CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Recoil pad that fits Yildiz O/U
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:03 pm 
Field Grade

Well Yildiz fans after a lot of measuring and research I found an aftermarket recoil pad that fits to replace the thin piece of rubber that comes stock on the gun. Limbsaver #10702 precise fit recoil pad will fit on a Yildiz O/U 12 ga. It's the same pad that fits the 5 inch Beretta models. There is some modification involved though, here are the details:

First you'll need to get a dowel to fit and plug the existing screw holes as the holes for the new pad are slightly higher. I just dipped the dowel in some carpenters glue and pushed them into the old screw holes. The new holes that you'll need to drill are about 1/16th higher than the existing screw holes. Too bad they couldn't be right on, it would have made this job a little easier!

Next use the template that's provided with the Limbsaver pad, line it up on the stock, and mark both of your new holes to be drilled with a nail or center punch. Obviously make sure that the glue has dried and the old holes are completely filled in.

Then you'll need to cut or file down the nubs that stick out on the Limbsaver pad so that it sits flush to the stock. I just used a small saw and some sandpaper to even mine out. Took all of 15 minutes.

Last drill your new screw holes and screw on the new Limbsaver pad. The pad has a flat back unlike the stock on the Yildiz which is slightly curved, but if you screw the pad on securely it should go on flush to the stock.

There you go folks. Hope this helps anyone trying to find a replacement pad for the "Y". Only issue I might see someone having is that by putting on the limbsaver pad it increases the LOP to roughly 14.75 in, and I think it comes stock at 14 in. Probably will help me since I'm 6'8", but I'm not sure since I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

Another idea that popped in my head is that since this Limbsaver pad is originally for all 5 in Beretta model shotguns that I may be able to fit a 5 in Beretta gel pad on the Yildiz as well now that I have the new screw holes drilled in the stock. But that's a project for another day. I'll get some pictures up for the visual people as soon as I can.

Post subject: Re: Recoil pad that fits Yildiz O/U
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:25 am 
Tournament Grade

That LOP is very important when installing a pad. I am 6 foot tall, which is probably an average height for most shooters. When I had my recoil pad installed on the Yildiz, I had the stock cut off the thickness of the recoil pad...minus the thickness of the existing pad....plus another 1/2 inch.
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:08 am 
Field Grade

No doubt, I'll be able to test mine this weekend and see if fits me. I may have to have the stock cut down as well because I'm use to shooting my Nova which I think has a 14 in LOP. What pad did you go with after having the stock cut down?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

I am not sure what model # it is but it is a Pachmayer waffle type pad. The gunsmith told me it was size large. It is just like the classic "White-Line" pad. Only it doesn't have the white line. The pad itself cost $15. the installation was $80. Just a note, I got ripped on this deal. I took the gun to Gun World in Midwest City, OK. They told me that it would be $60 for the entire installation, pad included, and gave me a finish date. They ended up getting it finished several days after the promise date and charged me $95 total which included the price of the pad. I think they priced the pad at $25 and I can buy the same pad anywhere else for $15. I got in a fight with them over this deal as they also did a VERY POOR job. It looks like crap and they did not cut it to the LOP that I ordered. The manager said it looked great. So, to make a long story short, I had to pay the full amount that they wanted, not the quoted price to get my gun back.
You can see what a mess just a pad installation can be. In the meantime, I need to find a gunsmith I can trust or do it myself. I could have easily done a much better job but I wanted it perfect. I intend on getting it redone after waterfowl season is over. Sorry, I don't get much of a chance to vent over this!
Nothing upsets me more than to get screwed over getting gun service.
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:13 pm 
Field Grade

It's not that hard to do, but it helps to have a band saw to make sure you get a perfectly square cut and to follow the countour of the original butt of the buttstock. I need to find out where to get a quality sand to fit recoil pad at a reasonable price ( like the $15 you quoted) in the Austin area. Do you know if Sportsman's Warehouse sells pads?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:19 am 
Field Grade

I'm sure they probably do since they carry a pretty big selection of firearms. If you looking for something closer to Austin try the Cabelas that just opened in Buda. That's where I got my Limbsaver pad from. It was only $30, which was cheaper than anything I found on the internet. They usually have pretty good deals. I got a mercury recoil reducer for my Nova from there for $20, and the next cheapest one I found was $40 online after shipping.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:38 pm 
Field Grade

Neumanator, I take it by your post you don't know the Sportsman's Warehouse is in Round Rock on IH-35. I really want to go to Cabelas sometime. I hear it is crowded pretty much all the time. Since I live north of Georgetown, it would be quite a trek on a weekday, through Austin city traffic to go there on a weekday. I plan on going some Sunday.... How does the mercury recoil reducer install? Is it a tube you drill a hole in the buttstock and glue in? I've read good things about limbsaver pads, but I have no experience with them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:21 pm 
Field Grade

Ahh, I didn't know they had a store in Round Rock. I'll have to keep that in mind. I live in south Austin so it only takes me about 10 minutes to get to Cableas. I usually go on the weekend and it's not crowded at all. As far as the recoil reducer goes it just mounts into a bracket that screws into the stock. The receiver and stock on the Benelli Nova are all one piece and the stock is hollow. Everything is pre fit so you don't have to do any modification whatsoever to the gun. I know that for most other guns you have to put the reducer into the exiting hole in the stock where the bolt is screwed in, or have another hole drilled. Either way that's something I'd leave to a gunsmith. After measuring the LOP and shouldering my Yildiz a number of times I'm almost 90% sure that I'm going to have the stock cut down like Chris did. The limbsaver should fit fine, but it will probably need to be trimmed on the bottom after it's put on. Like you said I went with the limbsaver because I've heard nothing but good things about them so I had no reservations about buying one. Hopefully I won't have the same gunsmith problems that Chris had though, that just sucks!! I've contacted a few places in Austin, and McBrides said they'd do it for about $40 plus the price of the pad. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.
Neuman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

neumanator wrote:
I found an aftermarket recoil pad that fits

thanks for the info :)...I ordered my 10702 today and look forward to installing it...I knew a prefit could be found!!!...if you get a chance post the pictures, I'd like to see them...and do you remeber what size dowel you used??...I'm heading to the store to pick some up and thought you might remember, if not I'll figure it out...thanks again!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:58 pm 
Field Grade

I ended up shaving down the dowel I used because it was too big. It almost looks like you could use a toothpick with some carpenters glue to fill the old screw holes, but I wanted it to have a pretty snug fit. Like I said I'm gonna have to stock cut down too cause the LOP is just a little long for me. I'll have some pictures up soon.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:26 pm 
Utility Grade

If you want a quality job done at a reasonable price, I heartily recommend McBride's in Austin. They guarantee their work, and use experienced gunsmiths.

For my sporting clays, helice, and FITASC guns I use Packmayr Decelerators and Kickease pads. I have found nothing better, especially when shooting two shots quickly at each bird in helice. I find that most of other competitors down here use either of the pads above. Jim Haynes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:26 am 
Tournament Grade

well a BIG thanks to neumanator for doing the legwork on this....I just installed my Limbsaver #10702 recoil pad and it fit perfect...if you take your time, follow his instructions, and measure carefully, it looks like it was made for the Yildiz!!!...thanks again!!!...cost me $32 and about 30-45 minutes...no need to go to a gunsmith and spend extra $$!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

here's a picture of the Limbsaver #10702 installed on my Yildiz...again, thanks to neumanator for the legwork on this!!!...click on the pic to enlarge it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:11 am 
Tournament Grade

one last thing while I beat this thread dead....the increase in LOP when the pad is added was minimal IMO...but where the gun fit well before the pad, the fit is now perfect for me...this gun mounts like it's part of me, something I took for granted and never really thought about with my other guns.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:33 pm 
Field Grade

I'm glad it worked out well for you Pharmr! I actually dropped mine off yesterday to have it cut down to 14.25 LOP. The gunsmith said that he could cut down the limbsaver pad even though they reccommend not to because it would just be a minimal amount. I went quail hunting this past weekend and of course used the Yildiz. Had the Mod over the IC which really helped because we jumped some big coveys that had 15+ quail in each covey. I hit 2 birds out of 1 covey 3 times. Unfortunatly after jumping about 8 coveys and only getting 10 quail out of a box of shells I realized that the LOP was just a tad long for me. By the way great pic too, I've been meaning to post one, you've already taken care of that. I'll report in after I get it back next Tuesday on how it looks and feels.
Neuman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

thanks Neuman...I couldn't be more happy with how it turned out....I'm going for some quail tommorrow morning...my first quail hunt of the season...I'll let you know how it goes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

well the hunt got cut short this morning(my buddy had to get to a job site when one of his workers didn't show up), but there are TONS of quail out here this year!!...I got half a dozen in the bag today and my gun's performance was flawless...the new pad felt great as well...well we still have almost 4 more months of quail season left.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:39 am 
Field Grade

ttt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:20 pm 
Limited Edition

The Limbsaver 10702 will also fit the 20 gage SPZ Me. It did increase the length, I haven't put the tape to it, but it is a perfect fit for me now.

Wiggles Sadie
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1030

Will Munny
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1031

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:03 am 
Utility Grade

Well guess what...not all Yildiz are created equal. The recoil
pad turned out to be smaller than the butt area on my
spl. I,m going to have it cut and trimed to accept it.