CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Savage 410 Bolt Action
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:22 am 
Tournament Grade

My father in-law gave my 12 year old son his model 59-B 410 shotgun. I have heard stories about damascus barrels in older guns, would this be one of them? and what does this mean? He said it was his fathers gun so I assume it is quite old. It is in nice shape and seems in good working condition. The barrel says Stevens/Savage 59 B. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Savage 410 Bolt Action
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:45 am 

econdave,

You should be safe shooting that gun. Does not have damascus steel barrel. Just to be certain of the condition of the gun, stop by a local gunsmith and let him look it over to give you a thumbs up. If the gun should ever need parts, here is a diagram and parts list: http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=089Zz59B

Welcome to Shotgunworld!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:07 pm 
Tournament Grade

wow, what a great site. Thank you for your help

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Oddly enough, an elderly neighbor just gave me one of these. How does one remove the bolt? All of my other bolt guns... open the bolt, pull the trigger, slide the bolt out. That doesn't work on this gun.

Any advice?

PS: I also tried pushing the trigegr forward... that didn't work. No external catch ala Rem 700.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:07 pm 
Diamond Grade

push the safety lever to farthest fire position,sqeeze the trigger and it should come out. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:10 pm 
Crown Grade

Most of these little guns, that I've had, have been real shooters. One thing to watch for is the extractor breaking. If it has the clip over type,then its pretty simple to repair if broken.

HWD

My Marine kicked cancer's a$$!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'm a little late in getting back to this thread, but I figured out how to get the bolt out...

There was a screw in the side of receiver that needed to be backed out, then the bolt could be removed in the traditional manner. The screw was right at the beltline on the stock, and the bolt was milled for it, so I doubt it was a modification.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:07 pm 
Field Grade

huntswithdogs wrote:
Most of these little guns, that I've had, have been real shooters. One thing to watch for is the extractor breaking. If it has the clip over type,then its pretty simple to repair if broken.

HWD

I replaced them both on mine this year. I only shoot it for new little puppies. My father used to require that it be carried with the bolt up so we wouldn shoot anyone - or any birds for that matter.