CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: franchi I-12 vs. beretta 3901
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:17 pm 
Utility Grade

i like both the guns. the gold stalker is a bit out of my price range. which of these guns performs better? is easier to clean? has more durability? better for sporting clays? the franchi is about 100 bucks cheaper. the franchi only weighs 0.38 lbs. more.

Post subject: Re: franchi I-12 vs. beretta 3901
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:20 pm 
Utility Grade

which one has less recoil? i didn't see an aiming bead on the franchi. i've never gone without one. is it harder without a bead? or better once u get used to it?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:22 pm 
Utility Grade

which one has less recoil? the franchi is driven by a spring (not gas valve) which is better? plus the franchi doesn't have an aiming bead. i've never gone without one. is it easy once u get used to it?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:56 pm 
Utility Grade

also, what about the stoeger model 2000? how does it compare with the other two. it is also "inertia driven". is this a + or a -?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:06 pm 

The Franchi I-12 is a pretty new model. Only a handful of guys here own one.
Both designs are very good, but not any better than the other. Most tend to think gas operated guns have less felt recoil that an Inertia or Long Recoil operated gun.
The 3901 is pretty much a Beretta 390 with a rounded receiver only and no bolt lock back lever. It's Gas design is very good at cycling all range of loads and has been around since about 1990. The I-12 is based off the Benelli Inertia action. It's a simple design and one of the easiest semi auto's to clean. Cycling the lighter loads is not the Inertia operation strongest attribute. The Franchi 712 would be a better comparison. The stoeger 2000 is similar to the I-12. It is a little lighter and does not come with shims for the stock. It's overall quality is slightly less than the Franchi line hence it's lower price. I think it's a good gun for the money though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:43 pm 
Diamond Grade

badger, don't know what I-12 you looked at, but my I-12 has a bead on the end of the barrel as well as a smaller one about halfway down the barrel.

As for recoil, all other things being equal (recoil pad, gun fit, etc.), the 3901 would have (in theory) less felt recoil than the inertia-driven I-12 or Stoeger 2000. I doubt you'll find many people who would opt for an inertia gun over a gas gun if the shotgun were going to be used almost exclusively for clays. However, I think the recoil pad on my I-12 is very good and I'm not sure it shoots much "harder" than the gas shotguns I've tried out.

Like Worc stated, the inertia guns aren't designed to shoot target loads and the I-12's minimum recommended load is 1 1/8oz, but my I-12 has easily cycled 1 oz game loads.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:39 pm 
Utility Grade

We just recieved a new I12 in the store and I had a chance to look it over. The barrel to reciever fit doesn't seem quite right, but it might be the Max 4 finish. If you shoot heavy loads, you might find problems with the trigger guard hitting you in the finger. My M2 has the same shape as the I12 and it hurts to shoot hot loads (waterfowl - 1700fps).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

netstar1 wrote:
My M2 has the same shape as the I12 and it hurts to shoot hot loads (waterfowl - 1700fps).

1700 fps!!! :shock: :shock: Didn't know stuff that hot was available.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:33 pm 
Utility Grade

CrusherT wrote:
netstar1 wrote:
My M2 has the same shape as the I12 and it hurts to shoot hot loads (waterfowl - 1700fps).

1700 fps!!! :shock: :shock: Didn't know stuff that hot was available.

These are steel reloads using RSI load data for 3 inch.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:42 pm 
Field Grade

My hunting partner got an I-12 a few months ago. We have been having a record quail season and are shooting the hell out of the birds.

He has put probably close to 1500 rounds through it so far. It has never malfunctioned once.

We fed it a wide range of ammo, from fiocchi and estates down cheap bulk loads, as well as light target loads.

He even let it go several hunting trips and a couple of days of clays between cleaning, to see what effect it might have on it. The action was very clean considering the amount of ammo put through it. The fit and finish, and wood were all quite good for the price point.

Cons: I wish it was lighter, then it would be the perfect midrange semi auto quail killer.

The recoil pad works, it reduces recoil very well. It is also sticky as hell and hangs up on me quite often, although my friend doesnt have the same issue.

So far I am impressed with it overall.

That being said, the beretta is one hell of a gas gun, and easy to clean, and very reliable.

I actually like the way berettas fit and feel a bit better. Either way I dont think you could go wrong.

If it was me I would buy another side by side though,lol.

Post subject: re: franchi I-12 vs. beretta 3901
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:50 am 
Utility Grade

Late this summer I started searching for a new semi-auto 12 ga to add versatility to my hunting arsenal. I wanted to improve my waterfowling equipment. I initially felt the need to add the ability to use 3 1/2 shells. After reviewing the added shot capacity, limited shell selection and added cost I quickly came to the conclusion that anything that could not be taken with the standard 3" selections would live to fly another day. Initially I thaught the search would end with a Benelli Super Black eagle their reputation in waterfowl circles is legend. My initial efforts centered around this gun. Once I eliminated thae 3 1/2 shells as a requirement the SBE lost one of its big advantages. I tried the gun out and was unimpressed with it's feel and handling. The forend is wider than it needs to be and is not all that comfortable, even in my big mits. I must confess that I have owned a Franchi 48 AL which I've used on upland birds for 35 years and have cycled thousands of rounds through it without failures in the field. I've often said that the Franchi 48 AL has a built in pheasant finder. I would not allow myself to be stuck with brand loyalty and I sampled a variety of other offerings including the Franchi I-12. The SBE has a price tag that is not commensurate with the advantages it offers. I was determined to find the best gun for my needs and price was not a determining factor I would have opted for the SBE in a minute if I felt it was a superior firearm. I was immediately impressed with the I12's narrower forend and near perfect balance. The trademark Franchi pointability and patented "pheasant finder" has been transeferred into the I12. I prefer a light shotgun and the Franchi recoil system makes shooting waterfowl loads tolerable if not completely comfortable. The gun patterns well with a variety of waterfowl loads and I have been impressed with its "reach" in the field. I've used it on both pheasant and ducks with great results. The only mechanical issue that I have with the gun is the cocking lever. When you're faced with a three shot limit on waterfowl you will eventually face situations where you are furiously jamming shells into the chamber in hopes of cashing in. If you don't remember to engage the cocking lever prior to loading you will end up with a live round in an uncocked gun. I've considered this as gods revenge on the greedy but it is an unfortunate design issue that was not present on the design of the 48 AL. Experience in the field will lesson the incidence of this design flaw but take this to the bank,you're going to get burned by it sooner or later. The greed factor can't be taken out of any hunter worth his salt. My input is simply this if you want a firearm with a legend and price tag to match buy the SBE. If you want an efficient, reliable hunting firearm buy the I-12 and quietly feel sorry for the guy who paid to much.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:54 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Gun Tests Magazine did a comparison test with the Stoeger 2000 and the Franchi I-12. The 2000 beat the I-12. The I-12 had some quality and jamming issues while the 2000 kept on pumping them out.

The reason, IMO, that they compared them is that the 2000 and the I-12 share a common action. The actions are made at the old Vursan factory (now Stoeger SSA in Istanbul).

I have a couple of the 2000s and they are as reliable as any gun that I have ever had. Neither the 2000 or the I-12 is as refined as the Benelli actions. For the money, I'll take the 2000.

If I was a clay shooter, I'd try the 2000 for fit first. Then go from there if it didn't fit. The New Model 2000 fits much better than the old model. It has a higher rib and is manufactured using the high tech CNC tooling.

I can't afford the Benelli so I have to buy I can afford for me and my sons.

I do what I want, when I want, wherever I want....as long as my wife says its OK.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:57 pm 
Field Grade

Although I had some issues with my I-12 during break in, I am really enjoying it now. I find that the recoil on everything except 1 3/8 oz. feels as good if not better than my gas operated Rem. SPR453. It cycles 1 oz. loads without a hitch even though the manual states that it is designed for 1 1/8 oz. loads and greater. Because the 1 3/8 oz. load will only be used for hunting with the limited shooting and adrenalin this isn't a problem either. For me at 5' 11" and 165 lbs the Franchi I-12 is a great fit. I also like the way it balances and its shape much better than the Stoeger 2000 that I also considered. The I-12 is a better finish overall as well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:34 am 
Diamond Grade

The New Model Stoeger 2000 camo with a Limbsaver pad sets you back less than $500. I am very happy with it. The Limbsaver really tames the recoil. Never a problem even during break-in.

We don't need more laws; we need more common sense!