CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington Model 11-48
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:19 am 
Utility Grade

I recently purchased a Remington Model 11-48 12 Gauge Semi Automatic Shotgun from a local gundealer and paid $250 dollars for it. I was wondering if anyone could tell me where I can find some information about this particular gun including the value of it. Basically I was wondering if I got ripped off. :?:

Post subject: Re: Remington Model 11-48
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:45 am 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Obviously they are worth $250! :roll: At least one was! No, you didn't get ripped off. You didn't "steal" it either, but if it is in better than fair condition, you got what you paid for. Actually, they are pretty good old shotguns!

BP

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:08 am 
Crown Grade

Used one for 12 years (or more), good solid shotgun of browning design. Email Remington to get a owners manual!
:arrow: $250 a good price if in decent shape.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:01 am 
Limited Edition

I have one in my safe I haven't shot for several years. My dad bought it new many, many years ago. I shot some quail and grouse with it when I was a teenager and never had any problem with it. The last couple times I shot it, it kicked like a mule. I have never shot anything in my life that punished me that bad. I am going to take it to a gunsmith one of these days and let him go though it. Definitely one I want to hand on to one of my kids. It is in very good condition, other than the recoil part.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:07 am 

All good responses here. BP was correct when he said you did not get ripped off, but not a steal either.
I have two 48s in 12 Ga. and one in 16. They are reliable but kick harder than gas auto loaders. If it does not have a recoil pad, you may want to use a Limbsaver slip on, if existing pad is hardened, then have it fitted for a Pachmayer Decelerator or Limbsaver.
Enjoy your shotgun (safely & responsibly).

Welcome to Shotgunworld!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:32 am 

I post this quote almost everytime I see an inquiry about an 11-48.

Quote from Patrick Sweeney's book
"Gunsmithing: Shotguns"

Quote:
The Remington 11-48 is a blend of old and new. While it is a long recoil action right out of the Browning mold, it comes apart with 2 drift pins and no screws. Just like it's ancestor
(the A-5), the 11-48 is durable to a fault, and you may see an 11-48 from time to time until we don't own self loading guns any more.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:17 am 
Utility Grade

I also have a Remmington Mod 11, mine is a 20 ga and was my first duck gun. My dad won it in a raffel in 1949 or so. He won it the year I was born. Still serviceable with a 28" mod barrel.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:40 am 
Tournament Grade

I've got my dad's that he bought new in '54. His dad owned it for a while until he gave it back to my dad. I shot my first 25 straight at trap with it. Now my 19 year old daughter uses it.

Here's some info from Remington:
http://www.remington.com/library/histor ... _11-48.asp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:55 pm 
Presentation Grade

I am very suspicious of some comments about hard recoil on 11-48. I also own one of these in twenty guage.
Clean and polish tube with 0000 steel wool, clean brass friction piece and check it closely for wear, (you may need a new one, it is different than M11 or A-5 to tell how worn). Do not oil, if you are shooting heavy loads, try first, (with heavy loads, just wipe with oily cloth, Browning oil, if action dont cycle). Usually with light loads, very little oil works very well. I think A-5Guy or Jeff Mull, (forgive me if i'm wrong) said it's a friction piece, not a bushing to be oiled.
New oils and lubricants, (designed for newer guns) are super slick, (Tetra, Clp and others) and even after a good wiping, you cant see how slick it is, but i'ts there. Standard old Browning oil works very well, I also use Remoil, but I think the Browning oil is better. With these long recoil actions, we may end up going to a non-detergent straight automotive type oil, in light weight, or something else, (industrial, maybe?) to get friction and rust protection that we need.
Jeff, what do you and A-5Guy think about this, there are industrial lubricants designed for special purposes, that may fit our needs better than gun oils on market now. The old oils did gum up and need frequent cleaning
OK, I'll hush for now, forgive my long winded thoughts.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:28 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have my grand-dads sportsman 48 12 ga. w/ poly choke. Decided to take it duck hunting last season and it worked fine until the part of the barrel tha goes back into the reciever broke. :( I have been thinking about buying another gun for the barrel and parts.
I agree, kicks like a mule but a cool gun.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:48 pm 
Presentation Grade

Lakenut, sounds like operator error or gun abuse. What load were you shooting?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:27 pm 
Crown Grade

gunmanwv wrote:
I recently purchased a Remington Model 11-48 12 Gauge Semi Automatic Shotgun from a local gundealer and paid $250 dollars for it. I was wondering if anyone could tell me where I can find some information about this particular gun including the value of it. Basically I was wondering if I got ripped off. :?:

If you like the gun, you certainly did not get ripped off. :wink:

Condition is everything with an older gun. Earlier this year, I bought a 1954 Remington 11-'48 12 gauge in very good condition for $265. I found it to be a great gun that will cycle a wide variety of loads after judicious lubrication. Felt recoil can be significantly reduced by installing a modern recoil pad such as the Pachmayr Decelerator.

The 11-'48 was produced from 1948-1968, with over 730,000 guns made (11-'48 + Sportsman 48 ). Parts are still available from aftermarket vendors such as e-gunparts.com. A few parts are also interchangeable with the 870/1100 series guns.

Go to www.remington.com, and send their customer support an e-mail with the serial number. They will tell you when it was made, and you can also request a photocopy of an original 11-'48 owner's manual. (There is also a 2 letter code stamped onto the barrel that will indicate production date, but that's a bit tough to explain.)

You bought a classic gun. Good luck with it!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:16 am 
Utility Grade

I think Im gonna be very happy with this gun. 8) thank y'all for all the information I found it to be very helpful. After I get a chance to look over the literature I requested from Remington I will write again and let y'all know how things are going with it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:22 am 
Limited Edition

Concerning the recoil part I mentioned. I don't ever remember the recoil being that bad when I was a teenager. It sat for probably 10 years or so and then when I shot it again, it kicked very hard. I am not familiar at all with the operation of this gun, so I didn't know what to do but stop shooting it for the time being. I am not recoil sensitive, so I know the recoil is not normal or expected from this gun. Something just isn't quite right with it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:50 am 
Crown Grade

Shot a 1148B grade (nicer wood/30" mod vent ribbed barrel) for over 12 years and doubt it had more then one box of low base ammo thru it in all that time, always potent mag reloads and don't remember it being all that bad on recoil? :?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:05 pm 
Diamond Grade

Quote:
Lakenut, sounds like operator error or gun abuse. What load were you shooting?

2 3/4" Remington Steel 1 1/4 oz #2 shot at normal velocity. I was shocked when the gun jammed. It would sometimes jam with light loads but never with heavy or magnums. When I looked into the reciever to see what the deal was the end of the barrel was rattleing around in the reciever. :? Don't know how that would be gun abuse or operator malfunction. A lot of 2 3/4" lead magnum loads can be very punishing to a gun and that is what this gun was designed to shoot. I know that steel shot puts a lot of stress on the bore and choke but I don't see how it would cause this to happen.

Quote:
don't remember it being all that bad on recoil

The recoil isn't all that bad. It was just different with the entire barrel moving and all. Almost like two recoils.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:16 am 
Limited Edition

Was this model ( 11-48/sportsman) chambered for 2 3/4" only?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:09 am 

snakebit, yes, it was only chambered for 2 3/4". But you can do a lot with 2 3/4" high brass.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:50 pm 
Presentation Grade

Lakenut, I apoligize. Magnums are hard on 11-48's, due to non-adjustable, (other than oil) recoil system, causes wear or play between barrel and bolt and hammering effect will cause your problem, (broke). After a lot of wear, barrel lockup between bolt and barrel is a lot different from A-5's and model elevens.
My opinion, if you want to shoot magnums, get a magnum gun. Remington said you could shoot magnums in 11-48's, what else could they say, this is all that they made.
Break time, now I'm as stuffed as the turkey was.
After the long life model eleven, then 11-48, 48 then 58, 878(first gas), then 1100 in fairly quick sucession tells story.
Buffer in back of 11-48 is usually very beat up, if heavy loads are shot, the ones in model elevens seldom need to be replaced, (probably dont need it) Brownings dont have one or need one evidently.

Merry Christmas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:20 pm 
Diamond Grade

Grizer-

No offense taken. I imagine the gun/barrel just wore out. Kind of disapointing since it was my grandfathers. :(