CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 9mm Shotgun??
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:30 am 
Utility Grade

Hello,

I wanted to gather some opinions on this kind of small shotgun, the 9mm flobert. Lat weekend, I was shooting one that a cousin of mine owned, and I was really impressed. I shot this large pigeon, about 15 yards away up on a tree with a number 6 fiocchi load. The bird came down stone dead.

I wanted to know if this was the case consistantly, or was that shot just a fluke. Ive been to our local gun store, and he had one gun of those, a beautiful italian break action. I wanted to know if this is really worth the buy, considering that I will not be shooting at anything larger than doves or quail at any more than 20 yards. Ammo is also dirty cheap.

P.S: another question, does anyone know any other manufacturer of this cartridge other than fiocchi?

Thanks alot

Post subject: Re: 9mm Shotgun??
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:54 am 
Crown Grade

Good morning "Flobert": The 9mm shotgun has been around for a long time. Winchester first came out with the Md 36 in 1920. These were known as "Garden guns" and meant for short range shooting.

As far as I know Fiochhi is the only one who still makes this round. The gun is ideal for gophers, moles, snakes, and small birds. I do not own a 9mm but my guess is 15 to 20 yards would be the maximum effective range on this small round.

As with any shotgun, barrel length and choke play a important part to it's range. I do not know about the Italian made gun you speak of.

Regards Dave

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:32 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

I have a SxS 9mm that shoots the Flobert round. The max range on pigeon and rabbit size game is,like Dave said,about 20 yards. Alcan used to make ammo for them. It was an all brass case and they used a special Alcan primer. I had a friend drill the primer cup to fit a large rifle primer and he still reloads the all bra cases for our guns. His is a SxS Greener and mine is a LeMadion. Both guns are hammer sidelock SxSs.

Today,I believe that Fiochhi is the only company loading the round. You could have RMC make up some all brass cases for you,however.

Have fun with your garden gun. Mine is deadly on gophers and even crows at close ranges.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:33 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I know practically nothing about a 9mm shotgun, but I do know that 9mm is smaller than the .410 shotgun. Therefore, I would probably choose a good air-rifle over a 9mm shotgun.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:42 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks guys for the replies. :) Winchesters, AFAIK these shotguns dont have chokes(?), and the issue of barrel length is the most controversial ive seen in the shotgun world, but it is good to say that the one I will hopefully buy has a 28" barrel, which is my favourite length on shotguns. My issue of greatest concern is that fiocchi might stop producing this nice little cartridge, which means I must resolve to reloading somehow, while my reloading skill are non-existant.

A5guy, the thing that I mostly like about these guns is that they're light, quiet and pack a good punch on small birds. Im interested to see that you included rabbits to the list. My cousin's gun is a french made bolt-action, but I find that the break action suits me best. Would love to see how your guns look like, and especially the Md 36.

Ulysses, wait till you experience one. I'd choose an old, rusty, single shot 9mm over the best airgun out there (and ive used alot of those), and in certain situations, over the .410, which beats the 9mm only by the 2" load (i dont like magnum loads on the .410).

One last question, has anyone tried shooting flying targets with one of these, and succesfully killed it?

Once again, thanks.

Post subject: re: 9mm Shotgun??
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:23 pm 
Utility Grade

I know this is an old post but I just aquired a Kimar Italian made 9mm single, break barrel shotgun. It really is good fun, only downside seems to be the fiocchi ammo which is very dirty for the gun to shoot. Anyone else make the 9mm ammo?

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Norti-- I've looked for other manufacturers. Many have made it over the years, and you may get lucky and find some old stock somewhere, but Fiocchi seems to be the only one making it now.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:01 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the reply. Fiocchi is easy to get hold of, but seems to lay some serious muck down the tube, Stick with what I can find then.BTW Nice Dog!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:33 pm 
Utility Grade

I know this is a long-dead topic (sorry!) but Umarex makes 9mm Flobert cartridges, too. They're... Somewhat cleaner than the Fiocchi. Somewhat.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:49 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:36 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The Brits made some as butterfly guns....using dust shot to stun the butterflys(for collectors).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:44 pm 
Utility Grade

I am aware that the above topic is ancient,however a bit more info is always good. I consider the 9mm shotgun an excellent gun.In Southern Europe the phrase "Kettle Gun"has been coined as it can keep your kettle full,if required. Even though this gun is very little known in the USA,in Europe it is very popular, and one can be found in most households,as in the States one finds the.22cal. I've been hunting with mine since age 17 and I can assure you it is very efficient,and lives up to its name. It is a great varmint gun, and with the slugs ,you can deal with fox and jackals easily. The shot shell is effective on birds uptoabout 20meters and if you have a long barrel you can get a wing shot up to about 30 m,with a bit of luck.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:35 pm 
Utility Grade

This thing is useless on fox and jackals. It is for small birds pigeons and squirrles at close range. For someone to use a 9mm shotshell on dog sized animals you are either stupid or sick, to like causing suffering to an animal?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:55 am 
Diamond Grade

Keep It Friendly...Might Apply to YOU

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=85442

Just saying...

Last edited by DeGriz on Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:44 am 
Diamond Grade

The fox was mentioned in connection to 9mm slugs, not shot.

The 9mm slug is an iffy situation. Some have no powder, propelling a 0.32 caliber ball or conical slug with the primer only. Some contain powder and can be fairly potent, penetrating both sides of a 55 gallon drum at 50 meters.

Gevelot used to make decent , clean burning 9mm cartridges. They were the upmarket choice when I used the caliber.

When the prices of the Fiocchi reached the price of 20g shells the 9mm was given to a friend who liked its rakish looks.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:45 pm 
Utility Grade

Thank you for your courtesy Shotgunguru. It is sad to see rash comments from people who may lack experience on a particular subject. I have taken a jackal in the mountains of Greece with a single shot many years ago . Truly the use of proper ammo is imperative. In this case I used a conical slug.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:12 am 
Crown Grade

Nortimax wrote:
This thing is useless on fox and jackals. It is for small birds pigeons and squirrles at close range. For someone to use a 9mm shotshell on dog sized animals you are either stupid or sick, to like causing suffering to an animal?

The next time I shoot a jackal I'll be sure to use something with more poop. Just hate to see jackals flopping around after being flobereted. Oh the humanity.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:13 am 
Crown Grade

SS wrote:
Nortimax wrote:

The next time I shoot a jackal I'll be sure to use something with more poop. Just hate to see jackals flopping around after being flobereted. Oh the humanity.

I've shot a lot of animals in my time, and believe they should be dispatched cleanly. A jackal or a coyote deserves no less.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:00 am 
Field Grade

I have had a couple of 9mm rimfire shotguns over the years, they are great little shotguns for shooting rats. I once reloaded a couple of shells will round lead balls and I was surprised at the penetration on pine boards but the shotshells with small shot are not the best for flying game or rabbits.
At one time you could get paper & brass shells that were designed to disintegrate on firing, leaving the brass to eject from a bolt action garden gun.
Old Webley & Scott 9mm bolt actions are quite expensive now compared to when I used to use them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:18 am 
Crown Grade

Ulysses wrote:
I know practically nothing about a 9mm shotgun, but I do know that 9mm is smaller than the .410 shotgun. Therefore, I would probably choose a good air-rifle over a 9mm shotgun.

And go even TINIER down to .177?

That doesn't make any sense

"Support our troops; we'll need them to overthrow our government"