CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Franchi Aristocrat
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:42 am 
Presentation Grade

Does anyone know anything about an older Franchi O/U called the aristocrat? I saw one for sale locally but don't know anything about them. The price seemed decent, and it was in good shape but just wondering if there was any info out there.

Post subject: Re: Franchi Aristocrat
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:26 am 
Utility Grade

I have an Aristocat Silver King. Nice looking gun, but, check out the forend very closely. My brother bought this gun at a garage sale and the original forend had split and was missing a big chunk behind the latch. He sent it to Toronto and had the forend replaced and also had a firing pin fixed. I bought it and shot it for a while before the new forend also broke behind the latch. I have had a gunsmith repair it twice and still it breaks. It has fibreglass tape wrapped around the back of the forend now. Looks like hell but it holds! The brother also had a friend hand make a forend and it split behind the latch as well!!!!. If I ever do anything more with it, I may try having a forend made out of laminate as this should be stronger.
Also I noticed that the barrel selector worked when the safety was either on or off. One day shooting some clays I was playing with this feature and discoverd that if you switched barrels with the safety off, then it fired both barrels at once. This is when the replacement stock split. My local gunsmith looked at it and about 50% of the time it will double if you switch barrels with the safety off.
I only shoot light loads in it now. Bought a used Browning Superposed this year to use instead. Franchi will be a back-up gun.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:52 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a 1963 Franchi Aristocrat and the rear of the forend on mine also split. I took and installed a brass screw n pin which I countersunk across the rear of the forend. It is a very thin pin that the brass ends are barely visible on either side and look as if they were meant to be there. No more spiltting

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

In 2011, I purchased a new 12 ga Aristocrat. At this time it has had over 7000 rounds through it and have had absolutely no problems with it at all. Well, that isn`t entirely correct, I am still trying to get all the "misses" out of it.