CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1100 remington piston seal installation.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 10:30 am 
Some one may have already posted such a topic but anyway, I bought an 1100 Remington magnum from a friend; it has two barrels, 3” and a skeet 2 ¾. I took it out to shoot with the skeet barrel on it and found that it would not kick back the bolt and load another shell. I was shooting light 2 ¾ loads and assumed that it was the load it self and switch to a high brass load, still no bolt action. I took the barrel off and could see that the piston assembly was missing. I have since ordered a new barrel seal and piston assembly and put it on the gun, still no bolt action. The piston assembly comes in two parts, did I put the piston assembly together wrong? I looked in the owner’s manual and it looks ok. Any ideas on what is going on would be appreciated. :roll:

Post subject: Re: 1100 remington piston seal installation.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 11:36 am 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

WAS THIS A NEW STYLE OR OLD STYLE?
The simplest way to describe the old style installation would be flat lower piston seal with concave up tp receive the upper piston seal these two will mate then install o-ring.
RON K

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 5:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

Yeah, it's not too hard to get the piston assemblies onto the tube properly, and the manual is pretty good at showing this. Here's an exploded view that's okay, and if you look close enough items 73 & 74 show how they should go together in relation to the tube in the diagram:

That wedged part of 73 fits into 74 perfectly, then slid onto the tube. And here's another site that fully describes disassembly & reassembly of the 1100, with pics. Do check it out here:

http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/show ... adid=70691

Here's the okay pic from there:

God, let's hope none of us let our shotguns get as filthy as the one in that thread! :wink:

Of course, let's hope that you are also installing the "oh so important" rubber O-ring as well. It ain't gonna' cycle without that in place as well... That would be part 12 in the diagram, and here's another okay pic from the refugeefourms site:

Beyond checking those things, the general operation of the mechanism is quite simple: When a shell blasts down that barrel, a little gas bleeds off through those little holes in the barrel up where the O-ring and pistons lie. When that gas blast comes through those holes it pushes the pistons back and makes the slide assembly fly back, which smashes back the shell receiver which ejects the shell, while another comes up from the tube below, and finally the receiver spring automatically slams the receiver shut, all ready for another cycle, or somethin' like that... :wink: I'm sure you get the idea...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 8:31 pm 
The Remington 1100 Magnum 3inch has a heavier Mainspring than the two and 3/4 inch guns--if you want to shoot the lighter skeet loads you may have to change springs.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:18 am 
Thanks for all your help, this is the problem, I'm not sure what year the gun is, and ordered the piston assembly from Brownells. Will the new piston kit work on all the 1100"s? If so, is there a better picture out there somewhere, where I can look at to make sure it's installed correctly?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:07 pm 
Tournament Grade

fubberedup wrote:
Thanks for all your help, this is the problem, I'm not sure what year the gun is, and ordered the piston assembly from Brownells. Will the new piston kit work on all the 1100"s? If so, is there a better picture out there somewhere, where I can look at to make sure it's installed correctly?

Okay fubb,
First, here's a pic of how the pistons and O-ring should look when installed (2-part piston):

This is a pic of a Remington 1100 LT-20 Youth, but looks identical for all the 1100 series - pretty self explanatory.

As far as the single piston style (like my newer 1100 has) it essentially looks just like the dual/split pistons when they're slid together - the shape and dimensions are practically identical. Although I wouldn't doubt that they're interchangeable, I'm not a gunsmith, so don't quote me on that one...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 4:13 pm 
Field Grade

Tom--- where did you get a COPPER 1100? Or are you just having too much fun with Photoshop?

-- Q

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 8:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

Actually, I think that's what ya get when you leave the white-balance on the camera set up for sunlight, when photographing with tungsten light (light bulb). Sorta' throws off the colors a bit... :( Sorry 'bout that... :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:26 am 
Diamond Grade

I might add, meticulously clean gun there Tom.

Obviously, not shooting the Wal-Mart specials!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:06 pm 
Well I found the old piston seal ( two part) and it works fine, I put the new piston assembly in, which by the way it snaps together, no good. Has any one seen or used the new type?

Post subject: 11-87 remington piston seal, O-ring
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:45 pm 
Field Grade

I recently bought an 11-87. I am trying to learn more about the mechanics and maintenance of the gun. Remington has terrific schematics but I lack the understanding to the reasons behind the unfamiliar parts. My first being the barrel seal or "o-ring". When I first bought the gun, after inspection the o-ring had a tight fit (neoprene?). After I ran about 50 rounds though it, one thing I notice while cleaning was the o-ring was looser and came right off. Also, unlike before it had become much thinner. So I have spent some time looking for some type of viton or teflon o-ring. But I pause to ask why? Do I need a kick butt o-ring that I haven't been able to find at any automotive or scuba shops so far (Order from Rem.get another weak one for 5 bucks?). Why is this o-ring important in operation or is it just there to prevent the seal assembly from slipping off the magazine tube. The o-ring isn't brittle of cracked it just seems to have expanded under the enormous heat and pressure. I query this whole o-ring topic because I have had a small problem with the cycle of the gun, but I think it might be the 1 oz loads I use. But maybe a newer improved o-ring would help, or are these two issues related?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

Alrighty then, hopefully this pic will help explain that O-ring:

In this pic I've removed the O-ring from the magazine tube and placed it where it sits within the barrel assembly when barrel & receiver are mated together.

The operation is as follows (for the most part) - A shell is fired through the barrel, a little of the powder charge/gas bleeds out through those two little holes in the barrel and enters the piston assembly. That O-ring keeps any gasses from escaping through that end of the piston assembly, thus forcing all the gasses toward the sliding piston(s). The piston(s) are slammed into the slide assembly, thus pushing it into the action and compressing the main action spring (just as if you opened the action by hand), ejects the spent shell, and another comes up from below from within the magazine tube (pushed into the action from the compression spring within the magazine tube), and finally the main action spring slams the action closed again, all ready for the next shot, and all within a fraction of a second. I'm sure my terminology leaves something to be desired, but I bet you get the idea - a well lubed machine... :wink:

Now, what do you think would happen if you forget to put that O-ring in place? I'll tell ya - your gun will not cycle. You'll load a shell and fire it, but it won't eject - you'll have to do it manually. Happens because all the pressure needed to start the process of getting those pistons moving escapes through the front of the magazine tube where that O-ring should be sealing the connection tight.

As far as replacement O-rings, you bet you can get generic sort of replacements at the hardware store, and they're just pennies each. They may not be the exact same size as the actual Remington O-rings, but as long as you're close they'll work just fine. I've heard the Remington O-rings are actually embedded with Teflon or something similar, but I don't know this for a fact. Matter of fact, if you think about it, why the heck would Teflon help in this case anyways? The o-ring does not move in operation, it just seals, so why would a lubricant like Teflon help in this case? Bunch of Bologna if ya ask me. I've read posts somewhere where the writer told of the exact size of O-rings you can use from the hardware store for both the 12 and 20 gauge. Another place to get quick & easy is on EBAY, like I did. Check this auction for instance:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=36258

I bet if ya e-mail the guy he'd sell 'em to ya outright for $10 for five. Take a little time at a couple hardware stores and you'd probably get five for a buck... :roll:

P.S. - about cycling with light loads -
My 1100 is a Sporting 12, which is chambered for 2-3/4" shells only. It has absolutely no problem cycling with any load. Yet I understand if you have an 1100 that chambers magnum rounds (3" or 3-1/2") in addition to 2-3/4", then you are gonna' have probs with light load 2-3/4" shells cycling the action. Just the way is is I hear, no matter how clean and well lubed you keep all the internals. Hopefully someone can expound on that for you...

P.P.S. - Incidentally, know what the worst spot is on an 1100 to clean? It's right under where that O-ring sits in the picture above. The fouling under and around that O-ring gets horrible, even after just a hundred shells. Clean EXTRA well in this area, and use solvent and your fingernail to scape the crud off of that O-ring every time you clean and it'll last a long, long time...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:17 am 
Tournament Grade

You should check the ring before and after shooting. I bet it expands/contracts with heat, and after a few rounds should seal better.

Also what about sealing the ring with some goop/grease ext would that work?

Also what about opening up the 2 holes to make more air flow through to cycle the action. I wonder if gunsmiths would do this... not that you should do it yourself.

Also would light loads with more powder have better cycling. Maybe using 3+ Dram eq.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:24 pm 
Field Grade

After I get this o-ring suited up I will try to cylce those 1oz loads and than try finding a shell with more powder for a more powerful explosion.

Anyone want to go in with me for a bag of 25 viton o-rings for the 1100 and 1187 models. $13.55 for 25 rings. Let me know. :)

Post subject: Remington 11-87 o-rings
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:19 pm 
Utility Grade

The o-ring on my two year old Remington 11-87 busted recently.

It is the SPS Deer model, and I have shot only 3" slugs out of it. From what I've read, it appears this is very common when shooting non-2 3/4" shells.

The local hardware store sells o-rings for $0.34 each.

I located a site which sells 25 Viton o-rings for around $6.00, plus $7 shipping.

corrected: The size is 1/16" W x 15/16" I.D. x 1 1/16" O.D.

The size is AS568A-021.

http://www.allorings.com/

Don't mean to make anybody mad, but I just can't see paying $5 or more for a replacement o-ring.

Happy hunting.

Last edited by zeb on Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:47 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Zeb,

I agree with you on buying the Viton o-rings, but are you sure of those measurements? I have an 1100 and I bought some Viton o-rings that were 15/16" I.D. and 1 1/16" O.D. The diameter of the ring material is, of course, 1/16". I've used these and they work. In fact, I've never broken one of them. I keep it soaked in Breakfree CLP all the time too, and so far it has never hurt it.

BTW, I checked my notes on this and the size I got was 021. This is perhaps 1/16" smaller diameter than the 022 that you got.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Ulysses, The size you mention is what I use. That matches a factory seal.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:07 pm 
Ulysses and Remington,

As my o-ring was broken, I could have easily been off on my measurement. :oops:

I haven't shot it with this size yet, so I'll take your word for it. And I'm only out $1.00.

Thanks for correcting my mistake before somebody ordered 25 of the wrong size.

BTW, I don't see any way to edit my earlier post. Am I missing something?

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:50 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Guest wrote: "BTW, I don't see any way to edit my earlier post. Am I missing something?"

Yes, you ARE missing something. Only members can edit their posts. Why don't you join us? There are other advantages as well. For example, even if you put a name on your Guest posts, there is nothing to prevent some other guest from writing something absurd or offensive and putting the same name on it, and people would think it was you writing it. By registering, only YOU can post under that name. Also, you can later revise (edit) your posts.

Edited to add:

Guest, if you are Zeb, then perhaps the reason you couldn't edit your previous post was because you were not logged in. I STAY logged in. I see no reason to log out.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:36 pm 
Utility Grade

Yep, that was me.

I didn't realize that I wasn't logged in until after I posted.

Thanks again, Ulysses.