CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 870 wingmaster question.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:58 am 
Utility Grade

my dad has a 870 wingmaster he got from walmart 18 years ago, any way he wants to sell it and was talking to someone about it, this person has him comvinced that it is worth more than the same 870 walmart sells today. something about the quality of new 870s. thanks

MOSSBERG 590.

Post subject: Re: 870 wingmaster question.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:08 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

Old Wingmasters were good guns with few,if any, plastic parts and better finish and quality than Remington puts out today. While I would never buy a new M870,the old ones were good and may be worth a preimum.

One issue is that the older M870s had fixed chokes and this is seen as a drawback in today's market. On the other hand, Remington installed alot of their choke tubes crooked.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:08 am 
Tournament Grade

what your fathers shotgun is worth depends entirely on the condition it is in. some of the older guns were better fit and finished.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:45 am 
Presentation Grade

I have an older Remmy 870 Wingmaster Magnum 20 Gauge. This gun has a 12 gauge magazine tube, so a regular replacement barrel won't work on this gun. I have been trying to track down a Fully Rifled barrel for this gun for the upcoming deer season in MN with no luck. Any ideas on where to find a replacement barrel or am I basically SOL?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:48 pm 
Field Grade

I have been looking for a wingmaster 12 or 20. Is it in good condition? what length barrel and what choke? contact me if you are interested in selling.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:42 pm 
Crown Grade

OT810 wrote:
my dad has a 870 wingmaster he got from walmart 18 years ago, any way he wants to sell it and was talking to someone about it, this person has him comvinced that it is worth more than the same 870 walmart sells today. something about the quality of new 870s. thanks

The 870 Express is a lower priced version of the classic 870 Wingmaster. A used Wingmaster will likely command a higher price than a new or like new 870 Express. Likewise, a used Beretta 391 is worth more than the cheapy Beretta 3901 Walmart special.

I have purchased 5 new Remingtons within the past 2 years. I have been very happy with their quality, given the price range. I am aware that some people have had bad experiences with some Remingtons, but I have had no issues with the quality of current Remington guns.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:57 am 
Field Grade

As stated before it will depend primarily on the condition. I do however have to defend the current 870 production. I've shot several new and relatievly new 870 and never had a problem. I also use a new model 870 as one of my turkey guns and have never had a problem.
Out of curiosity what do you guys not like about the new 870's?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:22 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

Well, I guess that my problem with a 870 Express began when I won it at a DU dinner. The choke tube was installed crooked and the gun would not hit a 30"X30" paper at twenty feet. When I returned the gun, Remington accused me of shooting "reloads" in it and thus revoked my warranty. I never shoot reloads. They were pure a$$es on the phone and by mail. They gave me a new barrel that was also defective,same problem, and again said that I had misused the gun. This gun had only 20 or less rounds through it. It took 9 months and many phone calls/letters to get this gun right. I gave it to a guy that needed it and he has had zero problems with it.

To Remington's credit,I understand that they have admitted to letting many "barrels out the door" with no inspection. They have admitted to rough chambers and many other problems that were concerned with replacing steel with plastic,etc,etc. I guess this is their idea of "Custormer Service". Still,I would not buy any new Remington product and be very wary of used Remington shotguns.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:07 am 
Presentation Grade

You guys talk about new and old remington wingmasters. What is considered old and what is considered new?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:30 pm 
Crown Grade

brookie wrote:
You guys talk about new and old remington wingmasters. What is considered old and what is considered new?

A good question. IMHO this is on a “sliding scale”. When I was 20, in 1972, they used to say “they’re not as good as the old ones from the 1950’s”. Now its “they’re not as good as the old ones from the 1970’s”.

OT810 wrote:

I have been shooting them since 1972. I bought one around 1988, seventeen years ago and I would prefer the current production gun, specifically an 870 Wingmaster LC to that gun. It is one of the few 870’s I parted with.

I found the 870’s from the late 1980’s generally had poorer wood, the wood finish/fit was not as good. In addition, the early Remchoke barrels were heavier, making the gun “clubby” compared to the newer LC’s.

As for general fit and finish, the current production Wingmasters I have seen are very well done. The latest production 870's and 1100's/11-87's that have been brought out to our club seem to shoot and function just fine.

In the rare times I have needed parts and service, Remington has treated me very well, including one case they went beyond their obligations to help me out.

WinM12 wrote:
I have been very happy with their quality, given the price range. I am aware that some people have had bad experiences with some Remingtons, but I have had no issues with the quality of current Remington guns.

WinM12, I fully agree.

El Padrino wrote:
Out of curiosity what do you guys not like about the new 870's?

I don’t like it that I have a sufficient number of various Wingmasters and target grades that it is getting hard to come up with an excuse to buy another one :wink: :lol:

No, I don’t work for Remington and they are not a “family tradition" going back several generations for me; in fact, there was a time when I would not consider them. I have been shooting trap for 35+ years, here’s a brief summary of my relationship w/Remingtons;

1970; hated them, influenced by older, conservative shooters, to me they were the "punch press" guns with aluminium trigger guards and stampings. Not a "real gun" by any means.

1972; bought a used 870 20g Standard for a beater grouse gun, became impressed with the design fairly quickly, it earned my respect.

1976; bought the 870TB as a back-up trap gun, it quickly displaced the SKB 600 Trap o/u I had shot since 1971.

At this time 1100's were still "iffy" to me.

1984; my wife started shooting, 1100's were selected for recoil considerations. Became impressed with the 1100's as I did with the 870 in 1972.

I can afford the various "B guns" and am well aware of what is on the market. I have owned a good number of other types of guns and had occasion to shoot most of the others that I haven't owned, at least a bit.

Strangely, I have found I am more comfortable shooting repeating shotguns and that the typical Remington stock configurations and "feel" of them best suits me and I enjoy shooting them and shoot my best averages with them, so I use them.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The 870wingmaster is a much nicer finished out gun than the 870 express that is currently sold at walmart and other stores. They make and currently sell both models. In my LGS last year the same gun in express and wingmaster was priced about $220 different (In .410). Look at the retail price of the wingmaster and the express. If you find the right buyer it is worth at least as much as the 870 express new. However a guy buying it just for hunting might prefer the interchangable chokes over the nicer finish.
What he can get for it is going to depend on the local market and if he can find the right buyer.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:47 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a new 20 gauge Remington Wingmaster. The wood to metal fit is fine, the wood and blueing is nice, and the gun shoots where I point it. I've had no problems whatsoever with my Wingmaster and really like it.