CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Finger in Shotgun Barrel
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:15 am 
Tournament Grade

Watching Mythbusters the other nite! The "myth" was you could put your finger in the barrel of a shotgun and the Barrel would blow up, or banana peel back. Well it's a myth!! 2 tries and both times the test "hand" blew off!! Altho I recall there was a slight bulge at the tip of the Barrel. Then they jammed 8 inches of dirt down the barrel and the gun blew a small section of the end of the barrel and peeled the rib back. The barrel remained pretty much intact.
Bottom line, that gun did not blow out the breech, bolt or barrel the "shooter" was totally safe from shrapnel or getting his hand blown off!!!
I was facinated by the testing feel a bit better about the guns we use..

Good Shooting

Ray

Post subject: Re: Finger in Shotgun Barrel
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:07 am 
Limited Edition

What were the specifics, ie load, size, bore, etc? I think you could come up with a load that would sufficiently destroy the shotgun that it poses a threat to the shooter.
On a side note, who would believe that they could stop an ounce of lead moving at 1200 fps with their thumb? Your thumb can't even stop a papercut, let alone buckshot. Like I've always said, the gene pool is self cleaning.
:roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hog Fanj:
The gun was a 12 ga semi auto. they didnt comment about the load. figured a lite load tho..they tried 2 times with a plastic skeleton and ballistic gel (supposed to mimic human skin and density. Then they impacted the barrel with 8 in of mud I think they ran a metal plug in too!!

What they wanted to do was have the barrel bannana peel like Hollywood!!! They also drove a bullet into a Carano rifle that didnt blow apart either...It kicked out of the vice but the integrity of both guns remained..

As a shooter I was curious as to what could happen not that I'd take a chance leaving a wad in the barrel from a sqib....

Hey it's good TV!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:51 pm 
Diamond Grade

williray4 wrote:
Watching Mythbusters the other nite! The "myth" was you could put your finger in the barrel of a shotgun and the Barrel would blow up, or banana peel back. Well it's a myth!! 2 tries and both times the test "hand" blew off!! Altho I recall there was a slight bulge at the tip of the Barrel. Then they jammed 8 inches of dirt down the barrel and the gun blew a small section of the end of the barrel and peeled the rib back. The barrel remained pretty much intact.
Bottom line, that gun did not blow out the breech, bolt or barrel the "shooter" was totally safe from shrapnel or getting his hand blown off!!!
I was facinated by the testing feel a bit better about the guns we use..

Good Shooting

Ray
As if I realy needed to be told that. Gee finger/ loaded shotgun let's see what happens. (end sarcasm)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:02 am 
Tournament Grade

Hey what can anyone say!!! The fools in Hollywood show this type of stuff and people tend to believe it. The guys that do the show are a couple of ex stuntmen and i believe engineers, would anyone in his right mind try it?? No and NO!!

I was interested in how the barrels held up and what would happen with obstructions in the barrel. I still want to always err on the side of saftey,no plugged barrels.

Regards

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:26 am 
Crown Grade

I saw that show a few months back and it appeared to me that the barrel had burst back toward the receiver, but they never showed a close up of that area. I keep hoping to see it again and look for it. Maybe it was just bad lighting. A burst barrel might explain why some of the things they expected to happen didn't happen.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:21 pm 
Presentation Grade

I saw the show and the only gun I would think you could get to do the banana peel action would be an old damascus twist barrel. I have see them before where someone failed to notice mud plugging the muzzle and when shot the barrel untwisted. Not sure what happened to the shooter. They did plug the barrel with a steel rod that was welded in placed at the muzzle. but the weld would have been only the edge between the barrel and the rod. Not really enough to stop the pressures from the round. Popped it right out.

Like I said the only way to see the banana peel affect would be with a damascus barrel.

The Myth Busters are a hoot , but not gun experts by any stretch of the imagination.

APEXDUCK

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:30 pm 
Crown Grade

They were trying to see if they could get a barrel to peel back such as you see in the Bugs Bunny cartoons. Elmer sneeking up on Bugs' hole with his everfaithful SxS...Up pops Bugs...Elmer tells the Wascally Wabbit that he's fixin to Bwast him....Bugs sticks fingers in barrel,Elmer pulls triggers,Barrels peel back in four sections and Elmer has a blackface ,no hat and smke coming up from his smoking head. WHEW!

The 2 deals with the fake hands was funny. When they welded the rod into the end I just knew something terrible was going to happen. When they took the shotgun outside and started to jam the barrel into the ground........Well lets just say that I figgered those folks was gonna appreciate having that Bullet proof glass in front of them...

HWD

My Marine kicked cancer's a$$!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

I thought the gun was an 870 Express? Must not have paid close enough attention. If it was an auto, they should have ued a pump gun or single shot to get maximum pressure against the obstruction. Still, I think anyone who knows anything about firearms would know that a finger in the barrel would only result in a missing finger (or hand, arm, etc) on the business end.

Also, short of using a Damascus barrel, they should have tried a 12 20 burst.

Good show nonetheless.

Anyone else catch the one about diving under water as protection from gun fire? Pretty surprising results, none of the rounds could stay together in the water to do any damage.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:29 pm 
Crown Grade

In my life time I've seen two barrels (pumps both) that were plugged (mud/dirt) then shot and both times the barrel split (one) about three inches from the muzzle back. Sure no banana peal thingamajig though...just a single split?
Now the 1100 I once saw (or what was left of it) with a full load in the mag and a 20 followed a 12 in the chamber....well that was a small bomb! :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:17 pm 
Field Grade

My 1100 20 split the barrel on it for about 3" starting 2" in front of the reciever going towards the end of the barrel. Still have no idea how it happened. I was shooting clays and took my second shot at a double, felt like somebody wound up and punched me in the shoulder as hard as they could. Wispy smoke was coming out of the side of the barrel and it was opened up about 1/8".

Only thing i can think of was it was a manufacturing flaw, it was within the first 500 rounds through that gun that it happened. Sent it back to my gunsmith to get everything else checked out and he replaced the barrel for free, only charged me the tear down/inspection labor.

Justin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:43 pm 
Crown Grade

If they used an auto/express it would not be a realistic test. The auto will release gasses into the forearm and the express has a thicker barrel. Too bad they didn't use something with a light contour barrel. An 870 Wingmaster maybe? No gas relief and thinner steel.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:30 am 
Crown Grade

I watched Mythbusters tonight and they were trying to determine if a human could catch a .357 magnum in their teeth, as we see magicians do. Anyway, they were trying to catch bullets in a device made out of steel, and timed to clamp down on the bullet as it entered the device. They made all their measurements and never caught the bullet in one piece. However, their calculations were made without ever taking into consideration that the bullet doesn't always come out of the gun at the same speed. It might be a variance of 10-20 fps, but that would be enough time difference that the mechanical catcher would never catch the bullet.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:18 pm 
Limited Edition

Jaybones, you are correct it was an 870. Check this thread out. The owner of the gun swears it did not have a barrel blockage..........................

http://americanwaterfowlers.com/forum/s ... hp?t=14314

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:08 am 
Field Grade

I'll have to take that one off my self defense tactics list.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:30 pm 
Utility Grade

When I was in High School (55 years ago) it was "widely known" that cheap French and Belgian shotguns were weak and not too safe.

A buddy of mine had an inexpensive 12 gauge single made in Belgium, so one day we decided to blow it up.

We tied it to a sawhorse outside his garage and attached a long string to the trigger. We then plugged the muzzle with a cork, repaired to the garage and yanked on the string. The gun fired and was fine.

Next we pounded a piece of dowel rod (I think) into the bore and tried again. Same result.

At this point we decided to go with a "sure thing" a 20 gauge shell in the forcing cone and a 12 on top. Back to the garage. Same result.

We recovered the 20 gauge shell and it was obvious that it too had fired as the whole front end was missing and the mouth of what remained was shredded and blackened.

At that point we said "To hell with it!" and dismantled the setup. We must have had the strongest Belgian, single barrel, 12 gauge shotgun in the whole world.

A true story.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:39 pm 
Utility Grade

jaybones wrote:

Good show nonetheless.

Anyone else catch the one about diving under water as protection from gun fire? Pretty surprising results, none of the rounds could stay together in the water to do any damage.

I heard on some other boards (www.ar15.com) that it was because the gun was too close to the water and the round was still supersonic, and thats why the .22 worked, but anything that was supersonic did not, if it was a real situation, like shooting from a bridge, then it would probably have slowed down enough that the round would not break up, and would kill you...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

It was an express,thats why it took so much to blow the barrel.

Post subject: re: Finger in Shotgun Barrel
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:47 pm 
Field Grade

Mythbusters is a neat show, but I wouldn't put much creedence into some of their "experiments." Remember, they usually have a sample size of one or two.

You have a squib and shoot another round thru the gun, you're more than likely to get a burst or if you're lucky, just a ring bulge or two.

On average, an obstruction has to be at least an inch past the muzzle for a burst or ring bulge to form. What happens is the shot hits the obstruction and sends a shock wave back to the breech and then bounces back to the muzzle. If by the time that shockwave reaches the muzzle again, if the wad hasn't cleared the muzzle so the pressure can be released, you're probably going to get a burst or bulge. Sometimes the shockwave goes back and forth a few times and you'll see multiple ring bulges in a barrel! I say an inch or so because in most cases, the shot charge and wad clear the obstruction out of the barrel before the shock wave coming back from the breech makes it to them.

Post subject: Re: re: Finger in Shotgun Barrel
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:33 am 
Crown Grade

Engstfeld wrote:
an obstruction has to be at least an inch past the muzzle for a burst or ring bulge to form. What happens is the shot hits the obstruction and sends a shock wave back to the breech and then bounces back to the muzzle. If by the time that shockwave reaches the muzzle again, if the wad hasn't cleared the muzzle so the pressure can be released, you're probably going to get a burst or bulge. Sometimes the shockwave goes back and forth a few times and you'll see multiple ring bulges in a barrel! I say an inch or so because in most cases, the shot charge and wad clear the obstruction out of the barrel before the shock wave coming back from the breech makes it to them.

Actually, if you hold your finger an inch from the muzzle, it will peel the barrel back like a banana...................!!! :roll:
..and your finger will not be harmed; the shock wave bounces forward again, forcing the finger out of the way before the shot column reaches it!! :lol:

...then, the shock wave reflects to your car, rotating all four tires and topping up the radiator.