
The Crescent company were gun makers from 1892 to 1935 and were owned by the H&D Folsom Arms Company from 1893 and later.
--------------------------------------------------------------
The Eureka Arms Company shotguns were made by the Hopkins and Allen Arms Company. For reference I recommend "Shotgun markings: 1865 to 1940" by Joseph T. Vorisek or "The Golden Age of Shotgunning" by Bob Hinman.

------------------------------------------------------------------
The Imperial Arms Company in Philadelphia Pa. imported shotguns from Georges LaLoux, a Belgium gun maker c. 1920 to 1940.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Etonia was a trade name of the H.W. Cooey Machine & Arms Company that was used on guns made for Eaton's of Canada.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Shotguns marked "Enders Royal Service" were made by the Crescent Fire Arms Company, Model 60 and also by the Hunter Arms Company, Fulton Model (made for Shapleigh Hardware Company). Additional info on all these companies can be found by searching answers to previous questions.

---------------------------------------------------------------
The Crescent Firearms Co. of Norwich Conn. produced single and double barreled shotguns from about 1892. H & D Folsom Arms Co. secured control of the company about 1893 and retained control until 1932.
-
Oxford Arms Company was the trade name of Belknap Hardware Company on shotguns made by Crescent. The Crescent Firearms Company in Norwich Connecticut made cheap revolvers, rifles and shotguns from 1888 to 1893 after which it was controlled by H & D Folsom Arms Company till 1931
-
The Central Arms Company shotguns were manufactured by the Crescent Fire Arms Co. of Norwich Conn. for the Shapleigh Hardware Company of St. Louis, MO. You would be extremely lucky to find a replacement stock. Perhaps a good gunsmith could adapt a stock to fit from another period shotgun.

The Crescent Co. made inexpensive single and double barrel shotguns at Norwich, CT beginning about 1892. The company was later bought by H&D Folsom of NYC. Crescent guns were offered in 12, 16, 20 and 28 gauges and later 44XL shot caliber with Damascus Twist laminated or Armory Steel barrels. I do not normally like to comment on guns made after 1898 as these are not my interest. While sold by H&D Folsom the guns were marked The American Gun Company of NY. In 1922 the Crescent brand replaced the American Gun Co. and the guns were marked "New Empire" in 1931. Crescent was bought by J. Stevens about 1930. The Crescent New Empire No. 88 hammerless sidelock shotgun ranges in value from $150 in poor condition to about $400 in fine condition.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
The Peerless shotgun was manufactured by the Crescent Firearms Company of Meriden and Norwich CT and was a brand name on guns made for H & D Folsom, an importer and distributor of firearms and general sporting goods, who ultimately purchased the Crescent Firearms Company. These guns are of little collector value and are normally priced according to their condition from $100 to $250.

The "Nitro Hunter", if a single barrel, was made by the Crescent Fire Arms company or by the Hopkins and Allen company. If it is a double barrel shotgun it was made in Belgium and imported for sale in the USA.

W.H. Davenport was a shotgun maker located at 790 Orange Street in Providence Rhode Island circa 1880-1883. He reorganized his business in Norwich Connecticut in 1890 and operated through 1900. He is known mostly for his top-break single action shotguns, but he also made a lever action with sliding breech lock. Shotguns are only recently becomming collectable and will increase in value as additional information is published.

------------------------------------
"Empire" was a trade name on shotguns made for Sears & Roebuck & Co. by the Crescent Fire Arms Co. The Crescent Co. was established in Norwich Ct. in 1892 and manufactured shotguns and handguns