CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to clean a remington 1100?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

My fathers Remington 1100 12ga was purchased in the early 70's. It has fired thousands of rounds and he has never once cleaned it. The gun has never been apart. It will cycle all loads except light trap loads just fine.

My question is, how do you take it apart to clean it? I figure its due for a good cleaning and the only way it will ever get cleaned is if I clean it myself. Is there instructions some place online that would show a person how to take it apart and how to clean it?

Post subject: Re: How to clean a remington 1100?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A very good tutorial with pics... http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/show ... ge=1&pp=20

Unless something is known to be broken, remove the trigger group and breech bolt to clean, but there's no need to disassemble either. Clean gas ports with a small drill bit held with a pliers, steel wool the mag tube and the steel gas rings, and use a tooth brush to clean the gutted action and trigger group.

Parts are cheap and readily available, almost anything in a Lemon-Hunert is user replaceable, and it's a very easy gun to clean and work on. No excuses for not cleaning 'em after every outing. :wink:

A Sailor's Creed - "If you can't tie good knots, tie lots of 'em.”

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:19 am 
Tournament Grade

I would never dare to take a gun down that far, I would never get it back together right! I stop where the owners manual stops. You can get the manual off of Remington's web site. It's free, you can just print it out.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:24 am 
Field Grade

Pay very close attention to how the gas rings are on the magazine and be sure to put them back the exact same way.

I know it sounds elementary, but they can be tricky and they're a common source of frustration when a newly cleaned 1100 won't cycle.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:43 am 
Tournament Grade

Yeah, it's easy to get them switched around and upside down. I set them down stacked liked they would be on the gun(after I've cleaned them of course).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for the help guys. One more question. do you think after I clean it good that it will cycle light loads? Its a magnum receiver for 3" mag's.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:28 pm 
Limited Edition

Remington has a really cool 3-D section on their website for disassembling and cleaning the 1100. Even I can follow the instructions. If you get mixed up putting the rings back (piston seal, piston and the rubber barrel seal they show it really clearly in 3-D. Check it out:

http://www.remington.com/firearms/3d/1100

Also, if you get your gun apart and have problems, call Remington and they'll help you. They are great and will try to help you. If you want to know anything historical about their guns there is a department staffed by two women who know everything and if not will research it for you.

That said, I do admit I find it hard to believe the gun runs that well without having a cleaning since the 70s.... Not to call you a liar but how can that be?

Yes you have to get the piston and seals back exactly as they come out. I recommend you oil the barrel seal a bit so it doesn't dry out. I know they're cheap but if it goes when you are in the field you will not be happy.
GSPgal
Take a kid hunting.

Last edited by GSPgal on Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:36 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

ProStreetCamaro wrote:
Thanks for the help guys. One more question. do you think after I clean it good that it will cycle light loads? Its a magnum receiver for 3" mag's.

The magnum guns really want heavier loads to cycle reliably. Experiment with some different brands and loads to determine how your gun handles them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:07 pm 
Presentation Grade

ProStreetCamaro wrote:
One more question. do you think after I clean it good that it will cycle light loads? Its a magnum receiver for 3" mag's.

That will depend upon your individual barrel and how light of a load you are thinking of. I have one like yours and it cycles some factory regular hunting loads fine and others are just a little too light.

Haven't tried many because the vast majority of my ammunition is handloaded and that gun is reserved for turkey hunting.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:41 am 
Tournament Grade

GSPgal wrote:
Remington has a really cool 3-D section on their website for disassembling and cleaning the 1100. Even I can follow the instructions. If you get mixed up putting the rings back (piston seal, piston and the rubber barrel seal they show it really clearly in 3-D. Check it out:

http://www.remington.com/firearms/3d/1100

Also, if you get your gun apart and have problems, call Remington and they'll help you. They are great and will try to help you. If you want to know anything historical about their guns there is a department staffed by two women who know everything and if not will research it for you.

That said, I do admit I find it hard to believe the gun runs that well without having a cleaning since the 70s.... Not to call you a liar but how can that be?

Yes you have to get the piston and seals back exactly as they come out. I recommend you oil the barrel seal a bit so it doesn't dry out. I know they're cheap but if it goes when you are in the field you will not be happy.
GSPgal
Take a kid hunting.

I understand what your saying but in all honesty it has never been cleaned and never jams on anything thats high brass. It will jam every time on low brass shot shells. 2 3/4 heavy game loads and 3" mags are flawless in my dads gun. I was thinking that maybe some people on here are way to anal about cleaning there autoloaders. Not that that is a bad thing.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:55 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Hummmm ! 30+ year old gun that has NEVER been cleaned. 3" chamber indicates it is was used for waterfowling.

DO NOT attempt to disassemble! It may simply fall apart when you remove the forearm cap. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

driller wrote:
Hummmm ! 30+ year old gun that has NEVER been cleaned. 3" chamber indicates it is was used for waterfowling.

DO NOT attempt to disassemble! It may simply fall apart when you remove the forearm cap. :lol: :lol: :lol:

This gun was used for everything from doves, squirrels, pheasants, rabbits and deer. I have taken the barrel off many times while switching from regular 30" full choke barrel to the hastings rifled slug barrel. I know that was a joke anyway. The gun is in darn good shape concidering it has been used, abused and put up wet.