CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bird shot through a rifled slug barrell !!!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:06 am 
Utility Grade

I've got a Winchester 12 guage with a 28 inch shotgun barrell and a shorter rifled slug barrell with sights. I was told that I could shoot regular "bird" shot through it. Was told it would be good for rabbit hunting, I don't think I can , what do you guys think ?

Post subject: Re: Bird shot through a rifled slug barrell !!!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:12 am 
Crown Grade

well ur not gonna get a tight pattern cuz the centrifucal force from the spinning shot colum will make u get lots of "flyer shots"

other than that it is safe to shoot and u wont mess up the barrel but ur gonna get horrible patterns

DCx2 Acta Est Fabula

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:18 am 
Utility Grade

Will it be any good for shooting running bunnies in the brush I wonder or should I keep useing the 28 inch barrell ?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:24 am 
Crown Grade

i say stick with the 28" barrel cuz u will get a tighter pattern but yea the rifle barred will work fine on running rabbits but dont expect to hit em if they get too far from u cuz ur not going to get good patterns

DCx2 Acta Est Fabula

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:36 am 
Presentation Grade

Stick with the 28" barrel. I tested a rifled barrel with birdshot once before. Fired 1 1/8 oz. #6 lead out of an fully rifled Rem 1100 12ga and the pattern was approx. 5 feet in diameter at 40 feet :shock:. Kinda funny. I kept putting bigger and bigger sheets of butcher paper up until I could see the edges of the pattern.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:11 am 
Diamond Grade

If the barrel is for shooting rifled slugs, it will be a smoothbore barrel, and it will be ideal for shooting birdshot at rabbits at close range (<30 yds).

If it is a RIFLED barrel (for shooting saboted slugs), you will get a uselessly wide pattern because, as others have said, the rifling will spin the shot cup and fling the shot everywhere as soon as it leaves the barrel.

BTW, barrel length has nothing to do with pattern density. A 28" barrel choked IC and an 18" barrel choked IC will both print the same pattern at a given distance.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:40 pm 
Crown Grade

Yes you can shoot shot through your rifled barrel but don't waste your time and money. They won't pattern for beans as posted above. Tried it too.. a waste of shotshells

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:21 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

If you shoot shot shells through the rifled barrel you will ruin the barrel for shooting sabots unless you are willing to spend alot of time scrubbing the lead out of the rifling after each use. The pattern of a rifled barrel will look like a doghnut with a hole where you want the shot to be. It is a bad idea all around.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:43 am 
Limited Edition

Last year while duck hunting, one of the chaps in the blind told me a story about his father taking a novice (young boy) duck hunting....the kid couldn't hit anything, so my friend's father took the gun and shot it into the water to look at the pattern....it was 25' wide at 25 yards....that's when he noticed that it was a rifled slug barrel.....I laughed so hard, I almost fell out of the boat. :lol: :lol: