CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winchester WAA12 wads
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:51 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Friend of mine just picked up a used loader and bunch of components. Among them are a couple thousand WAA12 wads. (NOT WAA12SL).

She uses Clays, AA hulls, Rem209 primers and loads 1oz. #9. I'm not finding recipes for that specific wad. With the WAA12SL we're looking at about 17.4gr Clays. Can the WAA12 (white)wad be interchanged with the WAA12SL (pink) on this load?

Post subject: Re: Winchester WAA12 wads
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:10 am 
Diamond Grade

The WAA12 wad is listed as a wad for 1oz -1 3/8oz I beileve. For all practical purposes its a 1 1/8oz wad and dosnt work real well for 1oz loads. The only time I've had decent luck with them in 1oz loads is when useing powders charges of 21.5-23grns of bulky slower powder like GreenDot. My favorite "hot" 1oz loads uses GD and 1 1/8oz Windjammer wad. In her case shes best off sticking with the WAA12SL.

Tim

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:12 am 
Crown Grade

No. The crimps will be dished in. It is made for ounce and an eigth load. You could screw around with adding a card wad but that is a waste of time, trade or sell them and buy what you need for your load.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:55 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks guys. They're going up on the bulletin board at the club for sale then. We'll stick with the pink wads.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:29 pm 
Utility Grade

I use those same wads or the claybuster equiv. and I am loading 17.3 grs of clays on a 1 1/8 oz load. Works very well for me. VBest I can tell it's a medium weight load as far as the powder goes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

We did a cost analysis and it looks like she's gonna go ahead and load 1 1/8oz to use up those wads. Old AA hulls, 17.0 gr Clays, WAA12 wad, 1 1/8oz #9. She got the components so cheap it's a wash whether to buy new wads and go down to 1oz or just load the 1 1/8 with the WAA12s.

Thanks again gents.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:49 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

If the crimps dish in, just drop a kernel of popcorn in the wad before the shot.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:09 pm 
Crown Grade

Try fiddling with the crimp before you give up. I'm using the Claybuster clone of the AA with 1 oz and it's working fine, but it didn't until I adjusted the the crimp station. You not only need to adjust the punch that goes in the middle, but also the part that adjusts the overall length of the finished shell. On a 600jr, it takes an allen wrench on the side of the cam thingy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I don't know what kind of reloading press you are using, but I use a Hornady 366. I have numerous shot bushings which will throw shot charges between 1 ounce and 1 1/8 ounce. I recently loaded some Win AA shells using the same components you mentioned and I loaded about 454 grains of #8.5 shot (slightly more than one ounce) using the WAA12 wads and the shells crimped just fine.

Bushings are cheap. There is no reason, IMO, not to have a good supply of shot and powder bushings to throw just about any reasonable load that you desire. That way, when you have a certain supply of wads, or powder, or hulls that you want to use up, it's a simple matter of selecting the bushing that throws just the right amount of shot or powder to make a near-perfect reload. I seldom even need to adjust the dies. Just select the proper bushings and reloading is very simple.

Of course, some people would prefer to put up with endless headaches and poor quality reloads than spend a few dollars to buy a good supply of bushings. BTW, once you buy the bushings, you will never have to replace them since they never wear out. At least, I've never been able to wear one out.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

No no no no. I refuse to use bushings!

Um, Uly, where did the bushing lecture come from?

BTW, it's a MEC 9000H. I'm already familiar with MECs and the 9000 series.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:52 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Another thought is to wad or roll up a sheet of toliet paper in the shotcup of each wad before you load them. This will take up about 1/8 ounce or space and you could do the whole bunch of wads while watching tv or something else and be they would be ready to go when you started loading. The paper will compress when you seat the wad before you put the shot in. You can vary the amount of paper to get the right crimp you want.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:53 pm 
Presentation Grade

how can you refuse to use bushings if it's a Mec ? that's what's in it for measuring powder , and that's what you use to change powder charges . paul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

bladesmith wrote:
how can you refuse to use bushings if it's a Mec ? that's what's in it for measuring powder , and that's what you use to change powder charges . paul

That was supposed to be humor, Paul. Just gigging Uly for turning the thread into a lecture about bushings. I indeed have a full compliment of powder bushings for my own 9000 and I know my friend has five or six clustered around high 20s and low 30s.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:14 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Quote:
how can you refuse to use bushings if it's a Mec ?

Adjustable charge bar. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

driller wrote:
If the crimps dish in, just drop a kernel of popcorn in the wad before the shot.

Popped or unpopped? Would buttered hurt or help? Actually, I guess if you put in an unpopped kernel, the shotgun would cause it to pop on the way down the barrel...could cause pressure problems... :roll:

Seriously, never heard of this before, sounds like a great idea.

I bet the guys at the range get this unknown desire for popcorn when you shoot and they dont have any idea why...

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Scoupe wrote:
bladesmith wrote:

That was supposed to be humor, Paul. Just gigging Uly for turning the thread into a lecture about bushings. I indeed have a full compliment of powder bushings for my own 9000 and I know my friend has five or six clustered around high 20s and low 30s.

I knew that you were gigging me. That's why I didn't respond. :D But in addition to having a variety of powder bushings, you need to be able to make adjustments to the shot charge being thrown. Just having a choice of 1 ounce or 1 1/8 ounce is not sufficient choices, IMO. Personally, I like to be able to change the powder drop in increments of 1 grain or less, and to be able to change the shot drop in increments of about 15 to 18 grains. That way, whatever combination of components I want to use (within reason), I can use them without having to make adjustments to my reloader...... other than putting in the correct bushings. :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:47 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Ulysses wrote:
Scoupe wrote:
bladesmith wrote:

I knew that you were gigging me. That's why I didn't respond. :D But in addition to having a variety of powder bushings, you need to be able to make adjustments to the shot charge being thrown. Just having a choice of 1 ounce or 1 1/8 ounce is not sufficient choices, IMO. Personally, I like to be able to change the powder drop in increments of 1 grain or less, and to be able to change the shot drop in increments of about 15 to 18 grains. That way, whatever combination of components I want to use (within reason), I can use them without having to make adjustments to my reloader...... other than putting in the correct bushings. :D

Well shucks, I guess I need a new reloader then since MEC doesn't have shot bushings. I thought since the throws seem to weigh okay, and my loads pattern well, I'd be okay. Durn it all. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:52 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Scoupe,

Dump that MEC on some unsuspecting dude and move up to a Hornady 366. You can't imagine the enjoyment I get out of reading all the problems that guys have with their MEC's. :D :D The latest laugh was the one about having to lubricate the NEW primer system so that the primers would slide down the ramp. :P :P :P

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... highlight=

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:45 am 
Field Grade

Put a 20 ga. card wad, about 1/8" thick, in the BOTTOM of the WAA12 before you drop your shot into the shell. Works well for 1oz. loads. While you are loading, insert the 20 ga. cardboard wad into the 12ga wad with your index finger. Then load normally. It's a little slower, obviously. But, it works great and is not that much slower. Just don't put the card on top of the shot. If you do, it will work kind of like a shot spreader and really open up your shot patterns.