CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 20 Ga. Buck Shot
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:22 pm 
Field Grade

Is # 3 buckshot in 20Ga. anygood for hunting deer/pigs at close range?
I cant seem to find any other size buckshot in 20. Box says it has 24 pellets. Patterns okay out to say 25 yds.

Long story short. My son has a 243 Rossi deer rifle but I got him an 870 youth for Christmas. He wanted to take the 870 on late season deer hunts. We had a doe permit and shot would have been close. I wasnt confident in the sugs so opted for buckshot and all I could fine was #3. We didnt get a shot but was wanting some opinions on 20 ga. buckshot.

Post subject: Re: 20 Ga. Buck Shot
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:32 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Most states do not let you shoot buck shot anymore. Slugs are much better than they used to be. Just get some practice before the season and use slugs. #3 buck shot might work a very close range but it is really for coyote sized animals.

The problem with using a shotgun is that you do not have the range and accuracy of a rifle.

go with slugs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:38 am 
Diamond Grade

[quote="Big Daddy K"]"Is # 3 buckshot in 20Ga. anygood for hunting deer/pigs at close range?"

No, it is a notorious wounder of game, which is why it is increasingly banned for any big game. Number 3 buckshot is, I believe, only something like .22 caliber.

"My son has a 243 Rossi deer rifle..."

And you should insist that he use it as the most effective and humane gun he has for deer hunting.

Alternatively, I'd consider allowing him to develop his proficiency with rifled slugs with the 20 during the off-season, and see how he does. If he can learn to shoot slugs accurately, then he has a short-range gun to use in heavy brush or where a centerfire rifle isn't allowed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:13 am 
Crown Grade

#3 is definately too light. 0 or 00 buck would be much better, but slugs would be your best bet. as mentioned above, taking the animal humanely is the most important part.

personally, i think the .243 would work better for hogs and smaller deer.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

I just got an 870 jr. 20 ga. and have done some looking at 20 ga. shells. #3 buck is about all that's made for the 20. I can't find anything different. #3 buck is not big enough for consistant clean kills on deer.

20 gauge rifled slugs can be effective deer killers but they seem to drop off energy pretty bad beyond 50 yards. Sabot rounds and Brenneke brand slugs have much more punch beyond 50 yards than the basic 20 gauge rifled slugs. But, the sabots are for rifled barrels only. If you don't have a rifled slug barrel, the Brenneke slugs should get your 20 gauge out to 75, maybe even 100 yards with a smoothbore. But, it pretty tough to shoot accurately beyond 50 yards with just a bead for a sight, anyway.

In any case, I don't see any reason to fear using slugs on deer. They will be much more effective than #3 buckshot.

I agree that the .243 has much more effective range than the 20 gauge shotgun. But inside of 50 yards the slugs will kill deer with great authority. I don't blame your son for wanting to use the 20 gauge. Just make sure it shoots reasonable accurately and that he understands its range limitations.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:11 pm 
Limited Edition

Big Daddy K wrote:
Is # 3 buckshot in 20Ga. anygood for hunting deer/pigs at close range?
I cant seem to find any other size buckshot in 20. Box says it has 24 pellets. Patterns okay out to say 25 yds.

Long story short. My son has a 243 Rossi deer rifle but I got him an 870 youth for Christmas. He wanted to take the 870 on late season deer hunts. We had a doe permit and shot would have been close. I wasnt confident in the sugs so opted for buckshot and all I could fine was #3. We didnt get a shot but was wanting some opinions on 20 ga. buckshot.

All companies load 20ga 2¾" #3 Buck (.25) 20 pellets per shell. In addition Federal® loads 20ga 3" #2 Buck (.27) 18 pellets per shell. Back in the late 70's & early 80's I was stationed in Virginia. Used to hunt Prince George Co & the rules were: Shotgun only, buckshot only, and bucks only. With all the limitations the locals still killed a lot of deer. Only answer is to pattern your gun.

2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, & Marine
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1 Cross + 3 Nails = 4 Given

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:45 pm 
Site Sponsor

If you reload, Alliant has a great recipe for 20 ga 3" with 12 #1 buckshot. A few of the lady hunters use that load down here in the swamps and kill deer and hogs each year. Be sure to buy the extra hard buckshot that ballistic Products sell.......forget the #2's and #3's!.........James

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:31 pm 
Diamond Grade

3 Buck is 25 calibre. 3 Buck will work on deer or hogs if you have a close broadside shot. I would not shoot further than 20 yards or so. I've killed a few Florida hogs with them at those ranges. Full choke / 20yards / broadside = pig on the smoker.

Many people say that buckshot is a crippler and a poor performer. Those are generally people who have never used it or don't have enough experience with it to make an informed judgement. Larger shot sizes like 00 and 000 work great on almost anything that walks on this planet if used within it's limitations. Buckshot is commonly the only thing you can use on heavily populated areas in the East.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:25 am 
Utility Grade

killed one yesterday 80-90lb spike Fl. deer when through left shoulder heart and into the right shoulder with only 1 pellet hitting. He was shot at 30 yds and ran maybe 60yd hit the ground so hard broke his nose

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:50 pm 
Limited Edition

cleidus88 wrote:
killed one yesterday 80-90lb spike Fl. deer when through left shoulder heart and into the right shoulder with only 1 pellet hitting. He was shot at 30 yds and ran maybe 60yd hit the ground so hard broke his nose
What were you shooting, gauge & load?

2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, & Marine
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1 Cross + 3 Nails = 4 Given

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:33 pm 
Field Grade

The # 3 or #2 buckshot placed in the kill zones at close range ,ie. less than 35 yards are enough to kill deer. 000 buck in the front leg,hind quarter,paunch, may slow one down to where a dog or coyote can catch it but are not immediate kills. Know your gun and its limitations. Your son is fine with the #3 IF he does his job.

As mentioned, slugs, such as the Brenneke KO slugs are for the smoothbores and very effective up to 40 yards or more with open sights. Be sure to see what pattern the gun has since many view the buckshot as killing machines at any distance while it is truer that at close range it is very effective.