CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RED DOT AND OR HALOSIGHT ??
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:58 pm 
Field Grade

Anybody there tried a red dot sight or a halo sight on a shotgun for waterfowl hunting or am I just too crazy ?

Post subject: Re: RED DOT AND OR HALOSIGHT ??
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:46 am 
Utility Grade

I've met a few folks who have spoken about having red dot sights on their slug guns for deer hunting. I haven't used one for either deer or waterfowl but the red dots make sense for deer particularly in heavy brush.

The holographic sights that have a ring surrounding the center dot sound like a good idea for waterfowl too, as long as the ring shows where the gun patterns best.

If you do try this please post your results here I'd like to know which sight you chose and how well it worked for you.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:59 pm 

Location: 35 miles from Normal, Illinois (as close to normal as I'll ever be)
Here is a pic of Joe Kuhn and a Rem 870 he put together for trap shooting. I think he's had mixed success with the project, though he has shot some good scores with it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:15 am 
Field Grade

I dont think its quite the idea I had of a hunting shotgun.If I showed up to hunt with something like that, I would be the only one in the group shooting, the other guys would probably be laughing too hard to be able to shoot.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:45 pm 
Limited Edition

Rene; I used a bushnell trophy with the 4 different sights in one, this sight also has red and green reticals for low light conditions. Found this sight to be really quick in bush short range conditions. cost is around $100 Good luck OAKNUT

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have a red dot sight mounted on my 870 pump shotgun. But, it is NOT mounted to the receiver. It is affixed to the barrel in kind of a "scout scope" position. I mounted it to the barrel using an Aimtech RibRider mount that clamps around the vent rib. These mounts are hard to find but they are very solid pieces. The red dot I have is a large diameter tube and has no magnification. It is truly a "both eyes open" sighting system. I use it for deer and coyote hunting and haven't tried it for wingshooting yet. But, I find it extremely fast on target - even on moving targets. It is absolutely catsass for hunting coyotes at night! For wingshooting I don't think it will point as quickly as a bead, but I think it will work. I'm anxious to give it a try on wingshooting.

Having said that, I am highly right eye dominant and I can easily look downrange at my target, bring the gun to my shoulder and instantly see the red dot sitting right on the target - just like I would a bead. I don't need to close one eye or readjust the focus of me eyes. Because I have both eyes open, there is never a time when the sight itself completely obscures the target from my vision. I don't even notice sight being there. I just raise the gun, put the dot on the target and fire, never changing my focus on the target. If you do not have the strong one eye dominance that I do, it might not work for you.

I don't think a red dot sight that had any magnification would work. I also don't think a red dot sight mounted on the receiver would work. Mounted on the receiver it would be too close to your eye.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:03 pm 
Field Grade

So far nobody seems to have used it for waterfowl, maybe its not a good idea ?.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

I think it's a great idea. Please try it and report your findings here!

I don't hunt waterfowl but as soon as I get a chance to try out my red dot on some flying clay I'll let evrerybody know how it worked.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:55 pm 
Field Grade

To try it , I have to buy and install it. Before I spend the money for that, I sure would like the advice of people who actually tried it. I like to invest my money, not waste it ( except for guns, women and booze ).Out of the thousands of people who look at this site, somebody must have tried it somewhere, sometime ???

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

rene wrote:
Before I spend the money for that, I sure would like the advice of people who actually tried it. I like to invest my money, not waste it...

Me too. Which is why I'm trying to get you to try it first! :lol:

If we keep the topic near the top of the forum some guinea pig is bound to come along.

Of course, I've already got mine mounted and installed. I just have to get out with some clay pigeons some day.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:43 pm 
Field Grade

I would not want to sound like I was going to dictate what to do on your week ends, but it might be a good idea to have fun shooting some clays......................

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:27 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

rene wrote:
Anybody there tried a red dot sight or a halo sight on a shotgun for waterfowl hunting or am I just too crazy ?

I have used red dot sights, and they are great (on human, deer size targets), I imagine they would work fine on waterfowl. HOWEVER...........you must get one that is "paralax free". They are the higher end models like the aimpoint, $300.00 +. The $69.00 ones n the sporting goods stores are crap.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:31 pm 
Field Grade

There are 20000 members on this forum, I will be patient and hope that there is a least 1 member who actually tried it on waterfowl.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:53 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

It sound like you're waiting for a reason not to use them........go for it, let us know how you make out. If it doesn't work out, you still have a nice red dot to install on another gun.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:53 pm 
Field Grade

No no I want a reason to buy but all my rifles already have scopes, the red dot or halosight would go to waste if it does not work on waterfowl.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:05 am 
Presentation Grade

I wouldn't waste your time with a holosight or dot sight on a waterfowl gun. One more gizmo to cause grief on a good day. It requires batteries, has lenses to get soaked in rain, snow, & ice or covered in mud, mount to come loose....Ill pass on using one for waterfowl.

I've tried to use one on the trap range before on my turkey gun.....I shoot much better with the rib and beads. You end up aiming instead of pointing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:38 am 
Field Grade

So far from what I hear, it does not sound like a good investment,I will keep my money for HEVISHOT instead.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:29 pm 
Tournament Grade

I used my red dot sight to shoot some crows last weekend. I'd say it worked great! 8) It's as simple as a bead for me. I just stay focused on the target, bring the gun into line and see the red dot, never changing my focus off the target.

I agree that it doesn't work as good in the rain or in wet snow. Would much rather have a bead for that. But, in low light or dark conditions it is cat'sass!

I popped a running coyote at 40 yards a few weeks ago. Snap shot - completely intuitive - natural as a bead. I dig this system! Wouldn't work mounted on the receiver, though.

8)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:55 pm 
Field Grade

Hello,

What is the diameter of the front optic.
Would you recomment a larger optic for dark conditions.

Is it a 1x system?

CHeers

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:26 pm 
Crown Grade

Kart29 wrote:
I have a red dot sight mounted on my 870 pump shotgun. But, it is NOT mounted to the receiver. It is affixed to the barrel in kind of a "scout scope" position. I mounted it to the barrel using an Aimtech RibRider mount that clamps around the vent rib. These mounts are hard to find but they are very solid pieces. The red dot I have is a large diameter tube and has no magnification. It is truly a "both eyes open" sighting system. I use it for deer and coyote hunting and haven't tried it for wingshooting yet. But, I find it extremely fast on target - even on moving targets. It is absolutely catsass for hunting coyotes at night! For wingshooting I don't think it will point as quickly as a bead, but I think it will work. I'm anxious to give it a try on wingshooting.

Having said that, I am highly right eye dominant and I can easily look downrange at my target, bring the gun to my shoulder and instantly see the red dot sitting right on the target - just like I would a bead. I don't need to close one eye or readjust the focus of me eyes. Because I have both eyes open, there is never a time when the sight itself completely obscures the target from my vision. I don't even notice sight being there. I just raise the gun, put the dot on the target and fire, never changing my focus on the target. If you do not have the strong one eye dominance that I do, it might not work for you.

I don't think a red dot sight that had any magnification would work. I also don't think a red dot sight mounted on the receiver would work. Mounted on the receiver it would be too close to your eye.

as far as hunting coyotes at night, i take it you use some type of illumination? in our state, that's a huge no-no (deer jacking) and i doubt i could convince the game warden i was after coyote and not a deer :lol:

i agree... magnification units would be a bear... however, as pictured, mounting same on the receiver works as well... red dots also come in non-tube styles like the sandbox veteran EoTech

and if you would consider a crow to be a fitting stand in for a duck, yes, the EoTech works just fine... on the wing or static in a tree...

i think i'm going to take mine to the club on clay night just for the heck of it 8)

"It all comes down to going down the dark holes after monsters. That's what it's all about, when everyone else is huddled around the campfire somebody has to go out in the dark and fight." –Reverend Db