CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 18 inch barrel for Remington 870 express prices anyone know?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:40 pm 
Presentation Grade

Whats the most I should pay for a 18 inch bbl for Home defence?

I would like to buy it brand new but if I find a used one what whould I inspect on it?

Is there a certain brand/type of a barrel used for HD?

Post subject: Re: 18 inch barrel for Remington 870 express prices anyone k
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:47 pm 
Diamond Grade

I'd make sure to inspect the magazine cap detent pin on the barrel lug on the used bbls to ensire it is not rusted or stuck down in the hole. The rest is cosmetic/rust issues.

A nice used bbl might go for anywhere between $80-$120 on ebay for fixed choke bbls and maybe less on the 18" matte finish one since it is common. The remchoke bbls cost more..especially the blued ones.

Another idea I'm mulling around is to cut down a 28-30 inch barrel since those usually have a vent rib. The ribs could be cut at exactly 21 inches on one remington bbl I have without cutting in betwen the ribs. The additional expense of putting in screw in chokes and a new bead would more than likely be what I'd finish it with.

SnaKeYes 870 with homeade bbl- that's what i want to make next.
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=63927

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:16 am 
Presentation Grade

what is the reccomended HD barrel for the 870 HD?

what choke to use if your even suppost to use a choke in it for HD?

what sights do I get on it for HD?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:33 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If your definition of HD use is something to keep in the closet just in case then don't worry about choke or sights. Many used police riot barrels either 18 or 20 inch can be found. Old plain barrels can sometimes be found cheap and could easily be shortened and a bead added. Mossberg sells a very attractive price line of short 870 barrels in the $100 range and some have rifle sights if that fits your requirement. Having a barrel with screw in chokes, jugged chokes, factory chokes or whatever is not going to make any difference at bedroom distance, but could give you more range outside of the house. Deer barrels made by Remington and others for the 870 would also do well for and HD set up. Most of them are 20 inch or longer with sights

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:40 am 
Field Grade

I bought a Remington NIB 18" cylinder bore matte finished barrel with a bead sight on e-bay for $130 about a month ago. It seemed a fair price to me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:43 pm 
Crown Grade

Remington's website list new #242243 870 BBL 12/18 IC BS PK (FIXED I/C NO CHOKE TUBE) $96.40

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:52 am 
Field Grade

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/prod ... FP11386TT1

That's the barrel I put on my old beater Remington 870. It's 18.5", open choke, blued, $90.47. Sure, it's Mossberg brand name, but it's made for Remington 870 specifically. You won't find a brand new Remington barrel for that cheap! It worked great for me, at least until I could buy something better.

mike100: Hands off my shotgun! :P

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:50 am 
Limited Edition

Mike 100, It can be done. I have a 21" barrel for a Mossy500 that is marked 28" moified choke and has choke tubes and a bead. All it takes is time effort or money. It all depends on how bad you want what you want!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:31 am 
Presentation Grade

I am a newbie to this whole shotgun scene so please bare with me.
Can I use a 18 inch barrel for clay target shooting and home defence? Is this pointless? do people do this??

My point being is I just dont want to spend $100+ on a barrel that is only going to be used only for Home defence and thats it.

Would I want the 18 inch that takes chokes for this type of use?

I do want it to be good quality and new. Where is the cheapest place to buy it at?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:40 am 
Limited Edition

At the local Gander mountain, the Gunsmith said he sells them for $50. Im just waiting for them to get in stock. You might have to wait a few weeks.

Like I've said before after the first shot it's just about how much more hamburger you want to make. - Dirtyeddie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:38 pm 
Diamond Grade

The 18" cyl bore barrels (that's the choke or the constriction- in this case cylinder bore means no choke or a straight tube) spread shot wide and are meant for close up indoor shot or maybe shots at about 15-20 yds if you don't mind all of the pellets not hitting the target.

The police models have a small constriction built into it and are called Improved Cylinder or IC. this helps a bit on the short barrels.

So yes, that's about all the home defense barrels are good for. You will not have much fun shooting at cans or clays at a range. You'll probably miss just about all the birds becasue the shot isn't concentrated enough to break one at distance.

Now, you could do what I did and spend money. I had a gunsmith tap my barrel for screw in chokes. That was $75 plus I bought the fancy style extended chokes you can tighten by hand. So about $120 later, I have a short barrelled SG that I can use for longer shots and can fine tune with different chokes. The most constriction is called FULL and the middle of the road is called MODIFIED. see it here:http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=63529

Now you could also buy specialty law enforment style ammo to gain extra distance without extreme spread and I did have a big post with pics on that subject (Federal Tactical Buckshot) that has been bumped off the first page. You should look at that because it has everything to do with the limitation of a short barrelled SG.

So the way I see it is you need to get a long barreled SG with chokes or a MOD tube (cheapest), one with chokes like a police winchester/FN, or get used to the idea of spending a bit more than you wanted to and make your own extra barrel.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:05 am 
Presentation Grade

Thanks mike for explaining, and that goes for everyone that responded. Thanks

Post subject: Sawing Off A 26" bble to 18.5" What Choke Do I End Up With?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:11 pm 
Utility Grade

If I have my 26" Impr Cyl bbl cut down to 18.5 "'s what Choke equivalent would it then be?
Or, do I have to have some form of a Choke installed ... I hope not as I will just stick it in a Closet and hope like Hell I never have to use it for that HD purpose .

I have a brand new Remington Wingmaster bbl for the Gun , for Hunting etc so when not used with that bbl I thought I'd mount the old Bbl on it, cut down to 18.5"
Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:45 pm 
Diamond Grade

dasanii19 wrote:
I am a newbie to this whole shotgun scene so please bare with me.

Huh? You've been a member since 2005 and have over 850 posts. What have you been talking about if not shotguns?? :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:50 pm 
Diamond Grade

mike100 wrote:
A nice used bbl might go for anywhere between $80-$120 on ebay..........

You can't buy/sell barrels on Ebay. You musta been thinkin about Gunbroker. Go to Gunbroker.com and from the menue on the left hand side click on shotgun in Firearm parts section. Once there, click on barrels and do a search for Remington 870.

Post subject: Re: Sawing Off A 26" bble to 18.5" What Choke Do I End Up With?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:05 pm 
Utility Grade

ctkenc wrote:
If I have my 26" Impr Cyl bbl cut down to 18.5 "'s what Choke equivalent would it then be?
Or, do I have to have some form of a Choke installed ... I hope not as I will just stick it in a Closet and hope like Hell I never have to use it for that HD purpose .

I have a brand new Remington Wingmaster bbl for the Gun , for Hunting etc so when not used with that bbl I thought I'd mount the old Bbl on it, cut down to 18.5"
Thanks

I'm "guessing" that if it was "Impr Cyl" at 26"'s, it won't be much diiferent at 18". right ?

Post subject: Re: 18 inch barrel for Remington 870 express prices anyone know?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Austin, this is a zombie post from 2005. You could buy and sell barrels on ebay back then. When I first started using ebay you could actually buy and sell guns.

ctkenc, regardless of how your barrel is choked at 26", if you cut it off it will be cylinder bore (no choke at all) which is fine for home defense. I hope that rather than throwing it in the closet and hoping not to use it that you will train with it and become familiar with it in a variety of circumstances. If you end up having to use it and you have not been training with it bad things will happen.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:55 pm 
Utility Grade

sjohnny wrote:
Austin, this is a zombie post from 2005. You could buy and sell barrels on ebay back then. When I first started using ebay you could actually buy and sell guns.

ctkenc, regardless of how your barrel is choked at 26", if you cut it off it will be cylinder bore (no choke at all) which is fine for home defense. I hope that rather than throwing it in the closet and hoping not to use it that you will train with it and become familiar with it in a variety of circumstances. If you end up having to use it and you have not been training with it bad things will happen.

Thanks Johnny,
yes, I will train with it ... in fact, our Club has one or two events a year in which I can use it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:58 pm 
Diamond Grade

sjohnny wrote:
Austin, this is a zombie post from 2005.

True, but I was just getting around to it. :wink:
Guess I gotta pay more attention to the dates on the posts.