CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 3/4 oz 12 gauge wads?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:17 pm 
Utility Grade

I would like to know where to buy them and where to find load data.

Post subject: Re: 3/4 oz 12 gauge wads?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:11 pm 
Crown Grade

No such thing. About the best you will do is a 7/8 oz wad. I use the gray clay buster clone of the winchester. You just have to be careful with the crimps. A real pleasure to shoot. Read up on them on the skeet column. We`ve discussed them a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:55 pm 
Diamond Grade

I've had great success with the Federal 12SO wads and good success with the Claybuster clone (CB-1200).

Once I get through the cases and case I have of the CB 1200's, I go back to using the much more expensive Federals and /or the Win or CB "Gray" wads, exclusively.

(Search for and see the extensive thread and info graciously supplied herein by list-member 'Case' on how well the "gray" wads work for these loads.)

As for sources, try either Recob's Target Barn in WI or Natchez Shooter's Supply in TN.

A Google search will get you to both websites, quickly!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:14 pm 
Crown Grade

Go to the tab on the red line near the top of the page that says "Youth" and you can see real recipes from a powder company. http://www.hodgdon.com/data/shotshel/index.php

As already stated, the gray AAL, or it's Claybuster clone, or the Federal 12SO, or it's Claybuster clone, are among the best wads for 3/4 oz loads.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:32 pm 
Utility Grade

Thank you all.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:52 pm 
Diamond Grade

BP sells a wad listed for 3/4oz and 7/8oz in the 12ga. Going by the measure ment give it's about 1/16" longer than the WAA12L wads. There are two problems with it though. It designed for use mainly in straight walled hulls and data for it is for them but that's not a huge problem. The second is they are really expensive and any saveings in shot you make will be lost with the wads.
Case has real good luck with the WAA12L wads and I've been useing the 12S0 with good results. the trick is the right wad pressure (very little) and the correct crimp settings on your machine.
If you do a search we had a very detailed thread about 3/4oz 12ga loads.

Tim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:29 pm 
Limited Edition

Is it O.K. to use a wad that is designed for 1/8 oz more shot, if the resulting crimp is a little bit dished in?
Some combinations actually allow some pellets to fall out, while others just don't look quite right. Would it matter that the top of the petals contact the crimp before the top of the shot column?
My own guess is that 1/8 oz less shot than the wad was designed for is O.K., while 1/4 oz less would result in deforming the wad petals and would at least affect the shot pattern.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:29 pm 
Diamond Grade

It's fine. I routinely use 1 1/8oz wads for my heavy 1 oz loads. If you back off your wad pressure to 30lbs or less you shouldnt have to make much in the way of other adjustments. I load 3/4oz, 7/8oz and 1oz on my press and the only adjustment I do is with my wad seating ram.

Tim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've been down the pike with these things and the only wads that REALLY work and produce the best crimps with the least adjustment of the press are the WAA12L or its clone, the CB0178-12.

As far as I'm concerned, those wads are the golden keys to 3/4 oz. 12 gauge loads.

Am I being dogmatic about that? Yep -- because I've tried all the others and they flat don't work as well as those two.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:36 am 
Diamond Grade

[quote="Case"]I've been down the pike with these things and the only wads that REALLY work and produce the best crimps with the least adjustment of the press are the WAA12L or its clone, the CB0178-12.

As far as I'm concerned, those wads are the golden keys to 3/4 oz. 12 gauge loads.

Am I being dogmatic about that? Yep -- because I've tried all the others and they flat don't work as well as those two.[/quote]

I've got a bunch of Win grey wads, and have been kicking around the idea of loading up some 3/4 oz loads for shooting trap during the winter (when I don't care about score, just want to keep swinging a gun).

I use Win hulls, wads, and primers with e3 powder for my 7/8s and 1 oz loads. Anyone have any 3/4 oz recipes with those components, or will I need to change something (like powder)?

Thanks,

Michael

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:31 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Slick13 wrote:
I use Win hulls, wads, and primers with e3 powder for my 7/8s and 1 oz loads. Anyone have any 3/4 oz recipes with those components, or will I need to change something (like powder)?

Just use a stock 3/4 oz. MEC charge bar, those wads and a weighed charge of any 12 gauge powder reduced a grain or two from the published recipe for 7/8 oz. loads.

Less weight in the shot charge translates to less resistance, or "pull," as it would be referred to with seating bullets in metallic cartridges. Therefore, the shot's out of the barrel before the gas peaks, leaving unburned powder in the barrel.

You'll still get some probably, but less with a smaller powder charge, and velocity will be very acceptable.

You'll probably have to make some slight adjustments to the crimp punch depth and the cam if you're using a MEC.

Here's my 3/4 oz. 12 gauge recipe (copied from another post):

Any Remington or Winchester 12 gauge hull (Federals are too roomy.)
Average 315 gr. No. 8, 8-1/2 or 9 shot (Stock MEC 3/4 oz. bar)
Winchester, Remington, Fiocchi, Rio, PMC, Cheddite 209 primer (I'm now using Fiocchis -- they're dirt cheap)
14.7 gr. Alliant Promo (Cheap) (Stock MEC No. 25 bushing)
CB0178-12 clone of the WAA12L wad (Cheap -- bad crimps with any other)

Velocity: Somewhere betwixt 1100 and 1300 fps, I guess. (My chronograph's off to the shop.)
Pressure: Don't know, don't care.

But the light recoil, about that of a 28 gauge, won't cycle a semi-auto.

It's a target cruncher and with the bulk quantities of components I buy it loads for about $2.11 a box.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:25 pm 
Diamond Grade

[quote="Case"]
Just use a stock 3/4 oz. MEC charge bar, those wads and a weighed charge of any 12 gauge powder reduced a grain or two from the published recipe for 7/8 oz. loads.
[/quote]

Thanks for the help. Time to get my hands on a charge bar and see what I can come up with. :)

Michael

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:16 pm 
Diamond Grade

[quote="Slick13

[/quote]

Michael,

Sorry it has taken me this long to notice your question as, I use e3 for 3/4 oz loads, a LOT!

Yes, for 3/4 oz 12 ga loads in the Win hulls, I use 16.0 gr.s e3 with the CB gray 7/8 oz wad. And LOVE it for everything other than about 15-20% of sporting clays present.s.

(I also use 15.5 gr.s e3 in Rem hulls using the Federal F12SO wads but, you didn't ask about Rem hulls, did you. ;-)

I have found the e3 to be very, VERY with 1 oz loads and very clean with 7/8 oz loads but, not-so-clean with 3/4 oz loads but, guess I can't have my cake and eat it, too, huh?

I am anxious to try Case's load using Promo -- Case how clean (relatively speaking) is it?

Sidenote: Micahel, 3/4 oz loads add a simply terrific challenge to trap and, if you bust a straight ... and the clubhouse knows what you're using, you will literally have steam coming out of the ears of that one character (every club has at least one! ;-) who takes himself, his pellet count, and his custom pole too seriously!

Have a blast (on the range, not relaoding, that is . . .)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

thor_sen wrote:
I am anxious to try Case's load using Promo -- Case how clean (relatively speaking) is it?

The more I worked it down to 14.7 grains (stock MEC No. 25 bushing), which I'm using now and will continue to, the cleaner the bores were.

The lighter shot load just doesn't require any more than that and I'm pretty sure I've broken targets at as much as 30 yards with those loads.

It's not that it's dirty -- it's simply unburned powder that never peaked before the shot was out the barrel.

I'm not saying the bores are gonna be as clean as if you were using a heavier shot load and a really clean-burning powder but they're no dirtier than some powders leave them using normal loads.

I shoot every day and clean the bores maybe once a week. They're perfectly acceptable after I just push some rolled-up paper towel down them but I usually pull a Boresnake through once.

I use the paper towel so the Boresnake doesn't get filthy so fast.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:58 pm 
Diamond Grade

Okay, thanks!

(I really goof'ed and let a deal of Promo for $10/lb get by me last Fall . . . :?

Perhaps I was going the 'wrong' direction with the e3 (as in going 'up' to the charges listed for the lightest 7/8's oz loads).

I also have to take into account with my 3/4 oz loads that I am still trying to get through the veritable mountain of Claybuster clones for the Fed F12SO I have on hand. Some 'warned' me they might leave a lot of plastic in the bbls and, without a doubt, they are the ONLY Claybuster wads I have not been 100% thrilled with.

Once I'm through the remainder of these cases, I'm switching back over to the CB grays...

[Quite frankly, the volume of shooting I was doing the last 2 years, I don't know what I would've done had it not been for Claybuster's much more affordable products.]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

thor_sen wrote:
I also have to take into account with my 3/4 oz loads that I am still trying to get through the veritable mountain of Claybuster clones for the Fed F12SO I have on hand. Some 'warned' me they might leave a lot of plastic in the bbls and, without a doubt, they are the ONLY Claybuster wads I have not been 100% thrilled with.

I tossed a bag of them in with my initial order of a case of the gray WAA12L clones purely for test purposes.

They'll work, but the crimps won't be as good as with the gray clones, which I've determined is THE BEST wad for 3/4 oz. loads.

Didn't take me long to quit fooling with them, so I have no experience with how they foul a bore.

Quote:
[Quite frankly, the volume of shooting I was doing the last 2 years, I don't know what I would've done had it not been for Claybuster's much more affordable products.]

The only big name brand wad I use is the WAA20, and that because it works perfectly in 20 gauge with 11/16 oz. of shot and no other wad does.

And the 20s only cost $7 more per case from Recob's than Dusters or Claybusters.

I can live with that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:24 am 
Utility Grade

I have not personally put together a 3/4 12 gauge load, but my shooting buddy has. I shot 2 of his shells and it is noticeably lighter than the 7/8 practice loads I currently use.

He is using Remmy hulls, 209p primers, alliant e3 powder, and the CB 0178 hulls (12ga 7/8oz).

The crimps were depressed as would be expected with a short load on a wad. They went band and hit the targets.

They were 1150fps loads and that might be slow for such a light load, but we didn't pattern them. If you're forced to push 1200 with that load to open the pattern, one would ask the question .. why not just shoot the 7/8 load at 1150.

Then again, perhaps that's why the lightest loads for 12ga are typically 7/8.

If you're doing this for cost savings, consider 20ga or lighter reloads. If you're just a hobbyist like me .. use the CB1078s and underload em. Alliant's site shows this as a safe load and I can vouch.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:11 am 
Crown Grade

16.5 grn's of e3 in a AA HS with 3/4 oz in a CB-0178 will not cause a dished crimp whatsoever, and won't require any reloader adjustments.

But I tend to agree, 3/4 oz in 12-bore in my opinion is a novelty load.

I've done a lot of work with 3/4's oz, and playing with various wads, and a few different powders (CLAYS, Titewad, and e3), but the above load (16.5 grn's of e3 & the CB-0178 in a AA HS) was the only load that I could get to work reliably with good fit up. I did get some to work with Titewad, but fitment was always a challenge because the stuff is so dense.

I never was able to get CLAYS to work in 3/4 oz no matter what I tried. Others have said that they could get CLAYS to work in 3/4 oz, but I could not. Maybe our definition of "works" is different. But since I don't do AA's anymore, I don't load 3/4 oz anymore either.

If there were ever an example of why "burn rates" are important in powder selection, 3/4 ounce loads is the perfect one.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:24 am 
Crown Grade

Also food for though,

Have you weighted your drops to find out just want the bushings are throwing?????

Might be that your throwing close to 3/4oz loads with a 7/8oz bushing, and when you go with a 3/4oz bushing, throwing more close to 5/8oz instead.

But yes, if you just look at the powder volume needed for a specific load, find a powder that is on the more buckler side, then using the win L wad or a gray clone of such, should be able to pull off a true 3/4oz load without dished crimps once the machine is set correctly.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:41 pm 
Utility Grade

The simplest solution to this is to use a card wad. I have done this with 20 ga loads before there was a 3/4 oz 20 ga wad. I recommend Precision Reloading (http://www.precisionreloading.com) to find your wad. Typically you make sure the size of the card wad is one gauge smaller than the actual wad you reload. For example, I used a 28 ga card wad for my 20 ga load. Your load will crimp nicely. The card wads will run about 1 cent each.

I would line up 25 wads and place the card wad in the cup of each one. Then the reloading process moved along normally. Only takes an extra 3 minutes to setup the wads.

Hope this helps.