CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ithaca hammerless 16Ga side by side
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:36 pm 
Utility Grade

I found a ithaca hammerless 16Ga side by side at a pawn shop. I put it in lay a way for my husband. I told him about it and then did some research on it and found out that Ithaca stopped making side by side's in 1948.? I went back to the pawn shop made a payment and asked to look at the gun one more time. I couldn't find the serial number but the clerk showed me where it was(I couldn't see it with out my glasses--haha) he said the serial number was 848917 and the model number was PAT D. does that sound right? it is in fair to good condition. I paid 199.00 for it. I hope I did good on this one. I think so. any info would help greatly. thanks

Post subject: Re: Ithaca hammerless 16Ga side by side
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:20 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

That's not an Ithaca number. could the first digit be a 3, if so, it's a 1921 Flues model. Like T Bird said, you stole it (if it has good condition), If it is a Flues, you shouldn't shoot modern off the shelf loads.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:22 pm 
Field Grade

Did you wear a mask when you picked it up? If it's what I think it is ...I paid $450.00 for mine. The numbers don't line up though. If it was a an NID you stole it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:05 pm 
Utility Grade

I am going to get it out of lay a way friday the 4th. then I will know the serial number for sure. My husband has been doing some research on ithaca side by sides. he said they didn't know what they had either. we are excited to bring her home !!! :) natty, what do mean by--- not shooting modern of the shelf loads. what do we shoot in it?and where do we get them?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:19 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

The Flues Model Ithacas are numbered from 175,000 to 398,365, They stopped making the Flues in 1926, when they designed a much heavier frame model, called The New Ithaca Double or NID. These guns were numbered from 425,000 to 470,099, If your gun falls in the Flues numbers, you should use loads that produce chamber pressures less than 7,500 PSI, Also it could have a 2 9/16" chamber. Modern 16 gauge shells are 2 3/4".See what the numbers are and post back..Bushrod

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:57 pm 
Utility Grade

Well I got it home and the serial number is "s 348917 F. I didn't notice before but the stock is cracked:(annnnnd the trigger gaurd is missing a piece on the back. thats o.k. we will try to get another stock for it. it is pretty dirty on the outside. what would yall suggest using to clean it with. to make her shine one more time. also we don't know the size of the barrel. it says smokeless powder steel. but no size. How do we figure out what size of shells to get?
thanks a lot for any info

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:00 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

It's a Field Grade Flues Model, made in 1921, It will have a 2 9/16" chamber.. If you're going to shoot it you need to use loads that are under 7,500 psi, I think they are available from Kent and Polywad in 2 1/2" length. Getting another stock will be a problem, Although they made a quarter million Flues Models, it's still hard to find wood, consider a professional repair. Use 0000 steel wool and oil to clean the metal, but keep the oil of the wood.. Bushrod

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:57 pm 
Utility Grade

thanks for you help. we will get it pro. repaired. I found a stevens savage 12ga model 530A today that looks just like it. I was really surprised at how much they look so much alike. Hubby says he will use it for hunting and just repair and put up the Ithaca. we are still very excited to have it :P thanks again.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:19 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

No offense, but the only look alike to you, after you've seen 1000 or so, you can spota lot of difference..the 530 is a workhorse gun that will ast forever, amuch later gun that will take off the shelf loads..But the Ithaca is a much finer gun.. Bushrod

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:23 am 
Utility Grade

no offense taken :P the last time I even seen a double barrel was when I was about 12 and my dad had me shoot it. I didn't know any better and I pulled both triggers one after another. it knock me on my rear and I said thats enough for me :P My whole shoulder was bruised :cry: haha, here it is 30 years later and I'm still afraid to shoot a shotgun. I'm a perfect shot with a 22 and a 357 rifle (no kick) :D I'm going to learn the difference between shotguns :B3 . thanks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:54 pm 
Crown Grade

New wood for the Flues model is actually not very hard to find. I searched and found a couple places that sell it. I had a Flues, and recommend you freshen it up and shoot the heck out of it. They are very light, nimble handling guns. The barrels are thin compared to any other double I have owned, probably contributing to the good handling. I used Polywad Vintagers shells in mine, ordered directly from their website, and delivered to my door. Congratulations!