CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winchester 1400 disassembly help
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:15 am 
Utility Grade

Hi all. Anyone know where I can find instructions online to disassemble a 1400 for a good cleaning? I would hate to tear it down only to wind up taking it to a smith for reassembly. :shock: Sure would appreciate any help. Dan

Post subject: Re: Winchester 1400 disassembly help
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:50 am 
Field Grade

If you go to the Winchester web site and click on services it will allow you to scroll through a list of services. Click on Winchester owners manuals and it will bring up a list of available manuals. Your 1400 isn't listed in the current or historic manuals available online, however to the right of this list you can click on the online order form and your 1400 is listed. Fill out the form and they will mail you one in 3-4 weeks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:30 am 
Diamond Grade

That’s it. I can’t stand it any longer, isn’t there anyone over there in America who can take one of these guns apart. I will now attempt to explain the procedure, but first I will just confirm we are talking about the same gun. A Winchester 1400 or 1500 12b 3 shot semi auto. If that’s the case I will cast my mind back 10 yrs and explain. If I have made a mistake please correct me.
Take off the forend and barrel, then take out the trigger group.
With the gun butt down on a table or bench with mag tube vertical put a screwdriver in the spring just below the piston and press the spring down towards the receiver.
With the other hand round the mag tube push on the action bar to push the pin out of the piston, if it won’t move prize with a screwdriver gently, it’s only the spring pressure that holds the pin in.
Let go of the action bar and put free hand over the end of tube and release pressure on screwdriver till it is free then with care take out piston and spring remembering which way in the piston goes.
Put action bar aside and turn gun upside down, if the cocking handle and plate are held in by a small screw remove screw then with thumb and forefinger press in the firing pin slightly and twist cocking handle forward till rear of plate is clear of firing pin.
The plate can now be removed from the ejection port with a bit of fiddling around.
The bolt will now slide out of front of receiver.
If there is no screw it is the later type so just press in the firing pin.
All that is left is the ejector spring that is held in by a pin at the back of the receiver. On later models it is held in by a small clip and screw at the front that needs a jewellers crosshead screwdriver.
Assembly is reverse order

I hope I have this right and author accepts no responsibility for errors

dave

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:46 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the info. Will give it a shot this weekend when I get back from Broken Bow,Ok. Will post if I run into a problem that requires international resolution :B3
Thanks again Dan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:48 pm 
Field Grade

With todays shells the powder and the primer are clean burning and with no residue left after firing. I am
not sure about the gas system on auto's though. But I will say this my Marlin 22 has never been cleaned and it is a semi auto rifle. I do oil the bolt and slide and the barrel however.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Check out youtube.
Here is the disassembly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QelRk2as1p8
Here is the reassembly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av51NIugG00
Mark

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

DooDad wrote:
Hi all. Anyone know where I can find instructions online to disassemble a 1400 for a good cleaning? I would hate to tear it down only to wind up taking it to a smith for reassembly. :shock: Sure would appreciate any help. Dan

I've taken my 1400 completely apart to clean before. One word of advice:
Do Not Take The Trigger Assembly Apart!
Just pull it out and soak it in some solvent then blow it out and let it dry. If you disassemble the trigger mechanism getting it to ever work properly is hard, it is not worth it.
Otherwise they are not complicated guns and easy to take down. Putting the bolt back in took me some finagling but that was about it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

PM sent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

windowasher wrote:
PM sent

You do realize that the original post was made over 8 years ago. :) Mark

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:25 pm 
Presentation Grade

What's 8 years when you have a Win 1400.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Do they last that long?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

SuperXOne wrote:
Do they last that long?

They sure do.
I know they are much maligned but I bought mine around 1972 and it still shoots fine. It has been underwater, it handled a 3 inch slug by mistake once and I have killed a variety of game; squirrels, doves, rabbits, geese, ducks and one whitetail doe with it. I never cared for the pressed checkering stock and forearm so I replaced it with black plastic and now I keep it for home protection and only fire it a few times a year. Only problem I ever had was when I took the trigger assembly completely apart to clean it. I had to take it to a gunsmith to get it functioning again but that was my fault, not the gun's.