CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Buying a shotgun in CT
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:37 pm 
Utility Grade

I know all I need to do is fill out a form and wait 2 weeks to buy a shotgun in CT. Is there a disadvantage to having my brother buy it for me with is pistol permit, so I don't have to wait the 2 weeks?

Post subject: Re: Buying a shotgun in CT
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:47 am 
Utility Grade

Just went through this myself. If you have your brother purchase the gun, you should wait a few weeks, the fill out the DPS 3C form. You can get it online at the Dept of Public Safety Web site. In the authorization box, put voluntary. You need 4 copies, 1 for you, 1 for your brother, one for the local police in your brothers town, and one for DPS. Although technically, on private sales, you don't have to register, they do ask that you voluntarily do. Got this straight from the State Police. If you have questions, call the DPS. They were very helpfull.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You're right, technically private sales/gifts of long arms in Connecticut don't require you to notify the state police. IMHO, you're better off waiting the two weeks. Buying shotguns is so much of a hassle in Connecticut that I bring my business to a neighboring state.

There is no such thing as hard targets, only targets above our ability. -- Jimmy Muller

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

As far as I know your brother can buy a shotgun and give it to you as a gift but buying a gun for someone else is called a straw purchase and is against the law (there are way too many lawyers around). I'm pretty sure you can still buy a long gun without the wait with a hunting license.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:50 pm 
Field Grade

Straw purchases are illegal if the buyer purchases a firearm and knowingly or negligently transfers it to anyone who is barred from owning or possessing a firearm as far as I know. So now if you are mentally competent and are not a felon or are conspiring to commit a crime with the firearm the transfer would be legal. Heck come to PA took me 5 minutes to finish the 1 page background check. That was my first firearm purchase but not the first gun that I owned. First one was given to me as a gift by a not so close family friend but my father consented. I lived in CT but never bought a firearm so I dont have any experience with the control laws there but I did research them and thats what I came up with.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:00 pm 
Field Grade

I have bought multiple long guns and never had to wait. I know that there is a waiting period for handguns, but not for long guns. They do the background check right on the spot.

If you are not crazy, a criminal and you are not going looking for trouble, then you can have your brother buy the gun and he can lend it to you for a while before you buy it from him.

You are not required to register the sale in CT between private persons who both reside in CT.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:21 pm 
Presentation Grade

A CT hunting license + a clean NCIS check = no wait for a shotgun in CT.