CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wanting to buy a Skeet gun...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:54 am 
Tournament Grade

After reading many of the posts on these forums, I've decided to register here. I really like the friendly atmosphere at this site.

I am interested in getting into shotgun sports again. I shot Skeet very briefly back in 1969-70 but had to drop out due to various reasons. At that time I was using a Beretta Silver Snipe and reloading my own shells.

After going out to a couple of local clubs and watching the shooters shoot Trap and Skeet for awhile, I've decided that I would like to get back into Skeet. I'm not a hunter and am only interested in shooting for sport/competition.

I've been doing as much research as I can but am a bit confused on which gun to purchase. My budget is up to $1200 for the gun and necessary modifications (chokes, sights, fitting, etc.). My initial thoughts were 12 ga but have also been reading the replys regarding 20's. I will be getting a reloader as well as I found that to be a very enjoyable part of the hobby/sport. I would prefer an O/U and would appreciate any suggestions. I would like as much quality as I can get for the bucks, but I'm not opposed to paying less for a good entry level gun either. That's assuming that I'm not already at the bottom of the enty scale at $1200. :)

Post subject: Re: Wanting to buy a Skeet gun...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Otto,
Welcome to Shotgunworld and welcome back to the shooting sports.

I've moved your post to the Trap/Skeet/Sporting Clays forum because I think these guys will better serve your needs.

As for guns I think the 12 gauge O/U is the most versitile for clays. They can be loaded up or down to serve your needs and if you decide to get into shoots with smaller gauges inserts from Briley can be had.

As for which one, well that's a whole different MaryAnn.
In this price range I'd look at Ruger, Remington 332, Winchester or Lightly used Beretta, Browning, Franchi.

A few of the members out here will be along shortly to help.

Again, welcome aboard and let us know how it turns out.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:56 pm 
Crown Grade

If you're not averse to picking up your empty hulls, there are more and more guys shooting skeet (and everything else) with autoloaders. And $600 - $800 gets you a bunch of gas guns to choose from.

I shoot an O/U for skeet (20 ga. Red Label) so I'm not gonna give any advice on an autoloader. The over/unders already mentioined are a good bunch to choose from - before you take the plunge, see if you can shoot one or more of them. Most of the guys I know are more than willing to let an undecided shopper try their gun for a few stations or even a whole round.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You've received good advice already, but I'll add my 2 or 3 cents worth. :lol: As for brand, get any of the more popular brands. They are generally better quality, easier to find parts for if needed, and easier to resell. Nuff said on that. :wink:

As for gauge, get a 12 gauge. Why? Well, I can think of several reasons. First, if there is any competitiveness to you at all, you will want to break all the birds you can. If you have a 20 gauge, eventually you will begin to wonder how many more birds a 12 gauge will get for you. Soon then, you'll be shopping for a 12 gauge. Better to just get it right off the bat and save yourself a lot of money on resale, choke tubes, reloading equipment, reloading components, and the like.

Second, there is a better selection of EVERYTHING in 12 gauge whether it is the gun, the ammo, the components (wads, hulls, etc), the reloader, the choke tubes, etc. Third, you usually pay a lower price for 12 gauge stuff.

Fourth, 12 gauge shells are just easier to reload than 20 gauge. They are more forgiving.

Fifth, with a 12 gauge reloader, you can load down to 20 gauge payload, if desired, and actually have LESS recoil than shooting that same payload in a 20 gauge.

Sixth, this is just a 12 gauge world we live in. That's not to say you can't shoot a different gauge, but most of the clay sports are geared around the 12 gauge and that is what most shooters use. If you run out of shells on the skeet field and need another shell or two to finish the round, just about anyone in the group can hand you a couple of 12 gauge shells. If you need a 20 gauge shell, you may have to walk back to the parking lot to get one from your car. On the trap fields you see even fewer 20 gauges than on the skeet field. With a 20 gauge, it's just kind of like you are going the wrong way on a one-way street. Take it from someone who tried it. It's just easier to go with the flow than to constantly go against it. Sooner or later you'll get the 12 gauge anyway, so why not just buy it to start with. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:13 pm 
Field Grade

If I were luckier than I am, I would have a Franchi Veloce 20ga. for skeet. These little babies have either a pistol grip or straight stock,and only weigh 5 1/2 lbs! Barrels (kinda pricey) can be interchanged between 20ga. and 28ga. But the guns run around $1300. If I had that much money burning a hole in my wallet, it's the next one I'd go after.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:53 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Ithica Guy;

I didn't give that much for mine! Maybe I got a deal?? I would like to have the 28 ga. barrels for mine, but alass, they weren't available when I bought my Veloce. I haven't yet decided whether it is all that good of Skeet gun or not. I'm not really a Skeet shooter, YET, but, it is a bit light and whippy. One thing I absolutly detest about my Veloce is the fact that EVERY time I open the danged thing it goes back on safety! I hate that! I just might have to see wht I can remove to make it quit that? Can't be too much! It can be a pain in the rear if you forget to go back to fire before you call for a rock! I just got a pair of Skeet chokes from Truelock for mine it did add 3/4" to the length of the barrels but you can't tell it in shooting it! I may need another 20 ga. shotgun anyway, My 28 year old Daughter has decided SHE likes MY Veloce???

BP

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:20 am 
You can find a good o/u for $1200 if you look around. I found a beretta whitewing for $800. I've seen 686 Onyxs going for less than $1200. A good gun and a little bit heavier than the whitewing, so recoil should be a little better.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:21 am 
Utility Grade

Ay, I hate that it lets you post without logging in. That last post was me...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

phermes - check the log in automatically box

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've gone out and looked at a couple of the guns mentioned. The Ruger seemed like a nice gun, but I noticed that the barrel selector had scratced the receiver on the one I was looking at. Is this normal on that gun or just this particular one.

I also looked at the Beretta 686 Onyx and it seemed very nice. Unfortunately, they didn't have a 12 ga. in stock, only the 20. I want to hold the 12 to see what it's like. I believe the price was $1229.

I looked at a Browning but the stock seemed too wide for me and the price was already way out of my budget.

I'm going to look at some more this weekend. I'm trying not to get in too much of a hurry and to take my time. I really can't afford to replace a mistake right away.

I'm also going to the Colorado Skeet Shooters Assoc. shoot this weekend in Watkins. Hopefully, I might get some ideas there as well.

Thanks again for all your input, it's much appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:32 pm 
Utility Grade

Yes, that does make things easier. Thanks, Bill!! :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:19 am 
Tournament Grade

Hey, glad I could finally help someone on this forum. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:56 am 
I just looked at my Ruger and is not scratched below the selector. Also, you might want to keep in mind that the Ruger has mechanical triggers. This means that if you want to put smaller gauge tubes in your gun, some skeet shooters do this, you can do it without having to buy a new trigger. You probably knew this, hope I did'nt insult your knowledge. I am happy with my Red Label, I like American made products, your mileage may vary. Welcome back and good luck in your search.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

The only Ruger I've looked at had the scratches and the selector seemed loose and sloppy. If that's not typical, then it's still on my possibles list. Thanks for the info on the trigger, and no, you didn't insult me. I really have very little knowledge at this stage of the game and was unaware of the trigger to tube relationships. I just recently found out that tubes were being installed to shoot smaller gauges. I don't think they had those back when I used to shoot. Seems everyone had a gun of each gauge that they wanted to shoot.

I did go look on Briley's at tubes and was a bit surprised at the prices. I'm not sure I wouldn't just opt for another gun of the gauge I wanted. I know that guns in the range I'm looking at are twice as much as the tubes, but I still think I'd rather have the guns. Besides, I see this all starting to get addictive already and I don't have a gun yet. I'm really fighting the "I want it now" urge so I can make an intelligent decision on what's going to be best, for me.

I've noticed some other guns being mentioned such as Verona and Stoeger as being very affordable. This is making things very difficult, but the "search" is fun. I'm now thinking in terms of 26" as opposed to 28" barrels. If my memory serves, I think the Silver Snipe I had back in '69 had 26" barrels.

Thanks again for your input and keep it coming. It's much appreciated and makes the re-entry back into the sport a lot of fun. I'm sure glad I found these forums. Sure are some nice friendly people here.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You have to look at this just for fun:

$4000 bucks and it's all you'll ever need.

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displ ... um=4994717

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:41 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Lets just revisit the 12 versus 20 issue you raised.

There is no doubt that 20 ammo will cost more than 12, but how much will you shoot in a year? Also, the comments were based on shooting Trap, Sporting Clays and Skeet, but you originally asked about shooting skeet.

If Skeet is all you do, then the 20 may well be the way to go. If you do not want to deal with recoil, the 20 is up to the task of breaking skeet targets - heck they are never over 25 yards away. In fact a 20 will do quite nicely on the Sporting Clays course too. If you relaod, the extra costs of the ammo are moot.

If you go with the 20 and shoot registered skeet, you can enter twice - once in the 12 guage event and one more time in the 20. As you say if you go with a 12 you either have to buy tubes, or go with a second gun...or a 4 barrel set.

Try to shoot as many different guns as you can before buying, that the benefit of going used.

Roger

Phone 813-907-7340
Check out our E-books on Amazon here
http://www.rogergascoigneshootingcoach.com/books.html

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 4:07 pm 
IMHO The Beretta 680 series would suit your needs. I shoot a LOT of skeet and really like the 686 Silver Pigeon with 28 inch bbls. I put Briley sub-gauge tubes in it and it is very soft shooting. The Beretta Onyx,, White Wing, and Black Wing all share the same receiver with different cosmetics. Lots of gun for the money. Good luck!