CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beretta vs. Binelli
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 5:25 pm 
Utility Grade

Looking at a new semi. Really like the techonology of the binelli, but everyone swears by the beretta. How about some educated opinions.<br><br>GK <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: Re: Beretta vs. Binelli
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 9:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

First of all what are you going to use it for?<br><br>2nd I love brownings so you might look into those<br><br>3rd if you have to get a beretta or benelli get the beretta <p>Browning, The Best there is because second best is well...second best.</p><i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 9:31 am 
Diamond Grade

What is the technology that Benelli has that you like? <br> <p></p><i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 12:11 am 
Global Moderator

The big difference is going to be recoil actuated or gas operated.<br><br>The Benelli does not use the gas piston system that most auto loaders have, it has an inertia driven bolt system....I like it alot. There are no pistons to keep clean or O-rings to mess with. <br><br>The recoil with the Beretta will be less as some of the gas is bled off to operate the bolt and carrier mechanism. <br><br>Either one will do fine regardless of what you use it for and each one has its pecularities that have to be maintained. <p>There is a fine line between a hobby and insanity.</p><i></i>

~~There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness~~

"Women and Cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."--Robert A. Heinlein--

Post subject: tough decision
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 10:15 am 
Utility Grade

That's a tough choice, but either way you'd be getting a darn nice shotgun. I am thrilled with my Beretta. As Rick said there seems to be a noticable decrease in recoil because of the gas bleed, especially when shooting heavy hunting loads. But if I were to do it all over again, I might get a Benelli because gas-operated semis get FILTHY. Cleaning a recoil operated has got to be easier than this. <p></p><i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 11:54 pm 
Utility Grade

I like the easy cleanup of the non-gas, but I also like not having the whole barrel move as part of the recoil operation. Recoil is not a big concern, as I have been shooting pretty heavy loads with my pump, and I am unbothered by it. I shoot mostly sporting and skeet, (shot trap for the first time yesterday) <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: recoil
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 9:47 am 
Utility Grade

I find recoil to not be an issue except in one respect: follow-up shots. There is less muzzle rise than in other types of actions, so you can re-acquire your next target just a little faster. From that standpoint, I can see a benefit to using Berettas for clay-shooting sports. When I switch between shotguns during a sporting clays session, the difference is noticable. In actual hunting situations though, the volume of shooting is quite low, so my guess is they'd be in line with one another. <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: Re: recoil
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 10:01 pm 
Field Grade

You definitely want to take into consideration what the primary use of the gun will be.<br><br>I own a Benelli Montefeltro 12 Ga. It's a great gun. I've put a few thousand rounds through it and it performed flawlessly. My one complaint is that it will tend to beat your shoulder up if you plan on shooting a lot within a day (i.e. your shooting skeet or sporting clays with it) due to the light weight and the inertia operated system.<br><br>I just purchased a mercury recoil reducer and hopefully this will cut down soem of the bite.<br><br>If you're buying a field gun, I would say definitely go with the Benelli, but if your primary use is clay shooting, you might want to consider a gas-operated system.<br><br>CMoore <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: best semi autos
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 9:14 pm 
Utility Grade

what semi auto shotgun would you suggest for a deer hunter who wants a gun that can hold a tight buckshot pattern in 3 in <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: Re: best semi autos
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 9:46 pm 
Presentation Grade

For a gun that would be used for deer hunting only? Well any of the big names like Browning, Beretta, Benelli, Remington, or Winchester. If you are really looking at going after deer I would say get a shotgun with a rifled slug barrel. If I had to pick a shotgun I would go with a Remington 11-87 two reasons. One cost the remington is cheaper that all of the others that I said. Two the amount of parst you can get for it can set you up for what ever you want to use it for. But that is just IMHO. <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: beretta vs benelli
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 12:23 pm 
Utility Grade

Gkeas, I think you may be confused. Benelli uses a rotary bolt system the whole barrel does not move. <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: Re: beretta vs benelli
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 11:30 pm 
Field Grade

Gkeas, if like the recoil action, just go find ya the best shotgun ever made. <br><br>If ya don't don't know what it is its the A-5.<br><br><br><br>Browning Auto-5, Til Hell Or High Water <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub125.ezboard.com/bshotgunworld.showUserPublicProfile?gid=nicolisd@shotgunworld>nicolisd</A> at: 2/9/03 10:31:38 pm<br></i>

Post subject: I've owned both
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 10:54 pm 
Utility Grade

Their both great guns, the best. If you shoot a lot go for the Beretta, if you just get it out once a year for dove hunting go for the Benelli. After shooting all day with the Benelli all you really have to clean is the barrel. When I broke the Beretta down I always had to get the book out. A four year old can break down the Benelli. You have a really tough decision to make. What the the heck, just go get a Wingmaster. That way the whole world will agree with you. <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: Re:  Beretta vs. Binelli
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:21 pm 
No one seems to realize that Beretta makes a very fine inertia operated shotgun similar to the Benelli. It's called a Beretta Pintail. I own one & love it. It costs about half what a Super Black Eagle costs. It is not advertised very much because Benelli is owned by Beretta and selling more Pintails would dip into the Benelli market. If you need to shoot 3.5" shells, go for the Super Black Eagle. If all you will shoot is 3" & less - I suggest you look into the Beretta Pintail or the Benelli M1. Inertia is more reliable than gas.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:53 pm 
Ornithology Expert

According to the poll the Beretta line is most popular.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:53 pm 
I have a beretta AL391 and it is deffinately top of the line for semis. I would have to differ on the subject of reliability. I find that the beretta gas actuated system is the most reliable out there. Since your shoulder takes less of a beating with the beretta, that means the gun does too, leading to a longer, happier, shotgun life! However, both guns are proven, so your choice should be which fits YOU better.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:41 pm 
I have (2)friends that own the Benelli SBE's and all have had cycle failures using light loads. On the other hand, I have owned a Beretta AL390 for 4 years, shoot clays 2-3/4 , 3" steel loads at waterfowl, 3 " turkey loads with absolutely no failures to feed or cycle over (4) hunting seasons. Benelli is a good quality gun but they beat you death and will not cycle light loads 100% of the time. BTW I'm puchasing a 3.5 Xtrema this weekend!!!!! Gas is reliable!!! At least when it is a Beretta!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:41 pm 
Hey guys, new to the site. I did some research last weekend on Beretta vs. Benelli. I was working our booth for Knight & Hale Game Calls introducing our new waterfowl calls at the DU Festival in Memphis. That was actually my first question to one of the reps, "Xtrema vs. Super Black Eagle for hardcore waterfowl hunting". Without question he said Xtrema, and this is an unbiased view as well because Franchi, Beretta, and Benelli are owned by the same company. He said the xtrema has the best features taken from Franchi, Beretta, and Benelli. I viewed the cut out cross section of the gun and he explained everything. It has "Franchi's" spring loaded recoil reducer in the the stock, Benelli's extended reciever, Beretta's gas system, and the list goes on and on. I shot a perfect set on the range, and noticed substantially reduced blowback and recoil. The recoil reducer coupled with the gas system enables you to shoot 3.5's with the recoil of 3's in a nutshell, but this is not advertised, you just need to shoot one to find out for yourself. I have always shot an 870, but everytime I shoot half of a box of magnums through it, my cheekbone feels black and blue, no matter how I shoot it.

Also, my friend shot in an ironman clay target event and said that several of the benelli's wouldnt cycle the light loads and the beretta's performed flawlessly. Why buy a gun that wont cycle light loads?

Jereme Thaxton

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello Jereme,
Welcome to the Shotgunworld.com Forum!
Thanks for the post. It was very informative and we hope you keep coming back :D
regards,
Jay Gentry
Shotgunworld.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:22 pm 
Also, Beretta totally redesigned the 391 Xtrema unlike any other of their autoloaders. The gas system is totally new as well and is supposed to be the best self cleaner out there, but time will tell.