CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New London Arms
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:17 pm 
Utility Grade

I have recently inherited a New London Arms 12ga side by side from my grandfather in Freedom, OK. I have been researching the origins of this gun and have come up with little or no information. I did however find that the company closed in 1926. The side of the action has New London Arms Co. stamped on it; the barrel has London Fluid Steel on the top between the two barrels; the serial numbers on the action, barrel, and forearm all match; patent numbers/dates Nov 25 '90 March 17 '91. I presume that the '90 and '91 refer to 1890 and 1891. I have shot the gun, but have decided to send it to a gunsmith for at least a good cleaning. Everything appears to be in good condition for the age, but I'm sure the mechanical workings are in need of attention. What else should I have my gunsmith look at on the gun? Does anyone have any information on this company? I would greatly appreciate any leads! Thank you,
Joe Zaloudek

Post subject: Re: New London Arms
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:38 pm 
Field Grade

"New London Arms Co. was not a maker, rather it is a trade brand.
From the patent dates, your gun was made by either the Forehand & Wadsworth Arms Co.; it successor Forehand Arms Co. or by the Hopkins & Allen Arms Co. (who acquired Forehand in 1901. In any event it was made sometime prior to 1916.