CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Barrel Length for Skeet????
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am looking for a Winchester Select Sporting and I have found a sale on a 32 inch barrel model.

I have just started shooting skeet again after a layoff of 35 years. At that time anything over 26 inches was rare for skeet. Now the skeet barrels are longer. I do remember the last year I shot skeet I switched from my Browning O/U with 26 inch barrel to a Remington Model 58 autoloader with a 26 inch barrel due to the reduced recoil in the gas operation. The overall length of the 58 was about 4 inches longer than the O/U so that would be about the same as a 30 inch O/U. I had my best averages that year with that gun.

What do others think about a 32 inch O/U for skeet. I am 6 ft and about 210 lbs, 70 years young. Heavy guns normally do not bother me.

Post subject: Re: Barrel Length for Skeet????
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:04 pm 
Crown Grade

In some guns like beretta 682`s you can get away with 32`s easier(to me anyways). I have a cynergy with 32`s and its a touch barrel heavy for skeet but I shoot it great. My 30 inch cynergy handles much better. Since my son recently got a energy both of us agreed on a 30 inch barrel . The energy isn`t the most nimble gun to be had. If you`re a big guy of course all this may be much different for you. Go to Gander Mt. and handle both.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The current trend among the Skeet whizzes is toward long barrels.

I don't know if this goose gun thing will remain in vogue or is just a passing fad.

Personally, I view 28" as the longest barrel with which I'd want to shoot Skeet.

I have a 30" Red Label and rarely use it for that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I like the 30" barrels in the small gauges an the 28" in the 12. I'm sure a 30" in the 12 would work just fine too. This is just my preference.

Skeet aren't hard to hit, just easy to miss....!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My 30" barrel on a Remington 1100 SC is a touch barrel heavy and exactly what is needed for my skeet gun. This is about the same as a 32 on an O/U.

Smooth, no stopping, just have to watch L8 to make sure you have enough ummph going to get the bird....L8 is the only place that the longer barrel, heavier gun, requires a bit more attention--for me.

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. This gives moderate exercise to the body & it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Let your gun be your constant companion.
T. Jefferson (1785)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:46 am 
Limited Edition

This may seem dumb to you old timers of skeet...but...here goes...Is the reason of the trend to longer barrels for skeet coupled to most folks adopting the high gun position that most folks are using now-a-days?...I always thought of skeet being a primer to field shooting and not a take off of trap shooting...I sorry if I have offended anyone here with that statement..and I'm not knocking shooting it like that..but as a novice to the sport..it would seem to be more of a challenge from the low position and you would need a shorter barrel and lighter gun?

Mac

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:17 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Once in a while I'll shoot a round of skeet using low gun mount. I can't tell any difference in my scores or anything else. Long barrel, short barrel, still the same score.

Skeet aren't hard to hit, just easy to miss....!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:30 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

With 30 inch barrels on the 1100 I am shooting only low gun as I had to get to one mount/swing for skeet and sporting clays.

At skeet, with low gun, I can find little difference between an 1100 Skeet 26" and the 30" clays gun. At SClays the 30" keeps me swinging better and provides a longer sight radius.

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. This gives moderate exercise to the body & it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Let your gun be your constant companion.
T. Jefferson (1785)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:11 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Mac11700 wrote:
Is the reason of the trend to longer barrels for skeet coupled to most folks adopting the high gun position that most folks are using now-a-days?...

Some of the hot shots are shooting 34" barrels now.

Maybe they figure that gives them an advantage of being closer to the target. :shock:

Or they just want to be ready in case a flock of Canadas comes winging over the range.

But I'm all for this goofy trend maintaining a good head of steam.

Keeps prices ridiculously low on fine 26", 27" and 28" barrelled Winchester 101 Skeet Grades.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Case wrote:
But I'm all for this goofy trend maintaining a good head of steam.

Keeps prices ridiculously low on fine 26", 27" and 28" barrelled Winchester 101 Skeet Grades.

A Sailor's Creed - "If you can't tie good knots, tie lots of 'em.”

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:22 am 
Presentation Grade

Mac11700 wrote:
This may seem dumb to you old timers of skeet...but...here goes...Is the reason of the trend to longer barrels for skeet coupled to most folks adopting the high gun position that most folks are using now-a-days?...I always thought of skeet being a primer to field shooting and not a take off of trap shooting...I sorry if I have offended anyone here with that statement..and I'm not knocking shooting it like that..but as a novice to the sport..it would seem to be more of a challenge from the low position and you would need a shorter barrel and lighter gun?

Mac

I shoot a 32" Browning low gun at everything (even trap :shock: ) when I miss a target it ain't the gun. It really doesn't matter a whole bunch if it is my 6 1/2# 28 gauge field model or my 9# target gun. High gun seems to be easier, less room for error in your move/mount to the target but that is precisely why I started to shoot LOW GUN. A little more challenging. For a bigger challenge I have tried the FITASC and and an International mount but have settled mostly at a "mid" mount. Between FTASC and mounted. Initially i was having problems with High 8, I changed my hold point and it has pretty much solved the problem.

That's going to leave a mark!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:26 pm 
Limited Edition

Fish Springs wrote:
With 30 inch barrels on the 1100 I am shooting only low gun as I had to get to one mount/swing for skeet and sporting clays.

At skeet, with low gun, I can find little difference between an 1100 Skeet 26" and the 30" clays gun. At SClays the 30" keeps me swinging better and provides a longer sight radius.

Not to be sarcastic or anything...but why do you need a longer site radius??? This would mean your aiming the shotgun instead of pointing it correct?..I always thought shotgunning at any moving winged target was a point and shoot and you only used the beads for head alignment..not aiming...as you would normally would with a stationary target like when turkey hunting or deer hunting?????

Mac

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

ClayTargetKiller wrote:
I shoot a 32" Browning low gun at everything (even trap :shock: )

Even trap?

Trap justifies a longer barrel and in fact most trap guns have very long barrels.

Classic Skeet guns never did.

Mac11700 wrote:
...why do you need a longer site radius???

To give an already goofy situation an even goofier excuse.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:03 pm 
Crown Grade

I think that barrel length is a matter of what you can best handle. The longer barrels tend to smooth out one's swing, but in skeet, unlike trap and most SC targets, you have doubles where you need to stop the barrels and change direction (to a point). This requirement would tend to preclude the advantages of super long barrels, in my mind, anyway. Now, if the gun is perfectly balanced between the hands, there really is no need for long barrels is there? And I agree with Mac regarding the sight radius. Anyone who claims that the longer sight radius is beneficial is either fooling you or themselves. In the latter case, I have a bridge I'd like to talk to you about. :wink: :lol:

Frank

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:59 pm 
Presentation Grade

Case wrote:
ClayTargetKiller wrote:
I shoot a 32" Browning low gun at everything (even trap :shock: )

Even trap?

Trap justifies a longer barrel and in fact most trap guns have very long barrels.

YEP, EVEN TRAP :shock:
I think it is alot more fun that way and definately more challenging. I shoot trap pretty well and Low gun is even more fun on wobble trap. I've tried it from the 27 and scores are decent there but consistency is hard to get. I just have to work at it some. I don't shoot registered trap and have no intentions on doing so. I don't shoot registered skeet but some day I might give it a go. I do shoot registered sporting and shooting low gun at everything has greatly improved the game.

That's going to leave a mark!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:27 am 
Crown Grade

Since we're talking skeet here, I think any barrel length from 26-32 is fine if it feels right to you. The gun should be muzzle heavy enough to be steady and heavy enough altogether to absorb recoil. In skeet we are not talking about long targets with a long time to ride the target. Sporting is different, and I believe there is a difference in that "sighting plane" for those long targets.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:30 am 
Crown Grade

I think you touched on something there. It is hard for me personally to shoot a short gun at skeet then go to a long gun for SC`s. So I shoot a long gun all the time. A long gun still helps me personally at skeet. But as we know everyones different.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:35 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

claysmoker wrote:
Sporting is different, and I believe there is a difference in that "sighting plane" for those long targets.

If long(er) barrels give you a better balanced gun, it will likely contribute to a smoother, more controlled swing. I just can't buy the "sighting plane" argument. With your head properly placed on a typical skeet/SC stock, the beads will be pretty closely stacked in a figure 8. Your view will be almost flat to the rib.

Disregarding balance and swing for a moment, and concentrating on just the sight picture, I dare anyone to determine with any degree of certainty whether that barrel is 28 or 30 inches long. Sight down a pool cue... same thing. Sitting behind the controls of a small plane awaiting takeoff, is that a 2800' or 3000' runway before you? Without consulting the approach plate, you can't tell. (The runway to shotgun barrel comparison may not be a perfect one, but it's close enough and you get the idea.)

At the risk of ruining some outstanding purchase opportunities for Case, myself, and others :mrgreen: , there's no good reason why a 28" barreled O/U won't be just as effective on skeet targets as a 30 or 32", especially since many will add another 10-15 oz. worth of sub-gauge tubes to the front end.

With the "sighting plane" argument debunked (IMO), I'm at a loss to understand why those who gravitated toward 32", and even 34" barrels then fitted them with short 26" and 28" tubes.

The target gun manufacturers sure love 'em though. :lol:

A Sailor's Creed - "If you can't tie good knots, tie lots of 'em.”

Last edited by ShootingStar on Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:20 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

ShootingStar wrote:
(The runway to shotgun barrel comparison may not be a perfect one, but it's close enough and you get the idea.)

Of course it is.

From a perspective of even five or ten degrees off any plane, it's simply impossible to come anywhere near perceiving its actual length and we're not even that far off the rib of a shotgun -- we should be looking straight down it and seeing no perspective at all.

And without some perspective, it's impossible to even see length, let alone put a measurement to it.

I've heard for years that nonsense about longer barrels on handguns making for better sighting planes to some benefit.

It's all the same foolishness, whether applied to handguns or shotguns.

People glom on to fallacies like this, then blithely go about parroting them to others without ever once giving them the first critical thought.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:52 pm 
Limited Edition

Quote:
It's all the same foolishness, whether applied to handguns or shotguns.

No...I respectfully beg to differ with you on this aspect sir...While I may be a novice with skeet...shooting at stationary(or semi-stationary) targets with pistols ....shotguns with beads/sights..or rifle with open sites..I am not a novice...and in those cases..the longer sighting plane is benificial to some degree or another especially with folks who's eye site isn't the greatest and it is possible to be able to ascertain the actual sighting plane of that paticular weapon..and it really does help them with this..but this is a altogether different type of shooting situation...where one is trying to place a single projectile or even a full shot charge/slug/buckshot/bullet onto a non moving target..or one that isn't moving very much and your utilizing the beads/sights to do this allowing your focus to shift from the sites/beads to the target.. Everything I have ever been shown or taught..is once you loose your focus(concintration) on the target in the middle of the swing and you look at the beads...you most likely shoot behind the bird...be it featherd or clay...so for me..I asked if he was aiming the barrels...and wanted his clarification on it..I also have been told by more than 1 person it would be better to take the beads completely off the barrel and learn to shoot that way...I haven't gone that far..but I see no reason I couldn't since my periphreal vison is very accute...

Mac