Shotgun Forum banner

Mossburg O/U or Beretta Auto

3K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  hunter1134 
#1 ·
I am looking for an upland field gun I am planning to start doing a little bird hunting am and trying to figure out should I just use my Beretta 391 or buy one of the Mossburg O/U they seem cheep enough at wally world. I know price shouldn't matter that much but I don't think I want to run the risk of messing up my sporting clays gun and the Mossy is cheep enough I may just roll the dice on it or one of the Beretta 390's . I would be greatful for any feed back on these guns.

#2 ·
stick with the 391. I have one and what makes them so great is how light they are. You do a lot of walking if you do upland game birds so a light weight gun is key. That extra barel on an o/u really adds a lot of weight especially when carrying it through tough terrain. Plus o/u's kick like a mule and you get to do a lot of shooting when bird hunting. So stick with the 391, your arms will thank you.

#4 ·
Deimos End said:
Use the 391. The Mossberg O/U's have very poor quality.
Thanks! Thats good to know, I've been shooting my very poor quality Mossberg 835 for 8 years without a hiccup.

People that make statements like this usually dont know what they are talking about. They will tell you stories that they heard from their cousins friend who had a friend that knew somebody who owned a Mossberg. We've used Mossbergs at work for the past 23 years, no problems there either.

If you want an inexpensive shotgun that works, you will be happy with the Mossberg. If you want the bells and whistles, look elsewhere.

I would purchase a pump over an auto anyday. Autos work, when they work, but to many things are dependant on their operation. Pumps are reliable and ready to go with a flick of the forearm. Don't have to worry about gas ports clogging, spring tension or any of the numerous problems that tend to spring up on you when you NEED that next shot.

Bob

#5 ·
bobshouse, what do you have against auto's. They are like any other gun, if you take care of it, it will take care of you. With a little routine cleaning they will be very reliable. And pumps are not infalable. One of my hunting partners has had to routinely pull out his knife and dig out a shell that did not eject from 870. If you go and buy a cheap auto you are likely to have problems, but the same is true with cheap pumps.
However, you are right in that mossy is a good brand that will last. But so is beretta and benelli.

#6 ·
I have autos. I just posted that because I felt that he shouldnt be knocking Mossbergs without backing up his claim. Like I said, I have never had a failure to fire from my pump. Never seen a police department with automatic shotguns either, should tell you a little about reliability.

Bob

#7 ·
I think the fact that the police use pumps has as much to do with cost effectiveness as it does with reliability. I always see 870's in cop cars which as you know can be bought for as little as 250. Cant find an auto out there for that much.
Still, i am on your side about mossberg. I just take exception to blanket comments about auto's when i have never had a problem with mine nor have any of my hunting partners.

#8 ·
Thank you all for your reply's. I have done a little thinking today and am going to use my 391 this year. Worse case it will give me a good excuse for a new one next year. As far as problems with Auto's I hunted with them growing up and never had a problem with them. On the side of the Police using 870's I have delt with many local and state departments and most of them buy for the bottom dollar Remmington did it with Shotgun's and Glock has done it with Pistol's, and as far as most of the officers I know most don't care what kind of weapon they are issued.

#9 ·
i know what you mean about your babying your sporting clays gun. I got a benelli supersport that works like a dream. It will never see the field. I have a mossy 835, man that think can take a beating. You will enjoy ur time in the field more if you are not constantly woried about your gun. the mossy O/U is not made by them it is made in turkey and imported by mossy, i have heard... mixed reports about them.

#10 ·
Bobshouse said:
Thanks! Thats good to know, I've been shooting my very poor quality Mossberg 835 for 8 years without a hiccup.
Bob
Hey man, don't rip my head off! If you had read my post you would have seen I wasn't dissing the pumps (which seem to be well enough made), I was talking about that Turkish O/U that Mossberg puts their name on (which was what the original poster was asking about!). And I stand by my statement, the Mossberg O/U doesn't have the same quality as similar guns in its price range (the Stoeger Condor and Baikal/Spartan O/U's).

Geez, before you flame me at least read the post!

#11 ·
You shouldn't be talking bad about the quality of Mossberg O/U shotguns. They are very well made and equally well respected throughout the shooting community. Heck, why do you think you see them replacing Beretta, Browning, Kreighoff and Perazzi O/Usat the clubs?

Doug Gordon

#12 ·
ifishbaja said:
You shouldn't be talking bad about the quality of Mossberg O/U shotguns. They are very well made and equally well respected throughout the shooting community. Heck, why do you think you see them replacing Beretta, Browning, Kreighoff and Perazzi O/Usat the clubs?
Yeah, we're seeing lots of 'em at our club. Mostly we paint them white, and drive them in the ground to use as distance stakes and out-of-bounds markers. :wink:

R-E-L-A-X.... Don't bust a blood vessel. Just kidding. :mrgreen:

#14 ·
Junior,

You cannot go wrong with either the Browning or the Beretta, fine guns, both. However, have you looked at the Diamond at Dicks? It is imported by Benelli and made by Franchi, two well respected names. It is said to be a less fancy version of the Franci Veloci and would be a real bargain at $800.

Just a thought.

Frank

#15 ·
Frank we don't have a Dick's sporting goods around here. The gun will probably be bought at Gamaliel Shooting Supply they have always been good to deal with but they don't even cary Franchi I have looked because I had an auto that I loved but sold it along time ago when I quit hunting.

#16 ·
Bobshouse said:
Deimos End said:
Use the 391. The Mossberg O/U's have very poor quality.

People that make statements like this usually dont know what they are talking about. They will tell you stories that they heard from their cousins friend who had a friend that knew somebody who owned a Mossberg. We've used Mossbergs at work for the past 23 years, no problems there either.

If you want an inexpensive shotgun that works, you will be happy with the Mossberg. If you want the bells and whistles, look elsewhere.

I would purchase a pump over an auto anyday. Autos work, when they work, but to many things are dependant on their operation. Pumps are reliable and ready to go with a flick of the forearm. Don't have to worry about gas ports clogging, spring tension or any of the numerous problems that tend to spring up on you when you NEED that next shot.

Bob
bob, i can assure you that the mossberg o/u isnt worth its salt. basically a khan arthemis, the silver reserve is not worth the $487? walmart has them marked for. fair fit and finish for the price, but the metal is extremely soft.

i would agree, though, that the 835 is a good, reliable gun. the mossberg autos even have a good reputation as far as i know.

junior, if you are looking for a well built, lightweight, inexpensive o/u, i strongly recomend the yildiz. academy sells them for $386

#17 ·
ifishbaja said:

Doug Gordon
WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? HA, i challenge you to ask one of the resident experts to back you up

#19 ·
driver36001 said:
ifishbaja said:

Doug Gordon
WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? HA, i challenge you to ask one of the resident experts to back you up
Relax, he was being sarcastic. Obvious sarcasm isn't always so obvious on the internet.

#20 ·
In regards to the original question, I would go w/ the 391 Beretta for several reasons. IMO there is not a better semi-auto on the market, if you ever want to trade out of the gun you'll get better resale value from the Beretta & most importantly I believe the 391 to be a higher quality gun.

#21 ·
I have a browning citori 525 field 26" for upland birds and range play, because it fits me well and shoulders every time. But, like Bobhouse, I am a pump fan, and the Mossberg 500 is my favorite. Pumps are just darn fun!! Here's a little news: The Marines are using Mossbergs in Iraq, and from what I've heard, the Mossy's have been performing very well (used to clear buildings), unlike their M16's, SAW's and 9mm beretta pistols which are bouncing off the cinderblock walls, and jamming from the dirt and dust. So, I agree with Bobhouse that the Mossberg is a good quality gun. And as an ex cop, I confirm the use of 870's in the car. But, over the years, agencies have also used Winchester, Mossberg and Ithaca. That being said, many So. Cal agencies are now going to the Benelli auto's. I am envious of you guys with so many store options. California is trying to squeeze gun ownership out of existence. Happy gunning guys!

#22 ·
In regards to the original question, I would go w/ the 391 Beretta for several reasons. IMO there is not a better semi-auto on the market, if you ever want to trade out of the gun you'll get better resale value from the Beretta & most importantly I believe the 391 to be a higher quality gun.
obx351 I may have been a little unclear in my first post I already have a 391. I was just looking for a gun I wouldn't mind if it got scuffed up thats why I was looking at the Beretta plastic gun.

#23 ·
Well the final decision has finally been made. I wound up buying neither of the original guns I looked at. I bought a Ruger Red Label O/U with 26" ported barrels used. I haven't got to shoot it yet but it sure does feel good. It's not quite as light as my old Franchi model 48 with 24" barrel but I think I can manage. Thank you all for your input and help. My purchase was nothing against the Mossburg but the Ruger was a better value in my opinion.

#24 ·
WingMaster said:
driver36001 said:
ifishbaja said:

Doug Gordon
Relax, he was being sarcastic. Obvious sarcasm isn't always so obvious on the internet.
my bad, that one just caught me off guard 8)

#25 ·
Bobshouse said:
I have autos. I just posted that because I felt that he shouldnt be knocking Mossbergs without backing up his claim. Like I said, I have never had a failure to fire from my pump. Never seen a police department with automatic shotguns either, should tell you a little about reliability.

Bob
Keep in mind the versatility needed in a law enforcement shotgun for less lethal rounds. While I may very well be behind the curve, I am not aware of a semi auto that will cycle less lethal rounds.

#26 ·
Congrats on the new o/u.
After wrapping up a weekend with quail and pheasant, with a new Browning Gold, I have to admit that I went back to my o/u after noon on the first day.
The hunting was better than I expected and things got fast and furious several times.
If I do miss, I can reload my o/u so much quicker.
Plus, you do have different chokes for the different distances, they can be safer (when broke open around the truck, visiting, etc) and you don't 'waste' the third shell!!!
The o/u was made for upland!
8)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.