CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Last try please help 12 ga Texan Load Master Reloading press
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:26 pm 
Field Grade

I have been given this older Texan 12 ga load Loadmaster press. The press is in great condition, almost new. I am a Mec user and load around 1000 rounds a year with my Mec 650. I have been loading for the last 35 years and wanted to turn this press into my pheasant hunting load press.
1st issue is I have no manual so I am just going on my past experience with my Mec. I would love to get some paper on this press if anyone knew where I could get some copies.
2nd issue, is when I try to load a plastic shell with a plastic wad the drop tube and the wad finger collar get stuck together and makes for a small science project to get them apart. Is there another size tube I should be using?
3rd issue my resizing collar is an # 82 I can’t find any reference to this.
4th issue I only have the 8 point crimp starter for this press. Does any one know where I could get a 6 point or if there is a retrofit that I could do?
Last if this topic has been covered please direct me to the posting.

Thanks

ParkerVH28

Last edited by ParkerVH28 on Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Please help with 12 ga Texan Load Master Reloading press
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:49 pm 
Field Grade

I thought I would ask for help one more time over the weekend. I would still like to use this old press because it is in such great shape. So if any of you would like to take a crack at it, please do.

Thank you

Parkervh28

Post subject: Re: Last try please help 12 ga Texan Load Master Reloading p
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

OK I guess I will give it a shot. I do not have any manuals, but I own 3 of the Texan FW reloaders. I think they are similar except for the base of the reloader, but I may wrong. Is your reloader set up basically the same as a mec 600jr?

I am not sure how the drop tube & wad fingers are getting stuck together. Are the wad fingers 16ga & the wad is actually getting stuck?

All the resizing collers I have are marked in the ga. they are used for so not sure what 82 is. Does it not work for the 12ga?
Maybe you have a mixmatch of dies on the reloader. I think most of them are marked as to the ga they are used for.

I have converted all of my reloaders over to mec crimp starters & universal charge bars. You can also use your mec charge bars.

I probably wasn't much help, but if you post back, I will try to help you out. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have a scanned instruction sheet and parts list for a Texan FW I used to have- Not sure if it is the model you have or if it you are interested in seeing it. I'd be glad to Email it to you if you PM me your email address. It's about 1.7 MB.

Nice thing about The texans is that you can use the MEC bars and like he said above, the mec spindex crimp starters can be mounted in the old threaded hole. I never did play around with trying to use MEC wad fingers with them.

Adam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:54 pm 
Field Grade

Thank you GunsRfun and Hawk Driver

I have found out that my press is a Texan Laodmaster Model D, They were building a less expensive version at the same time called the AII. Both of these press used the same process to load a hull. The later models from looking at pictures seem to work almost like the Mec. This press works as follows.
Station 1 De-prim
Station 2 place the sizing collar over the hull and prim. At his point the sizing collar stays on the hull until the last step.
Station 3 drop powder and remove sizing collar and hull from press, pull wad finger collar of the drop tube and place on top of the hull. Place wad column into the wad finger collar. Then place the assembly back on the press. Seat the wads, drop the shot.
Station 4 start the crimp and crimp
Station 5 punch loaded shell out of resizing collar.

It is at station 3 where the wad finger collar gets stuck on the drop tube if you use plastic wads. The drop tube is about .040 too big in diameter. There is not enough room for the pedals of the plastic wad and the whole collar gets stuck because the wad collar fingers become bound between the wad petals and the case. So we know how long plastic wads have been around. They started showing up in the 60’s.

Thank you

Parker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:31 pm 

I suggest that the wad guide has been replaced with the wrong size piece. Look at the MEC stuff and possibly modify one to work.

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:45 pm 
Field Grade

Curly-Nohair, thank you for getting back I checked the wad finger collar out and it is the right size. I am beginning to think this press was made before plastic wads. Over the week I did load up some loads with nitro cards and felt wads. The press seems to work okay with the old style wads. But if you get a hull that was shot in a gun with a large chamber it makes for a very deep crimp when you have to eject the loaded round out of the resizing collar. So I am just using the lowest brass/metal I can find. I am just hoping for someone to still have a copy of the manual. There are parts that do not add up?

Thank you

Parker

Post subject: re: Last try please help 12 ga Texan Load Master Reloading p
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:29 am 
Diamond Grade

ParkerVH28,

I purchased an old Texan loadmaster (model D) a few weeks ago.

It came with a manual - not in the best shape but them's the breaks.

If you would like I can scan that in for you and send you the file in PDF - if you don't have one already. Or I can post up image by image in another thread.

Best,
Baiz

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:54 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello from Northern Minnesota,

I would absolutly love a copy of that manual for the model D!!!!! I just ended up with one at an auction last week. It got thrown in with a bunch of things I was biddin on. It is in farly good shape and I like the idea of getting some used out of somthing that has been around this long. have you found any other sorces of info on the Texan reloaders? Seems like there should be a home for this info somewhere?

Thanks and Stay Safe!

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:03 pm 
Utility Grade

Anyone have a manual that they can share for a Model D texan loader? Please let me know.

Thanks and Stay Safe!

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:49 am 
Diamond Grade

I'll dig up the file I have.

Not sure if I saved it.

PM me an email address and I'll send in the next couple of days. Might be a little longer if I have to rescan it as I have to then find the manual. :oops:

Slow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:16 am 
Diamond Grade

Hi all,
To the guys that sent me a PM. I've responded and have sent you a PDF copy of the Texan Loadmaster D reloader manual via Whale Mail (a service I use to move larger files).

You can tell this manual has seen a lot of use. But it has:
-Conversion kit list
-Bushings list for powder and shot
-Sizing die table
-Parts list
-Loading table (with some seriously dated info)
-Operating instructions with pictures.

Sorry the file is so large (17 meg)... But I couldn't get the images in the Operating Instructions to show up well otherwise.

If anyone else wants a copy, please PM an email address and I'll send you the link to download the file.

Best,
Slow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:41 am 
Diamond Grade

Ladies and Gents,
Just a heads up. I still get requests for this file and wanted to let folks know that I am now using a service called Yousendit. It sends a link to the scanned doc and you can download it from their servers. Have tried repeatedly to get the file smaller to be able to send via email but the type becomes eligible.

Please note when using commercial services like YouSendit the notification and link can sometimes end up in your spam folder.

Best,
Slow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:45 pm 
Tournament Grade

If you look under free reloaders (title only) in this section, if yours looks like the 2 I have I do have a manuel for them I can run a copy for you. I do also have parts.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

The only texan loader info i have seen on line is here http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREARMS/texan_m_iv.pdf is it close to your model?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:20 pm 
Diamond Grade

Tsharp.
If you have parts I would interested in sizing dies for the 20ga or a whole set up for a 16ga. Also looking for the shell guide that goes on the left of the base plate for 12 and 20.

Nice haul!

slow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:58 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have an old Loadmaster, manual for the AII with tables, dies for 20g and 12g including 2-3/4" and 3" both gauges, a pot full (20???) of powder and shot bushings, 12g wad guide (not sure about 20g), 6 and 8pt starters, etc. The shot and powder tubes are pretty trashed and there's 10 years of dust on it. Yours cheap as I just want postage and a down payment on a bunch of Hornady bushings. Make offer.

This was originally 20g, but added die set for 12g. Set up for 12g at present.

If you have the tall aluminum wad guide with the bronze fingers, it was made for fiber wads with no shot cup.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:08 am 
Diamond Grade

sending pm.

Thanks!
slow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:55 pm 
Utility Grade

Hawkdriver75--Are you still out there?
Do you still have Texan FW instruction manual you e-mailed to someone in 2006? I have an FW I've been using for about 5 years, just like the one my dad and I used back in the 70's. He sold his, along with the adjustment instructions. I've been able to remember most of the adjustment and maintenance from back then, but heck, I was a kid then and how much I paid attention (well, you know). Now I'm 40 years wiser and want to do things right, not trusting the brain cells that survived the '80's

Thanks