CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: mossberg 500 Vs remington 870
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 4:07 pm 
Utility Grade

what is the difference in the mossberg 500 and the remington 870? Also what do the remington get that the mossberg doesn't? <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: Re: mossberg 500 Vs remington 870
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 10:22 pm 
Global Moderator

The 870 has more metal vs plastic??<br><br>Its more about personal appeal and fit of either gun. They will both go bang, break targets, and kill critters. Generally, the Mossbergs can be found with multi-barrels, one with interchangeable chokes and the other with rifle sights--unless they have changed in the last few years...<br><br>My question is why did you narrow your choices down to these two shotguns? Price, availability, what was the deciding factor(s) and what is going to put one over the top? <p>There is a fine line between a hobby and insanity.</p><i></i>

~~There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness~~

"Women and Cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."--Robert A. Heinlein--

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 3:02 pm 
Field Grade

In my opinion they are both the same. I think it's all dependant on preference.<br><br>Rick, doesn't the 870 come with a rifled barrel if you get the combo? <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.remington.com/firearms/shotguns/870excmb.htm">www.remington.com/firearms/shotguns/870excmb.htm</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> <p>A woman has the last word in any argument. Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.<br></p><i></i>

Post subject: 500 vs 870
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 9:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

nah nah nah. The Mossberg has alumn. reciever, safety on top of said reciever, plastic trigger plate, shell lifter that fits flush on the bottom of the bolt, stock shim kits for fit, cheaper aftermarket barr.s, lower investment cost new, etc. Remington has steel reciever, safety in the trigger plate, trigger plate of alumn, shell lifter flush with the bottom of the reciever, no stock shim kit for fit, barrs. are more pricee, slightly higher new cost. I would give the edge to Remington for length of service in the field. Yes both go bang, one is a VW the other is a Buick. Shells <p></p><i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:59 pm 
Field Grade

Ok, this is an old post, ut I just saw it. I owned both, and dumped the 870 Remington. I will never part w/ my Mossberg 500. Reason; 870 has a nasty habit of getting shells stuck under the lifter. You must disasemble the gun to get it out. Not good in the woods, not good at all. And for some reason, police departments and Prison's all over the US keep buying the Remington's. The Remington is nicer to look at, but If I can't trust it out hunting, I sure as hell wouldn't want to try to defend myself or others with it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:22 pm 
Crown Grade

I have been using 870's since 1972.

This use includes upland game and extensive clay target use for 33 years. The target shooting includes skeet doubles and sporting clays where cycling from the magazine is a frequent necessity.

I have owned seven 870's and currently have five. Wingmaster 870 12g LC, Wingmaster 20g Ltwt, 870TB Trap, 870TC Trap, 870SA Skeet.

hicomp2 wrote:
870 has a nasty habit of getting shells stuck under the lifter.

I have never had this issue with any of my 870's.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:37 am 
I like steel guns and the 870 has steel. I have 4 870's and no problems. -Dick

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:48 pm 
Field Grade

OK, I see this post has been around for awhile, but I can say that I just bought a 870 after shooting my buddy's Mossy 500 a few times. After shooting the 500, I noticed how sloppy and loose the pump was and didn't find comfortable. For fit and finish, the remmy blows the Mossberg away and they're both around the same $'s.
I'll be shooting the 870 this weekend to see if it'll outperform the 500 with the clays.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:20 pm 
Utility Grade

All that I've got to say is this: I've shot the Remmy, and I've shot the Mossy. Both are reliable, both will serve wonderfully as a home defense weapon. I myself own a remmy with all kinds of doodles and whatsits attached. If you're hard up for cash, well, go with the 500. It can be found for almost $60 less that the 870. However, if you wanna have a little fun "tricking out" your scattergun, the the 870 definitely has the upper hand in terms of high speed gadgets you can tack on. I bought a bone stock 870 home defense model (synthetic stock, 5 round magazine) for about $280 and have since thrown on about $500 bucks worth of accessories. Surefire pump, tac star side saddle shell holder, wilson combat track lok ghost ring sights, tac star 2 round mag extension, specter gear sling. I am very pround of it and enjoy showing it off. Does anyone think I went a little overboard?